• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

They are very serious about it, and have incredible determination

Headliners Podcast:

“People say you shouldn’t exist, well I do exist” The gender fluid actor, also known as Suzy talks to Nihal being a ‘serious’ actor, getting into politics and dyslexia.

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/headliners/id925357185?i=1000614875644

Saturday morning pedantry but that is calling out for an Oxford comma. Unless s/he did really talk about 'getting into...dyslexia'.

Brighton my adopted home town has many problems, none of which can be helped by that virtue signalling plonker.

Would not be against a trans person, just not that one.

Rumours of Steve Cogan standing for the liberals in nearby Lewes.

Brighton my adopted home town has many problems, none of which can be helped by that virtue signalling plonker.

Would not be against a trans person, just not that one.

Rumours of Steve Cogan standing for the liberals in nearby Lewes.

Maybe he will come out as a rational voice in the ongoing hounding in the trans debate. Another example of it this weekend with people calling TV channels to have someone cancelled. Although I did enjoy the topical typo from the Mirror

upload_2023-8-7_12-9-38.png

Maybe he will come out as a rational voice in the ongoing hounding in the trans debate. Another example of it this weekend with people calling TV channels to have someone cancelled. Although I did enjoy the topical typo from the Mirror

View attachment 15806

Once again, she hasn’t said anything wrong or said anything that the majority of the public would agree with but we all have to pretend we disagree with her and virtue signal on twitter. I’d also bet most of the people slagging her off would agree with her in private but they’re too cowardly to do it in public. Why don’t more famous people stand up to this type of bullying because that’s exactly what it is. People on twitter act like mean girls (from the film) sometimes. I think most right thinking people are all for trans rights and feel they shouldn’t be discriminated or attacked but that doesn’t make them automatically right about everything and it should be ok to disagree with them.

Once again, she hasn’t said anything wrong or said anything that the majority of the public would agree with but we all have to pretend we disagree with her and virtue signal on twitter. I’d also bet most of the people slagging her off would agree with her in private but they’re too cowardly to do it in public. Why don’t more famous people stand up to this type of bullying because that’s exactly what it is. People on twitter act like mean girls (from the film) sometimes. I think most right thinking people are all for trans rights and feel they shouldn’t be discriminated or attacked but that doesn’t make them automatically right about everything and it should be ok to disagree with them.

I think its a case of not reading whats written but reading the topic and deciding its offensive. Like anything there are transphobes out there, but the broad brush stroke now is the way people seem to be judging comments and then its all screaming and shouting thereafter. I said before I have tried to watch various Sunday Morning politics shows and 99.9% of the time it descends into no one listening and just incoherent screaming.

I would like to believe we are in a society where concerns can be mentioned without it descending into labels and slanging matched but that faith is eroded daily

I think its a case of not reading whats written but reading the topic and deciding its offensive. Like anything there are transphobes out there, but the broad brush stroke now is the way people seem to be judging comments and then its all screaming and shouting thereafter. I said before I have tried to watch various Sunday Morning politics shows and 99.9% of the time it descends into no one listening and just incoherent screaming.

I would like to believe we are in a society where concerns can be mentioned without it descending into labels and slanging matched but that faith is eroded daily

The problem, of course, with Social Media and AI is that for the large part it is hopelessly under regulated. It wouldn't surprise me that some of the most provocative opinions are actually written by bots or some other form of AI rather than real people to trigger either left or right wing posts. We know these bots are influencing society in all sorts of ways. Sadly it drowns out the important message all too often and it then infects all parts of the media too. We have seen it on so many issues from vaccinations to climate change.

It's good for platforms like Twitter or Facebook as it draws people to their site so they do as little as possible to regulate it. This will only get worse and more sophisticated while regulation is so lax yet it is a big threat to society.

Tories planning to campaign to leave the ECHR.

And people (right wing media and it's sheep following) acting like this is totally normal behaviour of a government. It really isn't.

Care to explain why that's a bad thing?

Because it gives a much needed balance and steadying presence against political idealogues of all variations, but especially from the right wing and economical fantasists who place wealth and 'productivity' over human rights and civil liberties.

Because it gives a much needed balance and steadying presence against political idealogues of all variations, but especially from the right wing and economical fantasists who place wealth and 'productivity' over human rights and civil liberties.
How are human rights in New Zealand? Or Canada?

Last time I checked neither were a part of the ECHR.

The problem, of course, with Social Media and AI is that for the large part it is hopelessly under regulated. It wouldn't surprise me that some of the most provocative opinions are actually written by bots or some other form of AI rather than real people to trigger either left or right wing posts. We know these bots are influencing society in all sorts of ways. Sadly it drowns out the important message all too often and it then infects all parts of the media too. We have seen it on so many issues from vaccinations to climate change.

It's good for platforms like Twitter or Facebook as it draws people to their site so they do as little as possible to regulate it. This will only get worse and more sophisticated while regulation is so lax yet it is a big threat to society.
The algorithms have been 'tweaked to stimulate engagement". Or in layman's terms, the troll (and bot) responses are being bumped in an attempt to stir the pot. And as Space Karen has shown on X (that name will never stick) a fair portion of his customer base and advertisers don't like it. I know myself I don't read the responses to any post anymore as it is just full of microdingdong contrarian views to the original post. Before I might dip into the first few responses but now there is no point. So yes, I 100% agree that we have to regulate this brick as it has such an outsized influence on how the populace thinks. It is not 'free speech', it is textbook brainwashing.

Again, claiming something is an issue without specifying why will hardly make much of a point.
I didn't realise that a tiny LOL would convey that much meaning. Who knew? I was hoping it might just mean I just laughed at your response.

Maybe you could outline why you think the rights contained in this convention are bad. Highlight the ones you don't like.

Because it is a European institution established by countries including GB after the war to protect it's citizens from the state? It is there, amongst other things, to protect citizens from torture, slavery, gives them a right to a fair trial and right to privacy.

All protections that are holding GB back of course. So let's chuck all that away to enable a venal, dishonest, free speech attacking, and self interested government to gas light it's citizens even more. Let's be like Russia and Belarus, the only countries in Europe not signed up to the convention. One thing that the Boris Johnson saga showed was how much of our constitution is subject to the whim of government and if the government doesn't respect it then there is little protection for the rest of us.

I have no idea what the Canadians and New Zealanders have in place, (although I am sure that their indigenous populations would love to have recourse to some of the legal protections the convention affords) but given that our freedoms are increasingly under threat from the Tory right I'd say the EHCR is pretty crucial. If it wasn't they would be so bothered about it

Last edited:

I think they inherited Magna Carta (which actually has covered all of "torture, slavery, right to a fair trial and right to privacy" since 1215) through common law/their constitutions

Jeez my wife is from Ecuador so always keep an eye on the news, one of their presidential candidates has been assassinated. Gunned down getting into his car. All because he rallied against general corruption and took a stance.

I know we had the MP in Southend who got stabbed but that was by someone with mental health issues and obviously Jo Cox but I feel it's only a matter of time till something similar happens in the UK or Western World the way things are being stoked up.

Jeez my wife is from Ecuador so always keep an eye on the news, one of their presidential candidates has been assassinated. Gunned down getting into his car. All because he rallied against general corruption and took a stance.

I know we had the MP in Southend who got stabbed but that was by someone with mental health issues and obviously Jo Cox but I feel it's only a matter of time till something similar happens in the UK or Western World the way things are being stoked up.

It's also happened in the Netherlands and at least one of Scandinavian countries.
Not as rare as we would like a to believe in the old world.

I didn't realise that a tiny LOL would convey that much meaning. Who knew? I was hoping it might just mean I just laughed at your response.

Maybe you could outline why you think the rights contained in this convention are bad. Highlight the ones you don't like.
It doesn't matter what the rights themselves are, the concept of a supranational body to make judgement on them is the issue.

That's especially so when that body does nothing to protect people from actual, real breaches of those rights. See below:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/29/transport.eu

Back