• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT * Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City *

Answers within...

A good tactical system is about minimising the chances for that sort of mistake to occur mate.

A different tactical system.

There were multiple weaknesses from last season. Most were on display again today.

- Passing aimlessly around the box with no end product - check.

Yes, this will always be an issue when teams sit in.

- Playing for only 45 minutes a game - check.

I think this is inaccurate. We stopped playing for 15 minutes of the game; otherwise we were dominant.

- Waaay too open and exposed on counters - check.

That's the risk/reward he operates with

- Too difficult to beat the press - check.

Interested in what you mean? Leicester didn't really press us at all, save the 15 mins around their goal, where I think we simply lost some courage.

- concede too many easy chances - check.

I counted two really easy chances that they missed

- Set piece disasters - Leicester had, what, 3 corners the whole game?

I don't understand this?

If you give him ten games this season and the same things keep happening, that's about 40 games in total of the exact same trend. He's already on 30+ games of this. How much more leeway can he, or should he, get?

Too early IMO. Way too early.

Answers within...

A different tactical system.

Yes, this will always be an issue when teams sit in.

I think this is inaccurate. We stopped playing for 15 minutes of the game; otherwise we were dominant.

That's the risk/reward he operates with

Interested in what you mean? Leicester didn't really press us at all, save the 15 mins around their goal, where I think we simply lost some courage.

I counted two really easy chances that they missed

I don't understand this?

Too early IMO. Way too early.
by @DubaiSpur defintion, if Ange continued this way, and we got 4th or 5th, it's a disaster? This smacks of entitlement to me, I hate that - but for me it's a good return, Ange is limited in what he has to operate with, we have a lot of good/some great young players. I do pray we cross the line, and win something, otherwise it's another cycle of good/great players moving on and achieving winning something elsewhere, which is frustrating to see. Poch was so damn close, several times - we need to break our duck

Have not read much other than the last page of posts.

My take on the match?
We obviously need to convert dominance into goals.
We need to take more shots.
We need to not try and 'walk' the ball in.
We are learning that some players still need upgrading for the 'final step up'.

Concedeing the goal was cheap and systemic, but I agree with Raziel, these things will happen (sadly in our case from the same areas). Personally I felt the right-hand side was just 'off' for that goal, Porro looked the obvious 'mark' but Brennan was a bit callow moments earlier, and even in his 'support'.

The only thing I was concerned about was how for 15 minutes after that goal, the midfield basically reverted to 'nervous' type. I personally want one of them to really step up and own these games at those moments; it's easy to conduct an orchestra when everything is in tune, but when the tuba blows a giant bum note and the timpani forgets a part, you have to jump right back on the horse and LEAD -Andre Previn-like- and close the symphony out.

What cheered me up was how Bergvall and Gray instantly restored the verve and tempo, the desire to win/edge second balls, and the appetite to look for opportunities quickly.

I am going to take a guess and say I don't think there's a game (privately) in his tenure here which will have annoyed Ange as much.

We are very, very close to perfecting this style. And again, I think it's relatively futile to wish for him to change his ways. It won't happen, IMO anyway.
We need 11 Andre Previn out there.

Are the Woolwich back 4 much better than ours on an individual basis? Personally, I think we’ve 4 top, top defenders. Porro can be a little weak defensively and Romero can be unpredictable but they’re both excellent. Perhaps Saliba is a cut above them but not sure they have many others who are above our players.
I agree but Saliba is just so good he elevates the whole team never mind just the defence.

No subs, then 4 in one go seemed to be a bit risky today. That's a big change even if the personnel on the pitch were not performing. It would be difficult to establish any fluency. Thought it would have been better to make more incremental changes earlier, so Kulu for Johnson, then bergvall for Madison etc. But what do I know.
I thought we got back on top of the game and dominated again when he made those changes? Admittedly coincided with the break in play for Bentancur but thought the subs made a difference....

Performance was good. Not great, but good, about what we can expect for a season opener. Thought there was a bit of sloppiness in there, also in the first half. But again, first game of the season, several players back late from internationals or just signed.

Share concerns about how we responded to the equaliser. Mostly because we've seen it before and with our higher risk style we need to respond better. But, again, opening fixture. Leicester really did up their game with the backing of the crowd at that point.

Disappointing result, but a lot to build on and would rather be disappointed in the result than the performance at this stage.

Thought Solanke did really well. Got into good positions, held the ball up well and was a nuisance physically, linked well with others and showed good skill. Just lacked the goal really.

Hope Bentancur is as well as he can be.

I thought we got back on top of the game and dominated again when he made those changes? Admittedly coincided with the break in play for Bentancur but thought the subs made a difference....
I remember thinking at some point before the Bentancur injury that "this won't last". They were spending a lot of energy pressing and even without changes I think the game state would have changed at some point. We were even getting through their press on a couple of occasions and could just as easily have created big chances as them imo.

But the subs did well. Werner less so, really not suited to being on the right it looks. Or at least would have to get used to that role. Gray and Bergvall did really well, particularly given their age and that being their debut. Really good to see Ange giving them that trust. Kulusevski good too.

I've been saying this for the last season or so. He's not what he was on the wing, he'll still score a few especially if he just starts shooting rather than trying to hang on to it. But the Son of 2015-2022 is gone.

We should have conceded more than 1.

Also remember the many conversations we had where I said having a striker that attacks the box would not stop us getting countered nor would it make Johnson able to beat his man more often?

The issue for Brennan was out passing to his was slow

We conceded far far less counter than we did last what against similar teams

No subs, then 4 in one go seemed to be a bit risky today. That's a big change even if the personnel on the pitch were not performing. It would be difficult to establish any fluency. Thought it would have been better to make more incremental changes earlier, so Kulu for Johnson, then bergvall for Madison etc. But what do I know.
Only have certain windows now for subs

Be interesting what Ange does on Saturday as Bentacur will be out for concussion protocols, Bissouma should be available for selection though

Having re read the posts since last night its good that there are different views of how the game went. I am generally pessimistic about our team and always post knee jerk posts after a 'bad' result. The problem with us is the expectations have gone up massively in the past few years. My main problem is I can't see any change from the way we played since last season. I hate stats, it does not matter if we have 75% possession but lose or draw the game. The only stat that matters is goals for and goals against at the end of the game. At the end of the day Leicester had much clearer chances than us and their supporters are saying they should have won the game.
Last nights game was very similar to last season against Sheffield United. We absolutely dominated them all game but they scored with the one chance they had, we were save when there were 12 minutes added at the end and we got the goals to beat them. But my point is that we do not seem to have changed since then. It is rinse and repeat every week. Sure there are games we will put 3 or 4 past teams but at the end of the day it is same old same old.

Have not read much other than the last page of posts.

My take on the match?
We obviously need to convert dominance into goals.
We need to take more shots.
We need to not try and 'walk' the ball in.
We are learning that some players still need upgrading for the 'final step up'.

Concedeing the goal was cheap and systemic, but I agree with Raziel, these things will happen (sadly in our case from the same areas). Personally I felt the right-hand side was just 'off' for that goal, Porro looked the obvious 'mark' but Brennan was a bit callow moments earlier, and even in his 'support'.

The only thing I was concerned about was how for 15 minutes after that goal, the midfield basically reverted to 'nervous' type. I personally want one of them to really step up and own these games at those moments; it's easy to conduct an orchestra when everything is in tune, but when the tuba blows a giant bum note and the timpani forgets a part, you have to jump right back on the horse and LEAD -Andre Previn-like- and close the symphony out.

What cheered me up was how Bergvall and Gray instantly restored the verve and tempo, the desire to win/edge second balls, and the appetite to look for opportunities quickly.

I am going to take a guess and say I don't think there's a game (privately) in his tenure here which will have annoyed Ange as much.

We are very, very close to perfecting this style. And again, I think it's relatively futile to wish for him to change his ways. It won't happen, IMO anyway.
That’s the worry
Why happens after we’re so dominant and concede a shocker
It happened loads last year

What I don’t get is why we’re blaming anyone else other than cuti for the goal. That’s odd

He sees the man. Always past the man and leaves him. What happens before is relevant as that was the key, simple fix to anything that happened before and changes the game massively

If we concede a goal like that form anyone else first shot on target we would be talking about changing the CBs… and they are a great pair but that was truly awful.

My take, we will be fine.

Dominated for long periods, didn't take our chance and got punished for it because teams at this level will have their 10/20 mins regardless who they are. I am not panicked by anything I saw last night especially first game of season. We are fine and we have depth which means any micro issues will be addressed, thats why we have the depth.

My take, we will be fine.

Dominated for long periods, didn't take our chance and got punished for it because teams at this level will have their 10/20 mins regardless who they are. I am not panicked by anything I saw last night especially first game of season. We are fine and we have depth which means any micro issues will be addressed, thats why we have the depth.
Your having a laugh ain’t ya
Were brick
Haven’t fixed a single thing
Tactics are stoooopid
Can’t score
Cant defend
Did you see Hojbergs (not sure who the spacegoat is yet) play…

What I don’t get is why we’re blaming anyone else other than cuti for the goal. That’s odd

He sees the man. Always past the man and leaves him. What happens before is relevant as that was the key, simple fix to anything that happened before and changes the game massively

Precisely! I have absolutely no idea what his logic for that was, I guess he became too fixated on the distance between him and Van de Ven who was slightly to the left, but to leave Vardy like that is akin to criminal neglect. Even Sandra Redknapp would have scored that one. (Not Darren Bent, thou'..)

Certainly Ange and the analysts will have that evaluated, and hopefully sorted in good time.

Precisely! I have absolutely no idea what his logic for that was, I guess he became too fixated on the distance between him and Van de Ven who was slightly to the left, but to leave Vardy like that is akin to criminal neglect. Even Sandra Redknapp would have scored that one. (Not Darren Bent, thou'..)

Certainly Ange and the analysts will have that evaluated, and hopefully sorted in good time.
Honestly… it’s typical of him
For his brilliance he does stupid things at times
My 7 year old saw it so doubt we even need the analysts
He needs to own it and apologise to the team .. it was that bad

Losing your man happens
Not seeing the man happens

Walking past him and leaving him… that’s shocking and other players would get many many more pelters for it than cuti

Back