• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I will take Nolan's or Anderson's worst film over any of the brick that gets served up these days. Thankfully there are still people making movies for themselves rather than what they think makes money.
Agree. The amount of quality movies has been in rapid decline for a long time. Everything seems to be about series now. I don't have time for 15 seasons with 20 episodes. I really miss a steady flow of good movies.

Watched The Triangle of Sadness the other day. Entertaining and interesting if not perfect. Not as good as Force Majeure which was pretty flawless.

I will take Nolan's or Anderson's worst film over any of the brick that gets served up these days. Thankfully there are still people making movies for themselves rather than what they think makes money.

Them two, along with a handful of others like Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro and Ben Wheatley, are contemporary directors I'll just automatically go and see anything they release, based purely on their name/back catalogue, and am almost never disappointed.

Agree. The amount of quality movies has been in rapid decline for a long time. Everything seems to be about series now. I don't have time for 15 seasons with 20 episodes. I really miss a steady flow of good movies.

I don't think the production of films has really recovered yet from Covid. The last 2-3 years has been pretty poor all round. But late capitalism is also squeezing out just about any remaining resemblance of creativity and artistry.

That's true, but a good 6-8 episode mini series with Hollywood quality production allows for a lot more exploration than a film does.

Yes, but in most cases, series have way to many episodes. A lot of unnecessary "dead" time in an awful lot of series.

With many being on streaming services now i don't get it. Each episode can be a different length, as can each series. 1 series can be 12 episodes, the next 8. Have them fit the story you want to tell. You are no longer trying to fill time slots.

With many being on streaming services now i don't get it. Each episode can be a different length, as can each series. 1 series can be 12 episodes, the next 8. Have them fit the story you want to tell. You are no longer trying to fill time slots.

Didn't TLOU do that with the last episode being shorter as they wanted to stay true to the game? That was a high quality series with virtually zero deadtime

But there's massive padding out to get maximum hours of engagement. Like how did adapting a 250 page book, The Handmaid's Tale, end up being 70 odd episodes over 6 series? It's not telling the story in the most fitting way. There's no artistic integrity. It's just about getting a hook in, then bleeding as many hours possible out of those that cling on.

But there's massive padding out to get maximum hours of engagement. Like how did adapting a 250 page book, The Handmaid's Tale, end up being 70 odd episodes over 6 series? It's not telling the story in the most fitting way. There's no artistic integrity. It's just about getting a hook in, then bleeding as many hours possible out of those that cling on.

Ok but netflix now usually cancels a show after 3 seasons as it doesn't bring in new customers (think that is stupid because they lose others). For streaming the rules are different. Think it used to be 48 episodes would make the show franchised so it could be shown every week day for a number of weeks. Which meant they got a lot more money.

I think he was generally brilliant, especially in psychological thrillers, Falling Down and The Game too.

Falling Down is fantastic! Not sure how a character like that would be received these days even though he doesn’t target any specific person or demographic, he’s just fed up with the world. What strikes me is there’s no release whenever he loses his brick, just sadness. My favourite line in the film is when the old boy has a heart attack and he says “now you’re gonna die wearing that stupid little hat, how does it feel?” I don’t know if that was intentionally funny but it gets me every time :D

Falling Down is fantastic! Not sure how a character like that would be received these days even though he doesn’t target any specific person or demographic, he’s just fed up with the world. What strikes me is there’s no release whenever he loses his brick, just sadness. My favourite line in the film is when the old boy has a heart attack and he says “now you’re gonna die wearing that stupid little hat, how does it feel?” I don’t know if that was intentionally funny but it gets me every time :D

For me it hit home and you feel sorry for him by the end. We all have days that things build up and things snowball into a day of frustration that is out of reality or context, days where literally everything upsets you. Not to that extreme but its so relatable, especially if you lived and worked in London.

Back