• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I wouldn’t go that far, but the government should tell people they need to lose weight or encourage them to get fitter. Cancer Research got flak for a campaign they did a few years ago about obesity and how it’s one of the main causes of cancer and were told it was “fat shaming”. The fact that we live in a world where the first concern for some is people’s feelings rather than potentially getting healthier and saving lives is beyond comprehension for me.
The government, via UK health services,should set guideance and suggest along the lines of health.
Only a Dr should tell people to lose weight.
A Govt are not medical professionals.
To tell citizens exactly what they must do is Communism.
Govt should act to create a healthy society to empower people to be healthy. A society in which food banks are prevalent, healthy food is more expensive than junk food to the point where healthy food is difficult to afford, where living costs create stress that can be alleviated by the dopamine of sugar, cigarettes, alcohol etc....is not a healthy society.

Physical and mental sides shouldn't be seen in silo. Ultimately our brain dictates what we need.
Govt should push things like eating fruit and veg.

A bit like we did with milk in the 80s.
I'd also be in favour of something along the lines of the shock tactics cigarettes use.

But the notion on any level to remove a mechanism that supports peoples lives is utterly abhorrent, on a morale level. And on a practical level is tone deaf.

@Danishfurniturelover

They do. fit4life and other campaigns run by the Government, encourage just what you are suggesting. CRUK and BHF still emphasise the link between obesity, cancer and heart disease.

If you are talking about “fat shaming” working as a means to lose weight, actual studies suggest it does the opposite. If you are interested have a read of the following:-

Tackling obesity at a population level, like many things in life, is complex and requires a properly coordinated strategy involving some of the following, reducing the availability of high calorific foods, curbs on advertising such food, education on cooking and nutrition, medical interventions as well as encouraging exercise and fitness. What generally doesn’t help though is pointing and staring at “fat people.”

I agree fat shaming isn’t the most effective way to get people to stop people overeating but that’s not what the campaign was doing, they were pointing out the link between obesity and cancer and the statistics back up their thesis. That’s not fat shaming to point out cold hard facts. They have to be able to do their job and get messaging out there, even if it does upset people. Some campaigns do work when you shock people into action.

It hasnt been means tested. So even multi billionaire King Charles gets his. It is becoming means tested, which is what this fuss is about.

I knew a couple who used to save theirs as a fund for their speeding fines from all their sports cars
Ironically, Pravda tells me there are 880,000 households that could claim pensioner benefits that aren't.

So if even half of them start claiming in order to keep their winter fuel allowance, this will be yet another Labour policy that costs taxpayers more than it gains.

My poor, poor ears. They simply can't cope with the relentless grandstanding Two Tier Kier is doing over all the police attacked at Carnival this year.

If I have to hear him shout about immediate justice and long sentences for them one more time....

My poor, poor ears. They simply can't cope with the relentless grandstanding Two Tier Kier is doing over all the police attacked at Carnival this year.

If I have to hear him shout about immediate justice and long sentences for them one more time....
I wondered if anyone actually used ‘Two Tier Keir’ in the real world. Thanks for confirming.

[(
Ironically, Pravda tells me there are 880,000 households that could claim pensioner benefits that aren't.

So if even half of them start claiming in order to keep their winter fuel allowance, this will be yet another Labour policy that costs taxpayers more than it gains.

Same old same old. The cost to you that might benefit someone further down the food chain.

It's quite simple to know the perfect way this policy should function....and if ends up costing more....so be it.

I am expecting the 35 who were arrested for attacking police officers the past weekend fast tracked through the courts and sentenced this week

Heard Starmer on radio this morning confirming country is in the brick and it's going to be a long painful journey to sort things out. Refreshing to hear a politician tell the truth, I suspect there will be many moaning when the taxes increase but only a fool can't see the NHS has been badly mismanaged and under funded for decades and the rich just getting richer. As long as we live in a country where the media think a group of middle aged men reforming a pop group is headline news the population live in ignorance.

Heard Starmer on radio this morning confirming country is in the brick and it's going to be a long painful journey to sort things out. Refreshing to hear a politician tell the truth, I suspect there will be many moaning when the taxes increase but only a fool can't see the NHS has been badly mismanaged and under funded for decades and the rich just getting richer. As long as we live in a country where the media think a group of middle aged men reforming a pop group is headline news the population live in ignorance.
I want to see what their plans are on science and research and development bit will wait to see if anything comes up in the first budget.

The thing is government should be quite quick to implement things because that is what their time in opposition should be spent working on.

I'm also not quite convinced that they did not know the state of the countries finances as the opposition party have meant to be kept fully aware of it by the civil service. But again that is to be expected that the id a degree of political point scoring.

As long as the new taxes target those who don't pay their share - the rich and big business. Capital gains, inheritance tax, end the triple lock etc.

Separate point - Oasis and Britpop was the last state school musical movement. Everything since has been private school and music academies. Maybe the reunion is a good omen for the future - the working class finding its voice again?

Separate point - Oasis and Britpop was the last state school musical movement. Everything since has been private school and music academies. Maybe the reunion is a good omen for the future - the working class finding its voice again?

It's not newsworthy in the main news, it's a magazine programme subject, you'll only get state school music if teachers and equipment are supplied and that costs money via taxes and nobody wants to pay more tax, especially for kids playing music.

As long as the new taxes target those who don't pay their share - the rich and big business. Capital gains, inheritance tax, end the triple lock etc.

I can't agree about inheritance tax, my parents were born into poverty and through hard work and a bit of luck (which we all need) worked the way up the ladder, I left school at 15 with no qualifications and followed my parents example and have always worked, paid my taxes and luckily never claimed any benefits, I'm now in a position to pass my estate on to my children, why should the fruits of my labours be taken from my family when I die?

Last edited:
I can't agree about inheritance tax, my parents were born into poverty and through hard work and a bit of luck (which we all need) worked the way up the ladder, I left school at 15 with no qualifications and followed my parents example and have always worked, paid my taxes and luckily never claimed any benefits, I'm now in a position to pass my estate on to my children, why should my labours be taken from my family when I die?

Because you only have to pay 40% on anything over £1/2m if it's going to children. Only the richest 5% of the population have to pay anything.

The proposals are to tackle loopholes being used in stocks, shares, pensions and land; house inheritance will stay as it is.

Because you only have to pay 40% on anything over £1/2m if it's going to children. Only the richest 5% of the population have to pay anything.

The proposals are to tackle loopholes being used in stocks, shares, pensions and land; house inheritance will stay as it is.

Sorry I can't see why you think that's an excuse, I'm not the Duke of Westminster with massive wealth passed on to me, it's a tax which effects a lot of working people living in South East region.

Sorry I can't see why you think that's an excuse, I'm not the Duke of Westminster with massive wealth passed on to me, it's a tax which effects a lot of working people living in South East region.
But you're still in the top 5% richest people in the country. Its just a mechanism to make a fair share contribution to improving public services. Spoilt kids become tossers anyway

Back