• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

If a business cannot survive without paying workers a living wage. Then it doesn't deserve to exist.
That's an easy thing to say for a non business owner. I have never actually owned a business that didn't pay considerably more than the living wage. However most of the businesses that I have been involved in have been in the financial and tech sector. I do know several business owners across the country who would have serious problems if having to move from the minimum wage to the living wage. Many of these businesses are making no to low profits already. Perhaps these businesses do not deserve to exist but they do create a decent amount of employment and the cost to the country of those business failing would be reasonably substantial.

Don't disagree. Globalisation has meant that large businesses and super rich can bounce their money around and pay little to no tax. Government and local government has to do their bit to help. I know the road i live on no franchise shops are allowed other than nissa. Only independent retailers. For companies like amazon, increase vat to offset business rates lost. It doesn't have to be cutting workers rights.
Define a company 'like Amazon'?

Really? Can you tell me what you are basing this statement in bold on?

Are you really sure about that? You seem to be assuming that immigration from outside the EU countries are automatically 'non-white'; what about migration from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand? Do you think now UK is outside of the EU that this is now less by default?
I'm basing that on my own experiences of employing people from all over the World over a number of years.
Immigration from those countries you mention has always and will always happen. However typically the workers coming from these countries are not coming in to do lower paid and lower skilled jobs. It is those from poorer countries with generally lower living standards that tend to come here to take the lower paid jobs.

Reactions: DTA
That's an easy thing to say for a non business owner. I have never actually owned a business that didn't pay considerably more than the living wage. However most of the businesses that I have been involved in have been in the financial and tech sector. I do know several business owners across the country who would have serious problems if having to move from the minimum wage to the living wage. Many of these businesses are making no to low profits already. Perhaps these businesses do not deserve to exist but they do create a decent amount of employment and the cost to the country of those business failing would be reasonably substantial.

Which is why these companies pay little to no tax as countries invite them to operate under special rules in order to have their warehouses and workforces in that country.

Ireland became a tech hub because they did it for google etc, the country was on its knees after the euro and it was their way out, now there is a housing crisis because the properties in Dublin are taken up because everyone is rich again

Which is why these companies pay little to no tax as countries invite them to operate under special rules in order to have their warehouses and workforces in that country.

Ireland became a tech hub because they did it for google etc, the country was on its knees after the euro and it was their way out, now there is a housing crisis because the properties in Dublin are taken up because everyone is rich again

Property crisis in ireland is the same as everywhere else. It's a great investment. So rich people are buying houses and property around the world not to live in, but to make money.

Otherwise agree, ireland dropped taxes massively to attract multinational businesses. The eu then fined those companies.

It's not even about moving to the minimum wage. It's about companies like amazon, city sprint... paying zero hour contracts. Not paying holiday pay, sick pay etc... not because they can't but because they can make more profit.

We have been at full employment for over a decade. Which should mean that demand for labour outstrips supply giving workers power to demand more wages, better standards. But with uncontrolled immigration, the supply is infinite. Workers (low skilled at least) have no power.

Multi national companies that agressively use different countries so they pay near zero corporation tax. Amazon in particular are mostly online. So don't have the costs of retailers that have shops.

So tax ‘mostly’ online businesses more? What is the level at which ‘mostly’ kicks in?

It's not even about moving to the minimum wage. It's about companies like amazon, city sprint... paying zero hour contracts. Not paying holiday pay, sick pay etc... not because they can't but because they can make more profit.

We have been at full employment for over a decade. Which should mean that demand for labour outstrips supply giving workers power to demand more wages, better standards. But with uncontrolled immigration, the supply is infinite. Workers (low skilled at least) have no power.
So stop zero hours then or, probably better, restrict usage of ZHCs to a small percentage of the workforce employed by that company in the UK. Or perhaps effectively put a tax on a ZHCs by making companies purchase them from the exchequer.

So stop zero hours then or, probably better, restrict usage of ZHCs to a small percentage of the workforce employed by that company in the UK. Or perhaps effectively put a tax on a ZHCs by making companies purchase them from the exchequer.

Waited for that. Never happened. So people voted leave.

Also waited for 300k houses to be built a year, services etc... that never happened either.

I know loads that love the flexibility of zero hours, I know that's not a perfect or fair reflection of the overall but they do benefit some

Yes but would they love zero hours more if the accrued holiday and sick pay? Got a pension too?

They get holiday pay which fluctuates based on how often they work. Many I know who like it do so because they pick their hours and work round other interests and family. There is a place for it but in balance

They get holiday pay which fluctuates based on how often they work. Many I know who like it do so because they pick their hours and work round other interests and family. There is a place for it but in balance

It's getting the balance right. Also skilled zero hours is very different to unskilled.

Last edited:
These are migrants from france. That is where they came from. France isn't war torn, they weren't getting persecuted. They didn't have to or were forced to come here.

There is accomodation in rwanda.
and in most of the 5 countries they have travelled through to get to France to get to the UK

Back