• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

That LBC call is reality staring you in the face. The real reason Truss was elected into office. Not because she was any better, but because the average Tory clam is fundamentally racist. They are not overtly racist. They don't have day to day issues with people of colour, or hold any Nazi-like beliefs. They are predominantly people with fair and decent morals. But scratch the surface and the reality is, they are not comfortable with a person of colour leading the nation. Supposedly the elite, or wanna-be elite, they are really such base scummy clams.

I believe in small government, and actually lower taxes or at least better value for my taxes. I belive in free regulated markets. All traditionally Tory ideals. But I wouldn't vote with them in a million years.

That LBC call is reality staring you in the face. The real reason Truss was elected into office. Not because she was any better, but because the average Tory clam is fundamentally racist. They are not overtly racist. They don't have day to day issues with people of colour, or hold any Nazi-like beliefs. They are predominantly people with fair and decent morals. But scratch the surface and the reality is, they are not comfortable with a person of colour leading the nation. Supposedly the elite, or wanna-be elite, they are really such base scummy clams.

I believe in small government, and actually lower taxes or at least better value for my taxes. I belive in free regulated markets. All traditionally Tory ideals. But I wouldn't vote with them in a million years.

You believe that and and aren't a tory, they don't believe in it and aren't tories either.
Most of this lot are about as tory as blair was labour, not very.

I think he'll do alright, will at least stabilise things for a bit. Don't forget he's pretty right wing but he's also clever enough to realise you can't just implement your own ideology and will pick and choose the right moment for some of the more classic Tory stuff.

Starmer is probably far enough ahead in the polls already but I don't think he offers anything radically different, after all Starmer is going after those same middle class voters that Sunak will probably reassure.

I think he'll do alright, will at least stabilise things for a bit. Don't forget he's pretty right wing but he's also clever enough to realise you can't just implement your own ideology and will pick and choose the right moment for some of the more classic Tory stuff.

Starmer is probably far enough ahead in the polls already but I don't think he offers anything radically different, after all Starmer is going after those same middle class voters that Sunak will probably reassure.
Exactly this. The floating voters won't see much between them. However the right Vs left everyday life things will make the difference - everyday cost of living and quality of life.

He does have one thing I think Starmer will struggle with - humility.

Not ideals that seem particularly compatible with the EU to be honest.

Think @Gutter Boy view of politics are the ones of the intelligent lot on here that I like.

I honestly think some of you are in an echo chamber, because as Bedfordspurs says Johnson is still popular.

I work at B&Q and two of the mums in their 40s said they voted for him and this week said they would vote for him again. The guy who fits the vending machine the same.

Two blokes in the pub this week both said we need Boris back and Jill who is organising the Brighton parkinsons support group Christmas party this year,said to me yesterday when I said the country is a joke "we need Boris back"

The guy is oddly popular.
He is popular in some circles but I think his popularity is overplayed. He lost 3 important by elections 2 blue wall seats and a red wall one. The Tory party would have lost the election convincingly had he returned as PM.

Not ideals that seem particularly compatible with the EU to be honest.

Think @Gutter Boy view of politics are the ones of the intelligent lot on here that I like.

• EU government isn't big, the FT measured it to be comparable to Birmingham council in size. Tiny when covering 500m people, a whole continent.
  • Don't know if it is correct but apparently, of every £1 of income tax paid, only 1p goes into the EU. That is not costly, and the value we get back in extra trade, extra tax etc. means it's no cost at all. So no great tax burden then.
  • As for free markets - that is what the EU is at heart. A customs union and free market stretching across a continent. It has to be regulated so a factory in Greece can compete fairly with one in the UK, Germany etc.

I'd say the ideals are compatible.

If you put GB together with Scara, what do you get?

Last edited:
still i see the right are chuffed that Suella is back, fighting the fight on their biggest concern, illegal migration.

Meanwhile, we'll ignore school funding expected to hit zero by end of next year, you can't get a GP appointment, you cant get an ambulance in an emergency and we still haven't built the '40 new hospitals' and still down 20,000 police officers.

No, illegal migration is definitely the biggest issue we should all be focused on.

still i see the right are chuffed that Suella is back, fighting the fight on their biggest concern, illegal migration.

Meanwhile, we'll ignore school funding expected to hit zero by end of next year, you can't get a GP appointment, you cant get an ambulance in an emergency and we still haven't built the '40 new hospitals' and still down 20,000 police officers.

No, illegal migration is definitely the biggest issue we should all be focused on.

To be fair the more important priorities are the responsibility of different departments. The Home Office has always been the nasty department - it's always been run by quasi-fascists. The way to manage it is to let them get on with it, but then just seep away their funding

To be fair the more important priorities are the responsibility of different departments. The Home Office has always been the nasty department - it's always been run by quasi-fascists. The way to manage it is to let them get on with it, but then just seep away their funding

dont disagree, my point is people are focusing on the minor and ignoring the major issues, because the media they consume supports this government. Instead of thinking "brick my elderly parents or kids might not get seen in a hospital" they're focusing on illegal migration which is a problem, but doesn't really impact their day to day lives like the NHS being dead.

While I agree with your sentiment one of the problems is that we are growing our population without growing our services to support them. Growing our services will cost money. Money that the treasury doesn't have.

While I agree with your sentiment one of the problems is that we are growing our population without growing our services to support them. Growing our services will cost money. Money that the treasury doesn't have.
The question is why does it not have this money and the reasons are ideology, waste and corruption by this current government. That the same mistake of going down the road of austerity is being touted again shows they have either learned nothing or they don't give a fudge about people (hint: it's the 2nd one)

Last edited:
But the problem is lop sided population growth. A less productive and older population when what we need are younger, fitter people to come in and fill vacancies and plug skill shortages. Which is generally what immigration brings. One of the reasons the economy is struggling particularly in sectors such as hospitality and logistics is that there are not enough able people to fill the vacancies. It's limits the productivity of the economy and therefore even less money comes into the treasury.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
But the problem is lop sided population growth. A less productive and older population when what we need are younger, fitter people to come in and fill vacancies and plug skill shortages. Which is generally what immigration brings. One of the reasons the economy is struggling particularly in sectors such as hospitality and logistics is that there are not enough able people to fill the vacancies. It's limits the productivity of the economy and therefore even less money comes into the treasury.

Youth unemployment is at 10%, while for the entire population it is 3.5%. If hospitality and logistics are struggling to find workers they need to train them and offer decent wages. But that costs money and cuts into profits.

Youth unemployment is at 10%, while for the entire population it is 3.5%. If hospitality and logistics are struggling to find workers they need to train them and offer decent wages. But that costs money and cuts into profits.
If only it were that simple...

Back