• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT * Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City *

First half performance was good, and dominant, but need to capitalise on that dominance. I did think once we scored we might get a couple more, so credit to Leicester that they kept themselves in the game and not allowing anything too clear, albeit a number of chances you’d expect PL level players to make more of.

Up until their goal we were still pretty much on top (not as much as in the first half but Leicester weren’t looking any threat). We did start looking sloppy with passing and perhaps a couple of the subs were needed sooner. A mixture of giving away a sloppy goal which gave their fans a voice.

The break in play due to Bentancur’s injury, as well as the changes worked in our favour as it took the momentum away from Leicester.

Overall, plenty of positives to take from the game barring the result and defensive lapses. However, some similarities to last season, the biggest being not taking our chances. The difference being that we had a CF on the end of some today whereas last year (especially when Richi was out), there was no-one there.

A dominant performance at the weekend and most importantly a win, will give it a much rosier feel.

First half performance was good, and dominant, but need to capitalise on that dominance. I did think once we scored we might get a couple more, so credit to Leicester that they kept themselves in the game and not allowing anything too clear, albeit a number of chances you’d expect PL level players to make more of.

Up until their goal we were still pretty much on top (not as much as in the first half but Leicester weren’t looking any threat). We did start looking sloppy with passing and perhaps a couple of the subs were needed sooner. A mixture of giving away a sloppy goal which gave their fans a voice.

The break in play due to Bentancur’s injury, as well as the changes worked in our favour as it took the momentum away from Leicester.

Overall, plenty of positives to take from the game barring the result and defensive lapses. However, some similarities to last season, the biggest being not taking our chances. The difference being that we had a CF on the end of some today whereas last year (especially when Richi was out), there was no-one there.

A dominant performance at the weekend and most importantly a win, will give it a much rosier feel.
A fair summary I think and reflects where I am with yesterday, although still very annoyed at how we didn't capitalise on our chances, and how we fell apart after their goal.
I don't think the part of your message I have bolded can be emphasised enough. The home fans were pretty quiet up until the equaliser (apart from the coming 3rd in a 2-horse race, and asking if anyone had ever seen Tottenham win the league (idiots)). But with that goal the stadium erupted in a crescendo of noise and you could see their players stepping up in response.
It is something we are going to have to get used to dealing with better. If we are going to dominate teams early on, especially away from home, that will subdue their crowd, and then any way back in will raise the noise and atmosphere and belief. It was shocking last night how we went into panic mode and lost all sense of shape and focus and composure. That for me was even worse then the defensive negligence. I don't see how that can be so hard to get control over.

A fair summary I think and reflects where I am with yesterday, although still very annoyed at how we didn't capitalise on our chances, and how we fell apart after their goal.
I don't think the part of your message I have bolded can be emphasised enough. The home fans were pretty quiet up until the equaliser (apart from the coming 3rd in a 2-horse race, and asking if anyone had ever seen Tottenham win the league (idiots)). But with that goal the stadium erupted in a crescendo of noise and you could see their players stepping up in response.
It is something we are going to have to get used to dealing with better. If we are going to dominate teams early on, especially away from home, that will subdue their crowd, and then any way back in will raise the noise and atmosphere and belief. It was shocking last night how we went into panic mode and lost all sense of shape and focus and composure. That for me was even worse then the defensive negligence. I don't see how that can be so hard to get control over.

We need someone who is going to own it. I want someone to pick the ball out the net, march to the centre spot, stick the ball down and play with the attitude of this doesn't change anything, we've dominated you and we will continue to dominate you because we are the better team.
It's us that should be getting riled up, us that should be responding positively, man the fudge up.

Yep. Like an apparition, I only appear when things are grim. :eek:

Don't remember you at all, but assume we must have argued about ENIC or something - usually what folks who snarl about me tend to be upset about.
I’m not sure we’ve argued at all. I simply recall your pattern

We need someone who is going to own it. I want someone to pick the ball out the net, march to the centre spot, stick the ball down and play with the attitude of this doesn't change anything, we've dominated you and we will continue to dominate you because we are the better team.
It's us that should be getting riled up, us that should be responding positively, man the fudge up.
Dave Mackay style

I agree. But he said he doubted Ange from the start.
It is actually fine for people to express a view different to yours! We all realise that you have a lot invested in Ange for reasons connected to where he comes from, but he’s had a fair spell when he was almost immune to criticism. He’s the one who has hinted we’ll be challenging for silverware this season; who has said that the team is much better prepared this year; and who now has his own players. If it’s not going to plan he’s going to have to expect some brickbats coming his way. Irrational defence of stuff we can all see isn’t working isn’t a good look.

by @DubaiSpur defintion, if Ange continued this way, and we got 4th or 5th, it's a disaster? This smacks of entitlement to me, I hate that - but for me it's a good return, Ange is limited in what he has to operate with
IIRC, our form from January onwards last season was below mid table. Drawing in the way that we did with a poor Leicester side (and they were very poor last night), and who are huge favourites for relegation, doesn’t fill me with confidence that we’ll finish 4th or 5th. It reminds me instead of almost every game we have played in 2024. As for Ange being ‘limited’ in what he has to operate with, Steve Cooper would love to have spent £65 million on a striker this summer, I’m sure, and would love to have our squad at his disposal - as would the majority of other teams in the league.

I thought we got back on top of the game and dominated again when he made those changes?
Didn’t for one second think we were going to score; we continued trying to walk the ball through the centre of a packed Leicester penalty area. Saw the same thing happen time after time last season.

Last edited:
My thoughts on last night:

I should point out that my view of the game was from inside the ground and therefore not as clear as it would have been from TV viewing. I barely saw our defenders play for the entire game because Leicester didn’t attack at all in the first half and they were at the other end in the second. Hence, not much to say about them…

In the circumstances, I consider that to be a dreadful result following a generally decent-very good performance. Of all the teams that we are supposedly competing with for fourth, I doubt a single one of them would be that dominant and fail to get a result. Indeed, Leicester had a very good chance to win the game and probably should have taken the lead.

Son - was absolutely awful.

Johnson - was absolutely awful.

Solanke - a decent debut. Spent far too long on the right wing in the second half, presumably trying to cover for Johnson’s ineptitude.

Maddison - great first half, very average second.

Richarlison - looked a great chance that he missed at the death. However I think it was his first touch and we know he’s not a clinical striker. Can’t blame him for the result.

Werner - plenty of people around me were moaning about him but he did more in his brief appearance than Johnson…

Kulu - really put himself about and looked fired up/annoyed to have been left out. Fair play to him: that’s the kind of response I like to see.

Gray - very neat and tidy. Looks a superb prospect.

Bergvall - even better than that above. A superb competitive debut for us.

How we didn’t score more goals I’ve no idea. It was clearly shaping up to be one of those frustrating 1-1 draws or 2-1 turn around that we seem to be so proficient at conjuring.

Special mention to the home support: considering it was their first game of the season following promotion, it was absolutely, truly, unbelievably abysmal. Don’t know how it came across on TV but inside the stadium it was non-existent. Couldn’t believe the amount of ‘journalists’ and callers to TalkSport complementing the atmosphere after the game…

You said you think we’ll never win anything with him. That’s writing him off, as we’ve discussed before. You continue to want it both ways, as ever.
I want it one way - I want Spurs to be successful. I'd love it to be with Ange because I admire the fact he wants to attack teams.

But, and it's a big but, I don't think he can win silverware at Spurs playing like this. It's too one-dimensional and too naive and it'll crack under pressure at this level IMO. Does that mean I want him out? Absolutely not? Does that mean I'm 100% certain I'll be right? Not at all, I've gotten enough predictions wrong to know I could have the most glorious egg on my face on this one.

My honest opinion is that Ange will have a good 2-3 years with us but will leave with a similar reputation to Martin Jol who I still absolutely adore, despite his shortcomings, nearly 20 years later.

And just to put stakes in the ground, last year I said top 8 was acceptable, top 6 was good and anything above that was mind bogglingly good. He got top 6. This season, I'd shift that to top 6 is acceptable, top 4 is good and anything above is exceptional. I'd also like a better run in one or two of the cups. If Ange achieves that, regardless of my misgivings about his tactics, I'll give him his dues as I did last year.

The biggest takeaway is how badly conceding a goal affects us.

It was noticeable a fair bit last season as well.

Weird. As men against boys up until that point.
Possibly indicates that the system is not yet fully bedded in so in the players' minds there's still some uncertainty on patterns of play, (Maybe a tendency for some to be a bit more defensive when we lose a goal.) Contrast to Emirates Marketing Project players who never seem to panic .

Possibly indicates that the system is not yet fully bedded in so in the players' minds there's still some uncertainty on patterns of play, (Maybe a tendency for some to be a bit more defensive when we lose a goal.) Contrast to Emirates Marketing Project players who never seem to panic .
I don’t believe the players are fully bought in to the system, which is different (but probably linked) to it not being fully bedded in.

I don’t believe the players are fully bought in to the system, which is different (but probably linked) to it not being fully bedded in.

Personally I think this system needs better players. We’re not clinical enough to put teams away when we’re on top. And we’re susceptible to counter attacks. We’re not gonna get many 1-0’s or clean sheets in general so we need to be bang on it every game going forward which I don’t think is sustainable for anything other than top 4 and maybe a cup which I will be happy with this season. Whether this system is built to have us challenging for the title is up for debate. I expect a similar points total and outcome to last season tbh.

Back