• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT * Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City *

Listening to the podcasts and reading opinions after the match last night I'm reminded how we often draw these long conclusions about how a player is such and such based on one single fudging game. So a player had a bad game - then all of a sudden he IS terrible at x, y and z, as if all of the capabilities of that player was on show in the 90 minutes of football last night. Why do we always go down those roads and judge players on a single performance? Ok, so Johnson wasn't great yesterday, but we all know he can be more than capable of attacking down his side and put decent crosses in, and also attack the back post and score. He's a decent player. Give the players a break. One game of football.

Welcome to the new (social media) world, no context, all clickbait

Btw, just for bricks and giggles

Watched the game in the US, at HT, there was a PL ad for next week-end game, went something like
- Join us next week-end for a London Derby
- Title challengers Arsenal go cross London to close rivals
- Tune in to see Arsenal play ... Villa

wtf?

Btw, just for bricks and giggles

Watched the game in the US, at HT, there was a PL ad for next week-end game, went something like
- Join us next week-end for a London Derby
- Title challengers Arsenal go cross London to close rivals
- Tune in to see Arsenal play ... Villa

wtf?

Not far from London Luton airport are they really.

Precisely! I have absolutely no idea what his logic for that was, I guess he became too fixated on the distance between him and Van de Ven who was slightly to the left, but to leave Vardy like that is akin to criminal neglect. Even Sandra Redknapp would have scored that one. (Not Darren Bent, thou'..)

Certainly Ange and the analysts will have that evaluated, and hopefully sorted in good time.

I do freely concede that point, but I think there has to be greater support/notice of whats unfolding. CBs certainly got pulled across, and that will happen even with the best. I think Porro - and to a lesser extent Johnson and even Sarr - need to be alive to what isn't happening/being done.

Answers within as ever :)

Supposed to be less of an issue this year. Postecoglou has been here a year, we're supposed to look at least a little better at penetrating deep blocks, but looks like nothing has changed since last season.

I'm not sure penetration was an issue. We got in there many, many times. We simply made bad decisions and missed some great chances.

Minor correction mate - Leicester only needed to play for 15 minutes to get a point, and nearly get a win (if Vardy had put his chance away).

And at this point, it's more risk than reward.

Well we have to agree to disagree. Leicester did not play, we stopped/froze. I almost wish they'd got a second because I think it might've forced us into another gear and perhaps we'd have gone on to win. I disagree with your last assessment. I simply want us to be sharper in front of goal and not go into our shells when something goes wrong.

Those 15 minutes are what concern me mate. It's fine to say we can play when there's no press - I'm looking for what we do when we're pressed, and the panicky shambles that those 15 minutes were concerns me. Other teams will press for more than that, and it looks like playing through it remains an issue for us.

Me too. Especiallty the principle players who were on the field and couldn't step up/lead. I personally think Maddison has to give more and be more, especially at those moments, if we are seeing him as our stardust creative.

Saw some stats that were interesting.

- We have kept 3 clean sheets in the last 30 games.
- Our last 12 games are 4 wins, 7 losses and 1 draw, with the wins coming against Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United and Villa.

Wondering how much time has to elapse before this starts looking concerning, mate?

So far I'm only just concerned that our issues persist, but if this form carries on into Oct/Dec, imo the conversation will get a lot more ominous.

It will get more ominous by default. I'd like to see how this season goes for Ange and us. I think the plan/premise deserves that. Obviously if we're absolutely bricking the bed, then it becomes binary, but we won't and it won't.

If football had time-outs then I think Ange would've used one 5 minutes or so after Leicester's goal.

We probably could've done with one of our experienced players and preferably an attacker, going down to get some treatment at this point and then the team coming over to Ange for a little Arteta style coaching on the sideline. Really just to take the sting out of Leicester a bit and quieten the crowd who had got themselves up for it with that translating to more effort and confidence from their players.

I think we really, really need a specific type of leader that we don't have. You can see why Ange wants a Gallagher.

All systems need very good players to really work. Sitting deep to counter attack perhaps to some extent the exception, and that shouldn't be an option for us.

We're obviously looking to improve the playing squad. Mostly through signing younger players with loads of potential and seemingly with the plan of trusting them quite a bit even early on. Imo a very good strategy.

Will take some time though as you say. We won't get the best version of Gray, Bergvall, Odobert etc this season, but give them some time and hopefully they'll be better than any player we could realistically sign.

Meanwhile some patience. Our issues aren't solved by having Solanke as the striker or Gray and Bergvall on the bench. It's a step in the right direction imo, but some of the systemic issues will continue to be an issue. As it would with any system.

Yeah no issue with any of that. But this system in particular is high risk given how many bodies we commit going forward so we have to blow teams away in order to beat them which again I don’t think is sustainable beyond top 4-6 with this group of players.

Yeah no issue with any of that. But this system in particular is high risk given how many bodies we commit going forward so we have to blow teams away in order to beat them which again I don’t think is sustainable beyond top 4-6 with this group of players.

I don’t think it’s sustainable at any level.

City have dominated the PL and spent billions, their keystone is the DM who runs around tripping people up.

You have to be able to stop and be able to play.

I think that is the massive question we are going to learn the answer to this season. Right now I'd agree. I think Gray and Bergvall show the hunger, appetite and courage to do this consistently. Mikey Moore appears the same but he's young, we'll see. Of the starting 11, I tag Vicario, Porro, Udogie and VdV as the nailed-on 'you know they will'...Sonny is there in spirit but age is dictating that 95 mins of it week in week out is a lot. Solanke is too soon to know. Sarr has such potential but if I were being microscopic I know want him to play a bit 'angrier/fiercer' at times. Brennan needs to dig in and grow, Bentancur has the stones but probably not the dynamism this style needs, and Madders? Well, he needs to step up IMO.

I think that is the massive question we are going to learn the answer to this season. Right now I'd agree. I think Gray and Bergvall show the hunger, appetite and courage to do this consistently. Mikey Moore appears the same but he's young, we'll see. Of the starting 11, I tag Vicario, Porro, Udogie and VdV as the nailed-on 'you know they will'...Sonny is there in spirit but age is dictating that 95 mins of it week in week out is a lot. Solanke is too soon to know. Sarr has such potential but if I were being microscopic I know want him to play a bit 'angrier/fiercer' at times. Brennan needs to dig in and grow, Bentancur has the stones but probably not the dynamism this style needs, and Madders? Well, he needs to step up IMO.

The thing is which I think your post alludes too is that for the first time in many a year the whole clubs gearing towards one philosophy for better or worse. I wanna give it longer than a year to see how it goes

Don’t disagree with any of that mate. I hope Ange is ruthless enough to drop players when it’s warranted.

The thing is which I think your post alludes too is that for the first time in many a year the whole clubs gearing towards one philosophy for better or worse. I wanna give it longer than a year to see how it goes
Absolutely. Wasn’t that the consensus when we hired Ange, that if we fail at least we’re going to fail while staying true to the spirit of the club. We’ve had our fill of “pragmatists” for a while.

If he is looking for a leader to do this, then Son is not the person. The closest person to this is Romero.
Agreed, not Son. But Romero? Certainly has leadership potential but is he too flawed? Susceptible to losing concentration and can go missing when it really matters.

Then again, the responsibilty of captaincy could be what brings out the best in both him and the team.

Back