• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

‘Not the Brexit I wanted’ – Next boss calls for more foreign workers in UK
Leave backer Lord Wolfson says UK must let in much-needed overseas workers to plug chronic labour shortages

At least we can laugh at these mugs now. Wetherspoons founder, Lord Wolfson and the rest of them. But you get the impression the only reason they are publicly engaging and not hiding/ignoring Brexit like the rest of politics and (leave) society is that it will cost him money. There needs to be honesty about the costs to the UK of Brexit. As things stand we could reverse it relatively easily (without the Euro or any other BS) but the longer we're out the harder it will be to 'do the right thing' and trade and work with our closest neighbors.

Leave backer Lord Wolfson says UK must let in much-needed overseas workers to plug chronic labour shortages

At least we can laugh at these mugs now. Wetherspoons founder, Lord Wolfson and the rest of them. But you get the impression the only reason they are publicly engaging and not hiding/ignoring Brexit like the rest of politics and (leave) society is that it will cost him money. There needs to be honesty about the costs to the UK of Brexit. As things stand we could reverse it relatively easily (without the Euro or any other BS) but the longer we're out the harder it will be to 'do the right thing' and trade and work with our closest neighbors.
I thought everyone knew what it was they were voting in favour of

Anyone who didn’t know what Brexit entailed under the clowns in government who saw it through is either stupid or was wilfully ignorant.

That piece of brick just does not like his profits being eaten into.

Sister in law works for them and they don't give out barely any full time contracts because it costs them less in national insurance to have part timers.

He is only interested in his bonus. I know he does not know my sister in law but anyone who employs her needs his head checking.

That piece of brick just does not like his profits being eaten into.

Sister in law works for them and they don't give out barely any full time contracts because it costs them less in national insurance to have part timers.

He is only interested in his bonus. I know he does not know my sister in law but anyone who employs her needs his head checking.

...similar to most of the UK establishment who supported Brexit. Their vision was of deregulation, reduced worker rights, lower taxes and a glorious Grand Britannia. That they were wrong is not a surprise. These are people who live a cosseted existence starting out in elite schools where they are fed myths about empire and entitlement. No one is shocked about them. What I have an issue with is how they helped the media spread lies about what Brexit would offer the real man in the street. And the other issue: why are politicians not being upfront about the costs of Brexit now, why are they not being honest? Most people are slow to see the next issue. In my professional life, I've done okay, sometimes being ahead of the curve. I know you've been similar in some of your crypto and other investments. Right now, politicians need to see that ignoring Brexit, hiding from it for personal gain, is old. Outdated. The future is being honest about its impacts and designing a better future. And taking everyone with. The lack of honesty and clarity of vision from our politicians is sad. Where are the visionaries? People who can unify and lead? Instead, we have people who hide and manipulate. A real shame Corbyn didn't have more charisma, intelligence, and appeal as he at least had a vision. Not sure any of the current brunch know what day it is, let alone have a realistic vision for the UK.

Brexit is doing what it is meant to then if exploitative big corporations are moaning about having to pay higher wages and actually invest energy into training staff. Ending social dumping is a really good news story.

And got a knighthood after the second sacking.
Can’t believe this. After the fiasco of the exams in 2020 how the fudge did this grinning twit get a knighthood? Honestly there were so many frontline workers who should have been ahead of him in the queue. The entire honours system is a joke.

...similar to most of the UK establishment who supported Brexit. Their vision was of deregulation, reduced worker rights, lower taxes and a glorious Grand Britannia. That they were wrong is not a surprise. These are people who live a cosseted existence starting out in elite schools where they are fed myths about empire and entitlement. No one is shocked about them. What I have an issue with is how they helped the media spread lies about what Brexit would offer the real man in the street. And the other issue: why are politicians not being upfront about the costs of Brexit now, why are they not being honest? Most people are slow to see the next issue. In my professional life, I've done okay, sometimes being ahead of the curve. I know you've been similar in some of your crypto and other investments. Right now, politicians need to see that ignoring Brexit, hiding from it for personal gain, is old. Outdated. The future is being honest about its impacts and designing a better future. And taking everyone with. The lack of honesty and clarity of vision from our politicians is sad. Where are the visionaries? People who can unify and lead? Instead, we have people who hide and manipulate. A real shame Corbyn didn't have more charisma, intelligence, and appeal as he at least had a vision. Not sure any of the current brunch know what day it is, let alone have a realistic vision for the UK.

I loved corbyn.

The future is cleary green technology. Why we aren't going in more in, particularly wave turbine technology.

Brexit is doing what it is meant to then if exploitative big corporations are moaning about having to pay higher wages and actually invest energy into training staff. Ending social dumping is a really good news story.

As a principle, yes.
As a stand alone measure, no. And it's as a stand alone that we have it, instead of the joined up 10+ year plan needed.
That needs to be a focus of the next government.
We are riding through the shock caused at the moment - so anyone that voted leave and doesn't what they are experiencing right now....tough brick, you voted for it.

Is that happening though? I don’t see workers conditions improving, they’re either stagnating or going backwards. Employees rights will more or less disappear entirely once the government let eu laws and business regulations elapse in. 2023. I doubt you’ll be seeing any sunny uplands once that happens!

Is that happening though? I don’t see workers conditions improving, they’re either stagnating or going backwards. Employees rights will more or less disappear entirely once the government let eu laws and business regulations elapse in. 2023. I doubt you’ll be seeing any sunny uplands once that happens!

It's a process of adjustment. But the power balance has definitely shifted to the workers from the corporations. Hence why a lot of people still dossing at home and quitting their jobs quite often. There's more demand than supply now, because the social dumping has curtailed, which favours workers.

It's a process of adjustment. But the power balance has definitely shifted to the workers from the corporations. Hence why a lot of people still dossing at home and quitting their jobs quite often. There's more demand than supply now, because the social dumping has curtailed, which favours workers.

That's utter bollox. The power balance has not shifted at all - we are seeing continued strike action, growing by sector every few weeks. That displays the complete opposite.

That said, I will say Brexit changed (or empowered) a national mentality that been far too subservient for decades. That wasn't promised as a Brexit benefit. But it's ethos was rooted in the "man on the street" vote.
The option was there pre Brexit. However politicians had used the EU as a straw man to hide behind and curtail complaints, that I'm not sure the will to strike would have been quite the same.

Covid of course blew the lid off of a lot of fallacies and also gave time and both thinking and discussion space (politics worst enemies). One of which was the role of the defined office space and the feasibility of working from home.

Re: dossing at home. That's poor management, nothing else. If you have someone dossing, then you need to address it as a performance management measure - it's no different to someone being in an office or working in a satellite office.
That's just lazy, ill informed rhetoric.

That's utter bollox. The power balance has not shifted at all - we are seeing continued strike action, growing by sector every few weeks. That displays the complete opposite.

That said, I will say Brexit changed (or empowered) a national mentality that been far too subservient for decades. That wasn't promised as a Brexit benefit. But it's ethos was rooted in the "man on the street" vote.
The option was there pre Brexit. However politicians had used the EU as a straw man to hide behind and curtail complaints, that I'm not sure the will to strike would have been quite the same.

Covid of course blew the lid off of a lot of fallacies and also gave time and both thinking and discussion space (politics worst enemies). One of which was the role of the defined office space and the feasibility of working from home.

Re: dossing at home. That's poor management, nothing else. If you have someone dossing, then you need to address it as a performance management measure - it's no different to someone being in an office or working in a satellite office.
That's just lazy, ill informed rhetoric.

Strikes are a good thing. They are workers flexing their muscles again. It's the public sector saying Amazon warehouse is now paying more than nurses and university lecturer salaries, so pay us more or we'll withdraw our labour. It's a positive that those sectors feel empowered enough to do that.

Every office now knows there's two tiers - there's the 'workers' that are in and the free child/dog care 'contractors' that aren't. Career progression divergence is now clearly starting to reflect those choices.

Strikes are a good thing. They are workers flexing their muscles again. It's the public sector saying Amazon warehouse is now paying more than nurses and university lecturer salaries, so pay us more or we'll withdraw our labour. It's a positive that those sectors feel empowered enough to do that.

Every office now knows there's two tiers - there's the 'workers' that are in and the free child/dog care 'contractors' that aren't. Career progression divergence is now clearly starting to reflect those choices.

The empowerment is good, for sure. But it's not a power balance shift in the slightest - it shows the complete opposite that industrial action is necessary to push change.

Back