• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I thought the first Taken was brilliant, not seen the 2nd one yet, with some of your reviews on here, not sure I want to

I have no idea why a good actor like him has seemingly decended into this abyss of utter puke action flicks of late.

Is he broke?

I have no idea why a good actor like him has seemingly decended into this abyss of utter puke action flicks of late.

Is he broke?

He's sad. And he's also old.

He is 60.

Who wouldn't want to do an action movie and be fit at that age.

He looks better than most 40 year olds

Saw Frankenweenie...a wonderful, wonderful film. Tim Burton is a true artist. Love what he's trying to keep alive...a great man!

Just seen Prometheus. What an absolute steaming pile of manure. Makes AVP look like Oscar material. You'll get better acting and story lines in your average daytime soap.

Just seen Prometheus. What an absolute steaming pile of manure. Makes AVP look like Oscar material. You'll get better acting and story lines in your average daytime soap.

“Not the seminal science fiction film one wants from Ridley Scott…the sets and special effects are well done, but these things no longer surprise or tantalize us as they once did.” – The New York Times

“There is very little involvement with the characters themselves…a generally good cast in cardboard roles.” – Variety

“An overblown B-movie…technically impressive but awfully portentous and as difficult to sit through as a Black Mass sung in Latin.” – Los Angeles Herald Examiner

“An empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickers cannot disguise imaginative poverty.” – Time Out

Guess the film?

“Not the seminal science fiction film one wants from Ridley Scott…the sets and special effects are well done, but these things no longer surprise or tantalize us as they once did.” – The New York Times

“There is very little involvement with the characters themselves…a generally good cast in cardboard roles.” – Variety

“An overblown B-movie…technically impressive but awfully portentous and as difficult to sit through as a Black Mass sung in Latin.” – Los Angeles Herald Examiner

“An empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickers cannot disguise imaginative poverty.” – Time Out

Guess the film?

Alien

This one really did suck though. The characters are just empty caricatures and you don't give a damn about what happens to them. A lot of the story was just a rehash of AVP.

I remember there was a lot of negativity around Chronicles of Riddingdong when it came out, basically branded a gigantic waste of money. That movie is art compared to Prometheus.

So, Prometheus was written by Damon Lindelof and some unknown and it shows.

Prometheus vs AVP:

- Both movies have a team of scientists and mercenaries on a ship heading to a classified destination. The trip is funded by the Weyland Corporation.

- Both movies feature a sick and dying Mr. Weyland.

- Both Weylands have a personal reason for making the trip.

- The team is briefed on their ship about why they're there and what they hope to find and how it could be a history changing discovery.

- Both movies feature the discovery of a pyramid.

- Both movies feature a holographic projection of the pyramid.

- Both movies say humans once worshiped aliens as their gods.

- Both movies have a storm that causes one character to save another.

- Both Pyramids contain Aliens or in Prometheus' case, Aliens in their earliest form.

- Both movies feature a nerd and a hard ass getting lost together in the pyramid and eventually they both die.

- Both movies' protagonists had a strong relationship with their fathers.

- Shaw clings onto her father's cross; Lex clings on to Sebastian's Bottle cap necklace.

- Both Weylands get killed by a giant alien. (Engineer and Predator)

- An explosion occurs which saves the earth from the spread of the aliens. (Pyramid blowing up and Prometheus crashing into the Engineer's ship.)

- Our lead protagonist defeats the final threat with the aid of an alien. (Predator and giant face hugger.)

- Our lead protagonist gets on a vehicle and drives away to safety.

- Final scene of an Engineer/Predator getting chest bursted. The final shot is of a chestburster screaming into the camera.

Alien

I remember there was a lot of negativity around Chronicles of Riddingdong when it came out, basically branded a gigantic waste of money. That movie is art compared to Prometheus.

I like the Riddingdong films

I like almost all sci-fi films

Prometheus in 3D was one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in years

Also watched it again on my Nexus

Still loved it. Oh well, its all opinions

Prometheus looked impressive on cinema screen with Ridley Scott' typical style but Lindelof make a mess of the plot. This has inspired a multitude of mocking videos, 2 the better ones imo:

Honest Trailers - Prometheus - YouTube

Red Letter Media talks about Prometheus - SPOILERS - YouTube

Rumour is that Lindelof might not be available to pen the sequel so fingers crossed that someone rather more able is given the job.

Prometheus is a good film, it's just a victim of expectation and of being one of those films that's it's cool to slam.

Back