• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur V Sunderland ***

Decent half, sometimes I wonder if some fans would prefer it to be an end-to-end affair with us 2-0 down.

This. We're in control away from home against one of the toughest teams in the Premiership. We're playing well collectively. We have a formation that isn't suited to attacking play and the plan is clearly to be defensively solid initially and then adapt as the game goes on.

The only thing I'd like to see more is both full backs whipping their crosses in earlier. A couple of times we've had bodies in the box and they have gone back infield rather than just whip it in. Ade also needs to step up his game.

He'll stick it out for a while longer I think. Sandro is the obvious choice to go off though, he isn't at his best. Modric and Parker definitely look better in the centre of a 4-4-2. We always look a bit pedestrian when we play 4-5-1.

True, we do look pedestrian. But if that stops Sessegnon from having a free role, is it such a bad thing? Modric in beside Parker isn't nearly as effective defensively as Sandro is. this is where Hudd would have been perfect; him alongside Parker would have given us both a solid defensive base and a great base to spring attacks from. Sigh.

was supposed to come from walker i guess.
we're going ok given that s'land is putting two banks of four and defending deep.
nevertheless we've known it all along that we don't have a plan b or c...if you don't count bale drifting to the middle, or substitutions

Walker has to stay goal side of McClean. If Sunderland break and McClean is clear, Walker's pace wont be able to save him for once.

Not quite sure why people are moaning so much, a difficult away game and we are looking the better side- sunderland set up not to lose and are good at doing that - just got to bide our time and the chances will come.

People need to stop exaggerating, we haven't been awful at all, we're away, at a side that has had one of the best points total in the league since O'Neill came in. We're not going to go into every game and register 20 shots on target.
Agreed. We are ok, just cut out some silly individual errors and we'll be ok. We will need to step up the intensity for a period when we need to apply some pressure to get a goal. But we're in a good shape.

That's the players individual natural inclinations to do that. The formation will be the same yet we will have width and be more attacking.
Basically what Harry said last week, when Lennon came on against swansea

I just don't see it. Modric definitely isn't playing up front or in the hole as far as I can tell. He is central midfield. If Lennon comes on he'll go wide right and VDV will play in the hole, doing the Teddy role.

This. We're in control away from home against one of the toughest teams in the Premiership. We're playing well collectively. We have a formation that isn't suited to attacking play and the plan is clearly to be defensively solid initially and then adapt as the game goes on.

The only thing I'd like to see more is both full backs whipping their crosses in earlier. A couple of times we've had bodies in the box and they have gone back infield rather than just whip it in. Ade also needs to step up his game.

thats true it wasnt a bad half, but in the last 10 mins or so the shape started to crumble and we started looking as we have done for the past two months; bale in the middle, no width etc.

it wasnnt a bad half but the worrying signs were creeping in towards the end

People hammering Sandro, but where the hell have Rafa, Ade, Bale, Modric, Walker been? At doing their job - attacking - they've been every inch as poor as Sandro, and in most part worse I'd say since none of them have given anything.

I think the difference is, as unfair as it may be, that Sandro has failed to complete passes over a distance of less than 5 yards on 4 occasions now, all of them in dangerous positions. Unfortunately that sticks more in the mind than VDV doing likewise on the edge of their box or Bale going walk about again.

Dominating possession pointlessly, rolling it sideways in our own half before conceding possession under no pressure is awful as well; it's just a different kind of awful.

When your team isn't losing, and it's the first half them dominating possession is NEVER pointless. It means the opposition tire faster than yours and most importantly it means the opposition don't have the ball....so therefore cannot score.

No he isn't the only one to be fair. It's been pretty brick from everyone thus far. Benny's drag backs being the only entertaining bit in 45 minutes!

And even that ended in us losing possession. :D

But I feel a bit bad criticizing. We haven't been bad; we've been solid, defended quite well and generally controlled the ball in non-threatening areas. It's just that we haven't been very enterprising up front, but that's more to do with Sunderland zipping around relentlessly. And that can't last forever.

Last edited:
Not quite sure why people are moaning so much, a difficult away game and we are looking the better side- sunderland set up not to lose and are good at doing that - just got to bide our time and the chances will come.

Because we aren't set up to create those chances. There's only 90 minutes in a game and we've wasted 45 of those.

Back