• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Also doesn't say what the working days are, what the shift patterns are, what other changes they have to agree to in order to get the (so-called) payrise, etc. etc
It’s driving a train so it’s going to have the odd weekend, early morning and late night as the train runs between 4am and 1am, that is factored into the high starting salary

Only takes 6 months training to get that cash too, pretty decent really

Good for him, its about £800 for a Norwich to London monthly season ticket isn't it.

I live out that way too, you are fudged wherever you live at the minute, the only thing that hasn't gone up massively is wages.

Anything less than inflation is a pay cut.
Not if you're a train driver.

It’s driving a train so it’s going to have the odd weekend, early morning and late night as the train runs between 4am and 1am, that is factored into the high starting salary

£65k for what is essentially an uneducated role is fudging insane.

60k + Overtime is very decent

Not conflating other roles on the rail, but drivers do very well for whats now becoming a very automated role. My mate works on the Jubilee line and he absolutely loves it, 55k plus extras for whats now a automated train.

60k + Overtime is very decent

Not conflating other roles on the rail, but drivers do very well for whats now becoming a very automated role. My mate works on the Jubilee line and he absolutely loves it, 55k plus extras for whats now a automated train.
Do they still get final salary pension ??

It’s all about the framing, it sounds a lot, but with everything else having risen through the roof, 65k a year isn’t enough to live on in London now.

People are looking at 3500 pm in mortgage payments alone, 500 on utilities, same on food, it’s mental.

Depends what people class as London though. You can live in the suburbs well within decent reach of work and not be paying anywhere near that number. If you are a single self starter you can get a fairly decent appt in London zones and get to work for 65k, if you are cohabiting then 65k is a very decent base if your cohabiter is willing to work, if they are not then you might have to temper your expectations

Depends what people class as London though. You can live in the suburbs well within decent reach of work and not be paying anywhere near that number. If you are a single self starter you can get a fairly decent appt in London zones and get to work for 65k, if you are cohabiting then 65k is a very decent base if your cohabiter is willing to work, if they are not then you might have to temper your expectations

That’s the point, people talk about 65k as if it’s life of Reilly money, it’s not, it’s average London skilled wage.

That’s the point, people talk about 65k as if it’s life of Reilly money, it’s not, it’s average London skilled wage.

Its double the national average though and if you are lucky enough to be earning that as a singleton thats £3,800 a month. Thats a decent flat at £1200/1400 a month mortgage leaving alot of money to live and save.

Its double the national average though and if you are lucky enough to be earning that as a singleton thats £3,800 a month. Thats a decent flat at £1200/1400 a month mortgage leaving alot of money to live and save.

if you can get a sizeable deposit together, and, decent is subjective

Starmer is a terrible disappointment so far. He is more or less a pre-brexit Tory. I know i am prejudging him but if his actions match his rhetoric his tenure will be such a wasted opportunity.
His policy on prep fees is further left than any leader we've seen in a while.

He is quite disappointing though. One aspect I like to judge leaders on is how they would represent the country in international discussions. Cameron and Blair could both be statesmanlike and represented us well. Brown and Johnson would just be an embarrassment. I suspect we'd ask foreign leaders how Stamer represented us and they'd reply "Who?"

I think Starmer is a decent human being, and I think everyone (Libs, Greens etc.) know they have to/will vote Labour in this next GE.

But it is hugely disappointing that hugely popular and essential policies like nationalisation of transport and utilities, and rapid green energy self-sufficiency, are being dropped simply to appease Murdoch and Dacre.

I hope she is right. The UK media landscape is minefield to be carefully navigated. It is largely working against everyone bar the Tories, with a few notable exceptions. No need to give it ammunition I guess.

I'm sure there is a certain level of 'watch what I do, not what I say' but hopefully they will not alienate too many voters along the way. I daresay they won't considering the lead they have. However the UK needs much more than being better than the other lot. That is a low low bar.

Last edited:
I wasn't using that to attempt to argue her point (there's nothing of any substance to argue other than some silly, unfunded desires to increase spending).

I was just giving general advice about not listening to people like her. I thought you were against rich people too dim to pass the 11+ who use family wealth and influence to wedge themselves into the better schools.

Back