• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

i demand Coutts offer me a bank account, it's not fair.

but they dont have to right? because in the UK, a bank account is not a right.
Obviously you don't have the right to a bank account.

However, if you do have a bank account, you have the right to not have that bank's CEO telling the world how poor you are.

Obviously you don't have the right to a bank account.

However, if you do have a bank account, you have the right to not have that bank's CEO telling the world how poor you are.
But that's not the main issue is it as far as he is concerned? It's about them refusing him an account. Although tbh I am past giving a brick.

But that's not the main issue is it as far as he is concerned? It's about them refusing him an account. Although tbh I am past giving a brick.

No, he already had an account that they closed down and said it was because he didn't meet their income or investment requirements but it turns out that he does meet them for now but won't when his mortgage is paid off so therefore he could stay. The notes then said that his views were incompatible with their principles so he got de-banked. The CEO told the BBC it was because of his income and re-confirmed it when the BBC asked her to clarify, regardless the CEO can't go gossiping about people's accounts - there's a privacy aspect here and the CEO should know better.

Funnily enough Farage hasn't mentioned why he's banking at the ultra establishment bank of Coutts anyway.

It's not a manufactured grievance this time, it's in the access request. Unfortunately the bank have made a big error and how dumb is that CEO to gossip to a journalist not once but then re-confirmed the story and now lost her job because of it.
Fair enough. I've not really been following what is going on at all. I honestly think this story is the most pointless waste of time imaginable, considering all the other brick that is going on in the world. Maybe that is just me though.

Last edited:
It is actually, but only a basic of one.

might be wrong. i was under the impression it was not a right in the UK to have a bank account. the right is that they cannot charge you to have a bank account, but that's not the same as a right to have a bank account. they just have to offer one for free.

Fair enough. I've not really been following the what is going on at all. I honestly think this story is the most pointless waste of time imaginable, considering all the other brick that is going on in the world. Maybe that is just me though.

Important things sadly aren't sexy enough for headlines, not with our gutter press anyway.

might be wrong. i was under the impression it was not a right in the UK to have a bank account. the right is that they cannot charge you to have a bank account, but that's not the same as a right to have a bank account. they just have to offer one for free.
That seems like quite a big loophole.

Couldn't a bank offer free accounts but then just not give them to anyone?

That seems like quite a big loophole.

Couldn't a bank offer free accounts but then just not give them to anyone?

Yes, but ultimately other banks, especially the challengers, are available to offer services. Also, becuase they may have concerns of the individual/business due to anti-money laundering (AML) regulations.

Yes if it was true that it is a right to have a bank account then why do so many homeless have difficulty opening them? Don't see the Government saying too much about that.

Yes if it was true that it is a right to have a bank account then why do so many homeless have difficulty opening them? Don't see the Government saying too much about that.

I think there are now services with a fair few banks now that account for the homeless. The issue is knowledge on the service and the route to it. You need the support of a charity or hostel for the address (they use the charity address) but the idea is that the extended support from the charity, including access to bank accounts go hand in hand to getting people off the streets, the reasoning is, if you are looking for a bank account its likely you are working towards getting off the streets. HSBC has a no fixed address service.

I think there are now services with a fair few banks now that account for the homeless. The issue is knowledge on the service and the route to it. You need the support of a charity or hostel for the address (they use the charity address) but the idea is that the extended support from the charity, including access to bank accounts go hand in hand to getting people off the streets, the reasoning is, if you are looking for a bank account its likely you are working towards getting off the streets. HSBC has a no fixed address service.
I agree it's better than it was but without those charities the pre requisite docs make it almost impossible to get one if you are a rough sleeper.

I agree it's better than it was but without those charities the pre requisite docs make it almost impossible to get one if you are a rough sleeper.

Yeh its not perfect but the issues that come from a lack of ID means its a slightly multi-layered problem. The homeless are vunerable targets for criminal organisations which means accepting accounts on limited or no info makes it a hotbed for abuse so they need to figure that out. The closing of branches compounds the issues now IMO, the lack of mobile phones makes it even harder too.

Back