• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v ACF Fiorentina***

It's a 'fall between two stools' thing. I've always been adamant that 70 points should be our primary target, with anything beyond a bonus. Ergo, planning should be based around that aim, which includes helping secure that 4th spot in anticipation of similar campaigns down the line.

Throwing it all away to dash for the league title, given our fifty-five year wait for another one, just seems like setting up for disappointment to me.

We have to have 100% focus on the biggest prize which is the league

If we can win Europa as well then Great, but we cannot make sacrifices in the bigger prize for the sake of Europa.

Our primary target every season should be to win every competition We enter otherwise what's the point in entering it. However we have to balance our resources to achieve that goal too. And if that means changing the team up to play in the lesser commotions BUT still putting out a team capable of winning they Games then that is 100% the right call

Arsenal didn't play a team of kids tonight did they even though no one gave them a chance ... We won't play a team of kids on Thursday. We played a team good enough to win against Palace and treated the competition with the respect it deserved.

Given Man C, ManU and cheatski could very easily all spend well over £100m this summer as well as potentially having better managers. This could be by far the best chance we have to win the title for a while. Therefore going out on Thurs would be a blessing
Jeez, what a depressing and defeatist thread!

Why do we enter these competitions if we are happy to lose?
Preparing ourselves to fall as consolation seems rather negative.

Winning is a habit. One of berbatov's best ever performances (home against Bolton) was after a Euro trip. Of course League points are the priority but I want our boys going into the weekend game on the back of a win. If we get 6 points from the next 3 games, I will be very happy indeed. Anything more would be a dream....

I'm not saying "throw it all away". I might have been unclear, I'm not sure. But that's certainly not what I meant.

No, you weren't, and I didn't mean to imply that. From my perspective, risking a loss against Fiorentina this early into our EL campaign is just doing ourselves a disservice which could have repercussions down the line.

So you're saying if we aim for 4th, we're more likely to get 4th, but if we aim for 1st were more likely to finish below 4th? :confused:

Not exactly. I'm suggesting that, if we focus on keeping our head down and securing what we have, one game at a time, we might end up with tangible gains in the league and a chance to progress in Europe, keeping up our European coefficient and keeping 4th spot out of the hands of those sneaky Serie A types. :p If we say 'dash it all, 1st place or bust!' then every stumble becomes a disaster and eventual disappointment (which, despite all the optimism, is still very possible) seems worse than it is because of what will then be seen as 'avoidable' cup exits in a year when we could have won one.

It's just a perceptions thing, more than anything else.

Looking at the last dozen fixtures 100% sure 70pts will be enough for 4th. United and WHU would need to get 30pts out of the last 36 to eclipse that total. Just cant see any evidence either side could string a run like that together. I would even so as far to say 67pts will be enough. (If we continue to play to the standard we have done we could achieve that total before the Chelsea match)
With our GD, which I cant express enough how massive it could be this season, 71or 72pts might could secure 3rd, which in itself would be a great achievement in my eyes.
Anything above 3rd would be a dream

Sure, I agree. 70 points will be enough for 4th. Maybe even 67, although I wouldn't bank on that fact. And we need to get there in a workmanlike manner, which includes pushing the boat out in Europe too, at least to a certain extent: prioritizing the league when we're in two other competitions could be considered expeditious, but going out of two cups in a week doesn't exactly scream 'diversification' to me: it's more like putting all our eggs into the league title basket.

We'll have time to re-evaluate our participation in the EL around the quarter-finals, when we'll have a clearer idea of how our league position stands. If necessary, dropping it then, having buffed up the European coefficient and instilled more forward momentum, wouldn't be the worst thing if (if) we still looked capable of winning the league. But we can't make up for lost ground in cup competitions we're already out of, unlike in the league: and dropping it now, in late February, isn't too wise, imo.

Winning is a habit. One of berbatov's best ever performances (home against Bolton) was after a Euro trip. Of course League points are the priority but I want our boys going into the weekend game on the back of a win. If we get 6 points from the next 3 games, I will be very happy indeed. Anything more would be a dream....

We hear this a lot but I wonder if it is a footballism.

Obviously, I want us to win on Thursday too BTW.

Got to win and go through - simply to laugh at Gooners and their inability to win a European knock-out tie for yet another year:D

Mousa Dembele is unlikely to be risked by Tottenham for Thursday’s Europa League clash with Fiorentina.

The midfielder injured his groin during the 1-0 defeat by Crystal Palace at the weekend and could not play the second half.

Although the damage is not thought to be particularly severe, Dembele has been one of Tottenham’s best players this season and is a key man in their attempts to win a first League title since 1961.

Erik Lamela has missed the last two games with illness but the attacker should be back to face Fiorentina, with Tottenham needing only a 0-0 draw to advance to the last 16.

from the Standard.

No Kane for Fiortentina? I actually fancied us to get a result with him playing, now I'm not so sure.

Lloris back would indeed be good news, Lamela to give more options in the attacking positions.

Chadli up top again?

we've missed Lamela imo, he's a key part in both directions

i'd play Son up top assuming he is available with chadli in the three behind, i'd be tempted to leave Alli out and use Onomah instead

Winning is a habit. One of berbatov's best ever performances (home against Bolton) was after a Euro trip. Of course League points are the priority but I want our boys going into the weekend game on the back of a win. If we get 6 points from the next 3 games, I will be very happy indeed. Anything more would be a dream an error.

;)

Back