• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing ***

I did always fear Slot will end up being felt as 'the one that got away'...

He always seemed like a manager with an attacking philosophy but also one that would shelve and be pragmatic when necessary..oh well, it will certainly be interesting to see how he does in what will be a much higher pressurised job than ours
Ahhh.... We're there already. The grass is greener over there.

Came sooner than I expected.

Maybe I didn't follow Europa all that closely but my impression from that season was that Feyenoord took games to their opponents in Europe?

Oh they did, but when they came up against the bigger guns you could see they were more pragmatic/cautious and not naive as can often be the case

Emirates Marketing Project used to play loads of low crosses across the box but they were A.) typically actually directed at a specific man, B.) Taken from much closer inside the box and C.) against defenders who had already been turned one way and then the other by their dribbly wingers. We don't do any of these things. I don't know why we think it's going work.
I always felt that Emirates Marketing Project tended to rely on very intricate patterns around the box, using lots of passing triangles, going in and then back out and then in again and eventually pulling the ball back to somebody free, as opposed to Ange's tactic of putting an early cross in.

I can't really remember Emirates Marketing Project having 'dribbly wingers'? They had direct wingers wingers with pace like Mahrez, Sane or Sterling or players who would get involved in passing triangles such as Silva or Grealish or even Foden who would often play from wide areas.

Of course Guardiola did eventually bring in a dribbler in Doku, though I've never really been convinced he has been particularly successful for them.

WE don't play like Emirates Marketing Project though and that isn't the way that Ange wants us to play. Seems that you don't think Ange will be successful (and perhaps you're right) but I think what you are looking for isn't what Ange is looking for so, while he is at the club, I don't think you'll be getting what you are calling for.

1 CF in the middle alone isn't going to over stress defenders if they know all they have to worry about is a low cross across the box. We need to be hitting angles and passes earlier and quicker and it would be nice if our wide players actually worried them.
It is nowhere near that easy. You're asking for a centre back to make sure they get to the ball before the centre forward, while going towards their own goal and making sure they don't divert it into their own goal. As attackers tend to be faster than defenders, this isn't easy.

By a game changer I assume you mean a world class or close to world class player? It's almost impossible for us to get those types of player. They go for top money and usually only to teams that consistently win things. Our best bet is doing what we seem to be doing now, buying the best young talent available. Gray, Bergvall, and Odobert all look like players that will develop into the type of player that you think we should be signing.

Getting a striker was a bigger priority than getting Eze this summer and that's where the money went. Either way we weren't getting Eze. Palace have sold players and didn't need the money. Eze will also know that bigger teams are interested and will want to hang on till next summer.
I didn't say world class or close to world class.

I said said top players class players who are gettable. Eze was in that bracket, established in a top league who is an improvement on our better players and ready to explode to another level. Just one signing like that per window.
It's a risk, all transfers are, but sometimes you need to be brave in the transfer market.
We act too too safe.

I've got no qualms with picking up the young players we brought in, that's fine for our long term strategy. But we should also be upgrading the first team each window too.
I agree a striker was needed as Kane left a hole there, when he left.

But we also only have sub-good standard AM's in the team. It needs a higher level quality player in there, especially if we are basing our philosophy on attacking football.

From what I can see, it's strange that our higher level players, in a very attack minded set up, are our defenders (plus Son).

Having a strategy of pushing the boat out a bit, for *one* higher level player per window, requires a bit of bravery... We have been just too safe in this window (and most of the previous windows) specially considering our current financial position. Are we saying we couldn't have afforded, say another £70m ish for that one player by the time the window had closed?

Depends what you mean by "The One". I'm not sure there is a "The One" for the reasons I outlined around wages/ENIC.

Ange will have us punching around our level (4th-7th) and we'll be entertaining. That's better than Jose or Conte in my book and I'm willing to give him a chance to do that and declare him successful if he does regardless of my opinion on his tactics. If he does better than that, I'll gladly eat the humble pie.

If people want "The One" to come in and get use challenging consistently for big prizes - Ange will never do that IMO.
In many ways we already had 'The One" in place previously. Despite having loads of credit in the bank he was given 12 PL games of the new season before getting the sack.

Despite having far less credit in the bank, I suspect Ange will be given the courtesy of that amount of time before the chairman pulls the trigger.

Personally I think we need to just stick now, irrespective of where we end up this season (assuming we can't be as bad as being in a relegation battle). We've done far too much chopping and changing of the manager over the past few years and stability would be better for us now at least in the short term I think

In many ways we already had 'The One" in place previously. Despite having loads of credit in the bank he was given 12 PL games of the new season before getting the sack.

Despite having far less credit in the bank, I suspect Ange will be given the courtesy of that amount of time before the chairman pulls the trigger.

Personally I think we need to just stick now, irrespective of where we end up this season (assuming we can't be as bad as being in a relegation battle). We've done far too much chopping and changing of the manager over the past few years and stability would be better for us now at least in the short term I think
We have significantly changed the leadership now too, to back up a more patient approach

As usual varying opinions of the team and manager, I'm disappointed that we haven't won all our 3 games so far and frustrated by not scoring the goals we should have. I don't believe Postercoglu will be universally accepted as his philosophy is too risky for supporters who are more concerned about results than playing entertaining football. I'm probably in the minority that I enjoyed our games this season as we have played in an adventurous way, even when we played in a pragmatic way we conceded goals and lost games but I prefer watching us trying to win than waiting for our opponents to lose. Hopefully this international break will allow our injured players time to recover and any representing their countries stay I jury free.

As usual varying opinions of the team and manager, I'm disappointed that we haven't won all our 3 games so far and frustrated by not scoring the goals we should have. I don't believe Postercoglu will be universally accepted as his philosophy is too risky for supporters who are more concerned about results than playing entertaining football. I'm probably in the minority that I enjoyed our games this season as we have played in an adventurous way, even when we played in a pragmatic way we conceded goals and lost games but I prefer watching us trying to win than waiting for our opponents to lose. Hopefully this international break will allow our injured players time to recover and any representing their countries stay I jury free.
I've loved watching the two games I've seen this season. Leicester away in the first half, we were outstanding. Yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed the game the whole way through because it always looked like something could happen. We are a bloody brilliant watch compared to the brick we watched from 2019-2023.

In many ways, this really is the Tottenham Way. We've never really been a league team because while we've mostly been a good team, we've always been likely to lose stupid games and points along the way. But we entertain.

That's exactly what Ange is doing.

I know I’m a broken record but you can’t rely on scoring 3 or 4 goals to win games consistently. On top of that, I missed the Everton game, but against Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine while we were dominant, I’m not sure we were missing sitter after sitter. The chances aren’t gimmes by any means.

But we gifted both Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine big chances.

Our problem is not missing chances.
our problem is not missing chances?

I can't see that.
If you don,t take chances you will not win games! also were not mean enough in front of goal. As has been pointed out we are incompetent at defending. The call is...how long until we concede from kick off. We have improved somewhat in that area.
I think we lack talent in the midfield as well. All in all we have a long way to go boy.......................

Wow, was the .net version around that long ago? I found it in the early 2000s. Was lurking on here and SpursCommunity. Eventually ditched the other one and settled here
Haha I had forgot about SpursCommunity, the archrival. I remember posters who felt mistreated threatening to switch side, like going to Arsenal or something. Yeah I remember finding Spurs stuff online was one of the first things (don't ask about the first thing) I did when I got online, 97 or 98. Free information rather than paying silly money for those gooner-infused mags like Shoot or whatever they were called.

For me Slot was the one. Expansive football, but more pragmatic. I was so gutted when Liverpool named him their next manager, as I was hoping he would succeed Ange in 2-3 years' time. Looks like that ship has sailed, though. I still think Ange was a very good appointment and immediately turned around the atmosphere after the toxicity of the Conte reign. I think he will set up a really good foundation for us in the next 1-2 years, but it may be the manager that follows him that gets us over the hump.
We tried to get Slot prior to getting Ange but he decided to play it safe and it wait out at Feyenoord.

it's good football, it's a great watch
I’m still not sure that I agree with this.

We’re comparing it in our minds to what came immediately before, and it’s certainly better than most of that.

But defending is a vital part of the game, and I don’t enjoy watching us do that because we don’t do it well. I also find us a frustrating watch for the most part; all that possession and so little done with it. If I’m honest, our performances in the second half of last season didn’t often excite me.

It's worrying that we'd continue to employ the highline when we are missing the main person that just about let's us get away with it....:(
That is an excellent point - and it gets to the heart of my worries about Ange; his unwillingness (or perhaps his inability) to alter what he does to take account of circumstances affecting us, or to take account of the strengths of our opposition.

Back