• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT * Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City *

Not really up to the fans. I think most will accept how things go as long as it’s clear we’re going in the right direction. I’m more concerned with the owners/chairman than the fans with regards to patience.

I mean...right, that's pretty obvious. Did you think I thought the fans would sack Ange? Just as obvious is the fact that a negative atmosphere would put pressure on Levy/Munn.

I mean...right, that's pretty obvious. Did you think I thought the fans would sack Ange? Just as obvious is the fact that a negative atmosphere would put pressure on Levy/Munn.
For me at least manager sackings mostly come when there's real fan unhappiness. There is a level of pressure there from that, but mostly I think that's because both owners/chairman and the fans will become unhappy with what's going on for similar reasons at a similar time.

I too hope for patience, but that's pretty much only gonna come as long as the performances and results are good enough to keep the good vibes going. Fans as a group won't become more patient without that.

What I also hope for is enjoyable fotball. That to some extent will also make fans more patient. Will be frustration if we keep leaking goals and the results aren't quite there, but not like with boring fotball and the results not being there.

For me at least manager sackings mostly come when there's real fan unhappiness. There is a level of pressure there from that, but mostly I think that's because both owners/chairman and the fans will become unhappy with what's going on for similar reasons at a similar time.

I too hope for patience, but that's pretty much only gonna come as long as the performances and results are good enough to keep the good vibes going. Fans as a group won't become more patient without that.

What I also hope for is enjoyable fotball. That to some extent will also make fans more patient. Will be frustration if we keep leaking goals and the results aren't quite there, but not like with boring fotball and the results not being there.

I agree with all of that...I just hope that fans as a collective can understand more of the context. The club is totally shifting direction again. I don't think we've gone through this sort of change with ENIC in charge -- until now, the successful* managers (Jol, Redknapp, Poch) have been landed on by almost accident. Ange was specifically hired for the style of football, and now is being hugely backed in terms of players. Plus Scott Munn and the total overhaul of the off-field side...anyone who thinks that's going to work smoothly within 24 months is kidding themselves.

We're going to have rough patches this season. I just hope the fans trust the direction rather than riding the emotional waves of results...though I know that's almost delusional of me, because there's no chance it will happen.

I agree with all of that...I just hope that fans as a collective can understand more of the context. The club is totally shifting direction again. I don't think we've gone through this sort of change with ENIC in charge -- until now, the successful* managers (Jol, Redknapp, Poch) have been landed on by almost accident. Ange was specifically hired for the style of football, and now is being hugely backed in terms of players. Plus Scott Munn and the total overhaul of the off-field side...anyone who thinks that's going to work smoothly within 24 months is kidding themselves.

We're going to have rough patches this season. I just hope the fans trust the direction rather than riding the emotional waves of results...though I know that's almost delusional of me, because there's no chance it will happen.
For me some (positive) similarities between what's going on now and some of those earlier periods.

What we are able to do now is pair that with real spending power. Both for younger talent and for more first team ready players. We are going in a younger and more potential focused approach and as you point out that will take some time.

Can’t wait for the new season. I’m 45 and it’s the most excited I’ve been since losing the CL final.

We just have so many good players. Romero & VDV are a joy to watch. Son, Maddison & Kulu also quality when they click.

But mainly the amount of absolute quality young players is unprecedented: Udogie, Porro, Sarr, Gray, Bergval and even Moore (best of the bunch imo) might get some minutes. (With the other youngsters waiting in the wings)

In 1 to 2 years we could really do something great. This is just the starts COYS!!!

In terms of fans, I think Nuno would have got longer only that the atmosphere had turned absolutely toxic in the 0-3 Man U game and Levy had to act. There was talk even after that Levy did want to give him more time. So fans very definitely have an influence.

I’d expect top 6 and some tightening at the back. If we’re below that and conceding lots of goals, and particularly from set pieces, the narrative will ramp up and Ange will be under pressure.

For me top 6 this year is acceptable, top 4 amazing, anything higher and we’re in miracle worker territory. Any lower than 8th would be very disappointing.

Would like a proper run at a cup or two as well.

Fair enough but my point was they have sacked managers in the past even when there hasn’t been any pressure on them to do so. Or they have canned managers at the first sign of trouble and not showed patience like Arsenal did with Arteta for example. Even Klopp didn’t set the world alight in terms of league finishes in his first few seasons, 8th, 4th and 4th.

Fair enough but my point was they have sacked managers in the past even when there hasn’t been any pressure on them to do so. Or they have canned managers at the first sign of trouble and not showed patience like Arsenal did with Arteta for example. Even Klopp didn’t set the world alight in terms of league finishes in his first few seasons, 8th, 4th and 4th.
I've had this conversation on here before, maybe with you. Which manager was sacked without any pressure?

Cristian Stellini - obvious
Antonio Conte - boring, clearly had to go
Nuno Espirito Santo - the most toxic environment we've seen
Jose Mourinho - timing is up for debate, but certainly wasn't without pressure
Mauricio Pochettino - many thought it was time for change
Tim Sherwood - almost universally disliked
Andre Villas-Boas - out of his depth, last game an awful 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool
Harry Redknapp - loved for most of it but disliked and seen as below Spurs by many
Juande Ramos - clearly had to go
Martin Jol - poorly handled, but many thought we'd outgrown him
Glenn Hoddle - initial promise that went nowhere
George Graham - never wanted, never liked

I've had this conversation on here before, maybe with you. Which manager was sacked without any pressure?

Andre Villas-Boas - out of his depth, last game an awful 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool
Harry Redknapp - loved for most of it but disliked and seen as below Spurs by many
Redknapp is the only one whose position was still tenable when he got sacked although he’d tinkled a lot of people off.

Poch and Jol should still have had credit in the bank arguably but there was a lot of discontent and results were poor.

The rest all deserved what they got.

Redknapp is the only one whose position was still tenable when he got sacked although he’d tinkled a lot of people off.

Poch and Jol should still have had credit in the bank arguably but there was a lot of discontent and results were poor.

I agree, I wanted Harry to stay...but as you allude to, many were fed up with him linking himself to England and then the tax case.

Move the ball quicker, don't be so open where we look like conceding 5 or 6 and cut out the lack of awareness leaving opponents totally unmarked, particularly at set pieces.
Do this and we can have a very good season, still need at least one more in.
Back to the game, 3-1 win.

Move the ball quicker, don't be so open where we look like conceding 5 or 6 and cut out the lack of awareness leaving opponents totally unmarked, particularly at set pieces.
Do this and we can have a very good season, still need at least one more in.
Back to the game, 3-1 win.

Sounds simple doesn’t it?

Redknapp acted like a total arsehole at the end. Levy offered him a new contract when the England stuff was going on, Redknapp said he didn't need to sign one while the season was ongoing. Then as soon as he knew he wasn't getting the England job he looked for a new contract while Levy was mourning his mother's death. Total lack of class on Redknapp's part and can understand Lewis sacking him over it.

Certainly wasn’t any fan pressure on Redknapp or Poch. You can argue whether they deserved to go but Levy was the one who got rid of them.

I don’t know where you’re getting the idea that Sherwood was universally disliked. I mean not a great manager and not up to the job but his record wasn’t actually that bad for us. Maybe he’s disliked on here but not in real life.

There seems to be this opinion that our fans are the most impatient fans in the league and they are always the cause of managers going but that’s crap. It’s the owners/Levy who are impatient, not sticking with managers. I know fans can turn quickly on a manager but when it comes to patience, I’m more concerned with the hierarchy of the club rather than our fans.

Redknapp acted like a total arsehole at the end. Levy offered him a new contract when the England stuff was going on, Redknapp said he didn't need to sign one while the season was ongoing. Then as soon as he knew he wasn't getting the England job he looked for a new contract while Levy was mourning his mother's death. Total lack of class on Redknapp's part and can understand Lewis sacking him over it.
I don’t disagree at all. That was typical of the man. But results wise, we’d just finished 4th and only a freak set of circumstances denied us CL. Everyone will point to the collapse in form but we picked up towards the end of that season.

I didn’t really disagree with the outcome but judging purely on results, Harry deserved longer. And, contrary to his other shenanigans, his team played with a lot of style.

I don’t disagree at all. That was typical of the man. But results wise, we’d just finished 4th and only a freak set of circumstances denied us CL. Everyone will point to the collapse in form but we picked up towards the end of that season.

I didn’t really disagree with the outcome but judging purely on results, Harry deserved longer. And, contrary to his other shenanigans, his team played with a lot of style.
On pitch he deserved it, if he acted to the same standard off it I'm sure he would've got it.
I'm kinda split on whether he should've been sacked, maybe a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I loved the football under Harry.
When England came calling and was supposedly nailed on for the job, him wanting the job and the press derailed our season. The FA should've appointed him but instead appointed Woy, can understand all the reasons and the reason Harry was sacked. Personally I was very disappointed he went, we were close to being title challengers if he'd stayed for the next 2-3 years IMO.

Really looking forward to this... so the wife randomly booked us a weekend away, getting home "at some point" on Monday evening... I know I will spend the whole of Monday trying to shufty us along and get cracking so we get home on time... will rush in the door all excited (followed by a miffed wife) and sit down with a beer just as Winks plays in Vardy for an easy breakaway goal.

Back