• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v ACF Fiorentina***

Agree with Milo, a rotated well prepared team, would be best on Thursday.

Otherwise we play Swansea with a tired side, and I think we'd be relying on the rub of the green to get a win. Poch and team need to earn their money now at the business end of the the season. A hard working rotated team will have a good chance at home, and if we lose, we can focus 100% on the league which will help us massively.

If our rotated team progress, then we will be using our squad to good effect. But will Poch feel pressure to play the big guns on Thursday and again Sunday?

Of our next four games, Swansea is by far the weakest side. We might start a strong side, but should not need to play one for the full 90 minutes.

The question is, do we start strong against Fiorentina and try to rest players when (if) it's in the box or ride out the first hour with a slightly weaker side before (hopefully) finishing them off?

All we need is a clean sheet, so would start the trio of Alderweireld - Wimmer - Dier. FBs will be Trippier and Davies.

I would still rest 9 (if possible) of Sundays starting X1 for the Fiorentina match. The team v Swansea need to be as fresh as possible

Thurs. Vorm; Trippier ,Alderweireld,CCV,Davies;Mason,Bentaleb;Onomah,Alli.Chadli;Son

Sun. Lloris;Walker.Alderweireld,Wimmer,Rose; Dier,Dembele;Lamlea,Alli.Eriksen;Kane

If the changed team isnt good enough to get the desired result, then so be it

Of our next four games, Swansea is by far the weakest side. We might start a strong side, but should not need to play one for the full 90 minutes.

The question is, do we start strong against Fiorentina and try to rest players when (if) it's in the box or ride out the first hour with a slightly weaker side before (hopefully) finishing them off?

All we need is a clean sheet, so would start the trio of Alderweireld - Wimmer - Dier. FBs will be Trippier and Davies.

It is a conundrum. But there are some indisputable facts.
  • We want to be in Europe and more games mean more chances for squad players.
  • Without a Thursday game, sides perform better in the league.
  • Swansea will be focused on playing us, this game will have been their focus for over a week. We will have 2-3 days to focus on them without distraction.
  • Poch has a great record with bringing younger players through.

Therefore I think we need to put faith in peripheral players, Bentaleb, Onomah, but as you say start a strong back 4 with Alderweirld. It's not just players fitness that is stretched, its management preparation. Teams like United effectively had a second manager and lots of other people preparing for multiple games in quick succession. Do we?

Providing we score one goal. Definitely do not want 30 mins extra -time

It is a conundrum. But there are some indisputable facts.
  • We want to be in Europe and more games mean more chances for squad players.
  • Without a Thursday game, sides perform better in the league.
  • Swansea will be focused on playing us, this game will have been their focus for over a week. We will have 2-3 days to focus on them without distraction.
  • Poch has a great record with bringing younger players through.

Therefore I think we need to put faith in peripheral players, Bentaleb, Onomah, but as you say start a strong back 4 with Alderweirld. It's not just players fitness that is stretched, its management preparation. Teams like United effectively had a second manager and lots of other people preparing for multiple games in quick succession. Do we?

The thing I believe will help us, as supporters, navigate all of this, is recognition of the fact that we are a year ahead of schedule on terms of squad development, that the manager has put in place some rock solid foundations which are being built upon, and that so many members of our squad are under 23. IF we were to go out on Thursday, that would be two cup competitions in a week. These players, these predominantly young young players, will have the bitter taste of defeat on the tips of their tongues and will be that much more hardened to it next season.One thing I have noticed with Poch sides is that they seem to learn and grow. We have been doing it consistently for 18 months. So for me, this is all experience for one of the youngest squads in the country. I think we will go through on Thursday furthermore, I think the more experience this squad gets in Europe, the better. I think at this point, I would be disappointed not to make top 4, that is an expectation which has come early but which at this point we would have to consider a 'must' in context of the season.

One thing I have noticed with Poch sides is that they seem to learn and grow. We have been doing it consistently for 18 months. So for me, this is all experience for one of the youngest squads in the country. I think we will go through on Thursday furthermore, I think the more experience this squad gets in Europe, the better. I think at this point, I would be disappointed not to make top 4, that is an expectation which has come early but which at this point we would have to consider a 'must' in context of the season.

You hear Poch refering to watching the games back and see what can be learnt. It is one of the keys to Pochettino sides. Rose will hopefully learn that he got a little flustered in the 5 minutes before the palace goal and out of shape in defence, and bear that in mind in the future.

While I agree its positive development, what is harder to manage is only having one out and out CF. Son has showed he can finish and play up top and Chadli at 26 can be a big player for us. We need him and Dembele (28) to complement our extremely young midfield and attack.

Last edited:
Rose will hopefully learn that he got a little flustered in the 5 minutes before the palace goal and out of shape in defence, and bear that in mind in the future.
Agreed, Rose was actually in the right half of the field, he was so far over. That meant that Zaha ran at both Rose and Wimmer and left the wide area free.

Really? Have you seen some of the teams left in the EL? The player quality and tactical variation there imo is much harder than what we'd be used to in the PL. There are some serious CL-level clubs left: Dortmund, Napoli, Villareal, two-year holders Sevilla to name just three.
:confused:;)

Really? Have you seen some of the teams left in the EL? The player quality and tactical variation there imo is much harder than what we'd be used to in the PL. There are some serious CL-level clubs left: Dortmund, Napoli, Villareal, two-year holders Sevilla to name just three.

The PL is much more in our hands if you look at it that way.

However, i'd like us to go for both, but winning either will be very hard and we'd have to perform at a level in either that we haven't managed for a generation.

It's thinking about how hard either will be that makes me even sadder that we lost yesterday, as the FA Cup is much more of a lottery and looking at who is left we'd have been in with a much bigger shout of winning that imo:(
It's a fact, not an opinion. We need help from other teams to win the PL. That's not the case in the EL. Djeez! You guys need to argue about fudging everything! Even stone hard facts!

It's a fact, not an opinion. We need help from other teams to win the PL. That's not the case in the EL. Djeez! You guys need to argue about fudgeing everything! Even stone hard facts!
Agree. If we win all our remaining fixtures, we'll need someone to nab a draw from Leicester, who are obviously en route to winning their remaining 12. :confused:

I'll tell you who needs help: Chelsea need help (and tons of it) to make it into the top-4, because even if they win all their remaining games, 69 pts might not be enough. We're 2 points from the top with 12 games to go. I don't think we need any help, as long as we focus on our games and maintain a high level of performance.

And these things are not facts. If we were 2 points from the top with a game to go, then yes, it would be a fact that we would need help to win the title.

Agree. If we win all our remaining fixtures, we'll need someone to nab a draw from Leicester, who are obviously en route to winning their remaining 12. :confused:

I'll tell you who needs help: Chelsea need help (and tons of it) to make it into the top-4, because even if they win all their remaining games, 69 pts might not be enough. We're 2 points from the top with 12 games to go. I don't think we need any help, as long as we focus on our games and maintain a high level of performance.

And these things are not facts. If we were 2 points from the top with a game to go, then yes, it would be a fact that we would need help to win the title.

And of all the teams to play last game, they go to Chelsea. They only chance of a favour that afternoon will be if they have to win to get into the Europa League. Can you imagine the atmosphere at the Bridge. the home fans cheering on Leciester...

Agree @alekaras All teams enter cup competitions with victory in their own hands!

Though I hope we win both the EL and PL, you can't despute that going out of the EL would give us the best chance to win the PL.

Agree with Milo, a rotated well prepared team, would be best on Thursday.

Otherwise we play Swansea with a tired side, and I think we'd be relying on the rub of the green to get a win. Poch and team need to earn their money now at the business end of the the season. A hard working rotated team will have a good chance at home, and if we lose, we can focus 100% on the league which will help us massively.

If our rotated team progress, then we will be using our squad to good effect. But will Poch feel pressure to play the big guns on Thursday and again Sunday?

Agreed. We can rotate the full backs, have 5 for 3 positions behind Kane (excl Onomah) and have options in CM. We don't need to play more than half the first 11 on Thurs and can still play a strong team

Agree @alekaras All teams enter cup competitions with victory in their own hands!

Though I hope we win both the EL and PL, you can't despute that going out of the EL would give us the best chance to win the PL.

Given the amounts which Man C, Man U and cheatski will spend in the summer and their managers next season, this chance to win the PL can be the only one for years for us. Losing on Thurs would be a blessing in disguise

Maybe Poch gave him the full 90 to get him more match fit for the Fiorentina game? I could easily see him starting on Thursday.

I would be VERY surprised to see him start on Thursday. Two games in four days for an 18 year old still developing would be too much in my view. I think Poch will play a strong team for the Fiorentina game. He won't want to go out of two cups in four days (like last year) and I think he will feel, as I do, that it is important to regain some momentum. Our two goals (excluding pens) in four games is a cause for concern for me and I think we need to address that with a convincing win on Thursday.

Also, there is no travelling involved so the strain on the players shouldn't be so great as it would have been if either game were away from home.

Last edited:

I was referring to the league and, yes, I agree that going out of EL would increase our chances to win the title. I would like to see us win both, though. I think it's doable.

Back