• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I think the rationale for us giving him a new deal and ONLY A 3 YEAR DEAL is presumably that AVB thinks he wont now get another CF in and we dont want to be in a position where this time next year he only has one year left on this deal and then we#re forced to sell him on the cheap

I wouldnt portray this as a matter vote of confidence for him. More that Levy doesnt like losing players for below market value

Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

Defoe just signed new 3 yr extension. Official club news source.

Bye bye all other striker transfer rumours.

Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

intertsing to see if AVB can improve his movement off the ball and link up play. Redknapp never managed to.

Also his preponderance to get needlessly offside when he can clearly look down the line. On the evidence of the West Brom game, AVB still has a lot of work to do.

Sorry, can't be arsed to read a 45 page thread about a player which was started in January just to find the part where he signed a contract 7 months later! Can someone put it here please? :D

Sorry, can't be arsed to read a 45 page thread about a player which was started in January just to find the part where he signed a contract 7 months later! Can someone put it here please? :D

You don't have to start on page one you know. ;)

Everyone seems to think that he is surplus to requirements but maybe he is central to AVBs plans now?
For whatever reason, he HAS been our focal striker for most friendliest and both league games, and is on good form. Maybe the boss likes what he sees.

That reason being it was either him or Kane :lol:

I hope this is like when Stephen Kelly signed his new contract (then got sold the following day).

If we are getting another striker in and Defoe is occasional back up, then fine. But if AVB is going to persist with playing Defoe up front on his own then not good.

Think Defoe is decent enough in the right system. But AVB's system isn't it. Defoe needs a system which creates space to run into, rather than closes it down. The one time he looked really threatening on Saturday was when he picked the ball just inside their half and ran at the defenders, and shot narrowly wide.

Defoe is not a particularly good decision maker when he is on the ball, and doesn't have a lot of composure in front of goal. I don't really see him changing the way he plays now, so he can play in the tight spaces a high pressing game creates. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm betting AVB will figure this all out for himself after a dozen or so games. Albeit a bit too late.

Or one in the eye for everyone who appreciates that one bad turn on Ade's ankle and our season becomes a write-off.

Got to agree. Why give a player who is unsuitable a new deal? Without Ade it will be like the opening two games of the season the entire season, noone wants to see that.

Or maybe it's one in the eye for people that think AVB only has one way of playing and appreciates Defoe could come on to partner Ade in a 4-4-2 if plan A doesn't work! Would prefer us to sign another striker

Or one in the eye for everyone who appreciates that one bad turn on Ade's ankle and our season becomes a write-off.

Blame that on management who are ready to start the season with Harry Kane as one of our three strikers. That has nothing to do with Defoe. Kane is patently not good

Got to agree. Why give a player who is unsuitable a new deal? Without Ade it will be like the opening two games of the season the entire season, noone wants to see that.

So you think Harry Kane is the answer then? Personally I would take Defoe ahead of Kane right now every time

Last edited:

So you think Harry Kane is the answer then? Personally I would take Defoe ahead of Kane right not every time

Yup, anyone who thinks Defoe isn't the answer most definitely wants to play Harry Kane...

There is no other option.

Really surprised by this news, not really sure what to make of it. Defoe was trying to drop deep and link up play against West Brom, and we did create chances with him in the team. And we also played well at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Valencia with him in the side leading the line. So maybe we can play well with him.

But is he really a lone striker? Is AVB really happy with him? Just can't understand it. I guess he is. Good player but couldn't see him as a lone striker. But to be fair, the poor section of the performance against WBA wasn't about not being able to reach Defoe upfront, it was about losing shape and not keeping possession. But we did it very well in the first half. Just very surprising.

This news tells me that we aren't going to be signing a striker this window. Adebayor is the only one. Defoe is back up along with Harry Kane and if needed Dembele can play there as he has played there in the past.

Great news, one less goal than Ade in half the time on the field. We'd miss him if he had gone.

Back