• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ** Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton - Sunday 6 October at 4.30 pm **

Does anyone think the European game may have had an affect on us?
The whole squad travelled I assume
I think so yes. That is why I thought we were a bit naive in leaving ourselves a bit short for PL players. With us having several players who are classed as u21 for PL competition we could've brought in a few more experienced players to help us through our PL games.

Wasn’t trying to make any other point than his Napoli side are currently top of Serie A.
Be interesting to see where they end up now
No Europe to worry about so he has his mid week break he loves
I did just check their results and they have played one top half team and played out a 0-0 draw. No idea how they played but fixtures do maybe have a correlation to results and form.

Last edited:
That first goal burst our weak confidence. Then we fell apart with the crowd, ref and their motivation all aligned to get back into the game.

For me, the lack of preparedness for their fightback was the greatest issue. As though we thought they would just do the same thing second half. Easy for us to say now, however.

We have to build on the first half display and accept to some degree, that this side are learning. A lot of young players. Udogie can be the best left back in the league. But he's not yet. VDV has sensational attributes but he's not impervious either, and at 23, nor would you expect him to be. Udogie is 21. Porro, who plays like a seasoned pro, only 24.

As a team they have to learn from this. Be ready next time. Be more resilient. Learn to control and dictate when in that kind of atmosphere occurs and momentum switches. Be braver, stronger, and more committed.

Totally agree on the lack of preparedness. For me, the added factor is that no-one stepped up to calm the moment/take the sting out of the game/call the meds on, etc...I think I expect too much of Romero because he is a World Cup winner.

I think so yes. That is why I thought we were a bit naive in leaving ourselves a bit short for PL players. With us having several players who are classed as u21 for PL competition we could've brought in a few more experienced players to help us through our PL games.

We really paid for it yesterday. In fairness, if Richarlison is fit we have an extra game changing option on the bench, and the injuries to Sonny and Odobert really counted yesterday.

But we just switched off. It is by far the most annoying defeat (for me) in a long long time as I find myself questioning the personality of out senior pros who seemed unable to take the sting out of the game at 2-1.

We really paid for it yesterday. In fairness, if Richarlison is fit we have an extra game changing option on the bench, and the injuries to Sonny and Odobert really counted yesterday.

But we just switched off. It is by far the most annoying defeat (for me) in a long long time as I find myself questioning the personality of out senior pros who seemed unable to take the sting out of the game at 2-1.

Not sure the manager wants/prepares his players to 'take the sting out of the game' - my feeling is his approach to turn it around would be to play our own football better, as opposed to trying to directly stop the oppositions ascendancy

Our senior pros, as I said earlier, between them haven’t achieved a lot
That quite worrying

Our senior pros, as I said earlier, between them haven’t achieved a lot
That quite worrying
One thing I wish we got back to is along with the young players and players from bottom half PL clubs approaching their prime, we should go out and bring in some experienced heads that have been there, done that. Someone like Edgar Davids, Gallas, or Perisic. Think we could do with one or two of those kind of heads around the squad.

One thing I wish we got back to is along with the young players and players from bottom half PL clubs approaching their prime, we should go out and bring in some experienced heads that have been there, done that. Someone like Edgar Davids, Gallas, or Perisic. Think we could do with one or two of those kind of heads around the squad.
Definitely one for sure
I’ll guess and say that Bentacur then Werner are the guys with the most trophies under their belt so in theory decent experience but neither is starter or at least guaranteed to start in the case of Bentacur

Definitely one for sure
I’ll guess and say that Bentacur then Werner are the guys with the most trophies under their belt so in theory decent experience but neither is starter or at least guaranteed to start in the case of Bentacur
Doesn't necessarily have to be a starter. Just needed someone in the dressing room slapping everyone in the face and telling them to focus as the job ain't done. We probably miss Lloris's influence there too.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a starter. Just needed someone in the dressing room slapping everyone in the face and telling them to focus as the job ain't done. We probably miss Lloris's influence there too.
I’m never convinced he Hugo as a captain but I’d id like his fight with Sonny
Apparently Milner said loads at half time yesterday for Brighton

Not sure the manager wants/prepares his players to 'take the sting out of the game' - my feeling is his approach to turn it around would be to play our own football better, as opposed to trying to directly stop the oppositions ascendancy

Agreed, I think you're right and in a sense so is he; had we continued to work as hard off the ball yesterday in the second-half as on it, we'd have been fine...but on the pitch -when the moment is suddenly there- we have to be able to do these things IMO. We've certainly been able to not play our own football in several patches over his tenure (inexplicably too!), so when these sudden moments in matches arrive, I'd hope that a fww of our older players would know. For all his faults (and he had them) Hojberg was very good at that sort of thing. I think (again) I expect too much of Romero because he's a world cup winner. Growing pains or endemic issues?

I really, really wanted us to try for Kimmich when there was a sniff. But that would require a salary which Levy won't pay.

Ro
Totally agree on the lack of preparedness. For me, the added factor is that no-one stepped up to calm the moment/take the sting out of the game/call the meds on, etc...I think I expect too much of Romero because he is a World Cup winner.
Romero is vice captain ...shouldn't he be the one organising the team? Maddison too?

Romero's ball watching is criminal.

Maddison wilted badly in the second half confirming for me he is at best an impact player.

Both have concentration and self motivation issues and do not have the credibilityto be leaders on the pitch

I cannot blame Ange for the goals conceded. All were defendable. We had players in place for all. We simply didn't get the job done because of focus/lack of fight. I am a big Bentancur fan but how on earth does he not make sure that the ball does NOT get across for the third, and even if it does, what is Romero doing switching off? The first goal? Destiny hashes it - maybe VdV in the middle puts him off, but after that, the entire side needed to step up and close down/press/meet aggression with aggression and they didn't. I would agree it was puzzling s to why (at 2-1 up) he did not make the necessary subs. There are a couple of theories, but neither are worthy excuses IMO. The system works if the playerts keep playing.

Even though we dominated the first half Wellbeck had 2 decent chances (when he ran behind Romero but sliced Mitoma’s pass wide and the header from Kadioglu’s cross that narrowly flew past the far post) either side Verbruggen allowing Maddison’s shot to squirm under him, which must’ve given Brighton some hope when they went in at half time only 2 down.

Would love to know why everyone bar Solanke looked so lackadaisical after the break but that combined with Estupinan’s introduction allowed Mitoma to take the game by the scruff of the neck in a manner that Maddison hasn’t shown for about 12 months. I guess Ange is still learning which players he can trust and hope that he makes more timely substitutions in future, until next summer transfer window gives him a chance to continue the painful rebuild.

Back