• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I had that yesterday with him on Laura Kuenssberg. She asked him what his biggest priority in government would be and he said ‘growth’. My heart completely sank. Say health, say wellbeing of the population, say restoring dignity, say closing the wealth gap, whatever. But not that pointless neo-liberal metric that measures nothing but the speed we are burning the planet. It was really disappointing.

My one hope is that he’s doing things like that to stop the red tops going full assassination on him, and then once in power he will shift to renationalisation and taxes for the rich and businesses. But that vision for a better future just isn’t there yet

Don't interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

Ok thanks. But do not a lot of those groups you mention also form a large part of Labour's traditional support base as well?[/QUOTE

Estate agents, retired officers, previously owned car dealers, blue rinse ladies may vote labour when they see a financial benefit to themselves like many traditional labour voters voting Tory for same reason, but in their heart and soul they are Tory. We are a small island and most of the population have a small island mentality, Brexit proved it.

Estate agents, retired officers, previously owned car dealers, blue rinse ladies may vote labour when they see a financial benefit to themselves like many traditional labour voters voting Tory for same reason, but in their heart and soul they are Tory. We are a small island and most of the population have a small island mentality, Brexit proved it.

Ok, so with that being the case then which demographic in the UK is NOT racist?

Personally i just think there is little real difference between Sunak and Starmer.
In both the main parties a lot of the 'mavericks' are effectively gone.

There's a dearth of real talent in politics because - apart from putting your snout in the public money trough or feathering your future nest eggs by making government policies favourable to you and your mates - who in their right mind would be a politician given the constant 247 scrutiny and need for soundbites etc and get paid a relative pittance compared to other professions similarly in a 247 limelight but with much better financial; rewards?

The good thing is that at least there'll be more a veneer of respectability

Personally i just think there is little real difference between Sunak and Starmer.
In both the main parties a lot of the 'mavericks' are effectively gone.

There's a dearth of real talent in politics because - apart from putting your snout in the public money trough or feathering your future nest eggs by making government policies favourable to you and your mates - who in their right mind would be a politician given the constant 247 scrutiny and need for soundbites etc and get paid a relative pittance compared to other professions similarly in a 247 limelight but with much better financial; rewards?

The good thing is that at least there'll be more a veneer of respectability

I think Starmer is a genuine good guy. I had dealings with him a few years back and found him very generous person, at a particular time he had every right not to be.

Sunak I don't know much about, but it would be nice if he had some actual compassion and humanity in him somewhere (compared to his recent predecessors).

At least neither will be rocking up to state occasions coked up, or directing aggressive behaviour at perceived (fictitious) 5th columnists, so we've probably evolved a little.

Ok, so with that being the case then which demographic in the UK is NOT racist?[/QUOTE

I think mistrust and fear of the outsider is in us all to different degrees, as educated well round people we prefer to think it doesnt apply to us as individuals. Just look at modern Britain, Scots, Welsh and Cornish people want independence, Northerns and Southerns appear to dislike each other. Being a North Londoner I was always treated as a bit of an outside when I moved to South London when I got married as I never went to school with any of the locals.

I think mistrust and fear of the outsider is in us all to different degrees, as educated well round people we prefer to think it doesnt apply to us as individuals. Just look at modern Britain, Scots, Welsh and Cornish people want independence, Northerns and Southerns appear to dislike each other. Being a North Londoner I was always treated as a bit of an outside when I moved to South London when I got married as I never went to school with any of the locals.

Humans are fundamentally tribal, it's a Stone Age instinct. The civilised ones just learn when they are young to let their personal experience and a bit of logic override that ancient gut reaction.

reality says hello

actually made me feel a bit sad for Sunak, especially after I watched the clip of him saying as a teenage what it felt like being out with his younger siblings and being called a P**** not being able to do anything about it, and how he believed it wouldn’t happen today.

no matter what we do if we are the “wrong” shade they will never really accept us. Not really.

Wow, Jerry really is a taco.

But I have no sympathy for Sunak - he has been overt with his prejudice towards people for "low class backgrounds", so he doesn't get to take the moral high ground on anything.

Back