• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Adebayors 18 goals:

PRM - Wolves (A)
PRM - Liverpool (H) x2
PRM - Aston Villa (H) x2
PRM - West Brom (A) x2
PRM - Stoke (A)
PRM - Chelsea (H)
PRM - Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H)
PRM - Arsenal (A)
FAC - Stevenage (H)
PRM - Swansea (H) x2
PRM - Bolton (A) x2
PRM - Aston Villa (A)
PRM - Fulham (H)

Defoes 17 goals:

EUR - Hearts (A)
PRM - Wolves (A)
PRM - Liverpool (H)
EUR - Shamrock (H)
PRM - Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A)
PRM - Fulham (A)
PRM - West Brom (A)
PRM - Bolton (H)
EUR - Shamrock (A)
PRM - West Brom (H)
FAC - Cheltenham (H)
PRM - Emirates Marketing Project (A)
PRM - Man Utd (H)
FAC - Stevenage (H) x2
PRM - Norwich (H)
PRM - Fulham (H)

17 v 11 in the PL seems better, but the minutes were a lot less (ca 2834 v 1291). So Defoe has a better goals per minute record.

Of course, that is not he only important thing. Other reasons back Adebayor starting, but the stats do suggest the value of Defoe off the bench, somthing he has proved time after time. When Berbatov and Keane where impressing, Defoe still had a good tally.

Yup, anyone who thinks Defoe isn't the answer most definitely wants to play Harry Kane...

There is no other option.

Suffice to say we have 3 strikers and Kane is the weakest. If I were bringing a new one and I wanted to still have just 3 strikers I would send Kane on loan or sell him because I do not think he is ready for this league

I'm pleased that this has been sorted out. Defoe is not the future but he can still make a really important contribution to the team and a younger replacement with a similar goal scoring record would cost us the wrong side of £15m.

Its the long and short of anything though, is it?

Exhibit A - the age old Darren Bent argument. Statistically excellent, and yet no one batted an eyelid when he left because he just didnt compliment the team.

For me Darren Bent and Defoe are the same beast. Both great personal statistics but I would expect it to be as simple as "Do we score more goals with them in the team or without them" I would bet it is without them... My take is whoever replaced them contributed more to the team as a whole, whether that be scoring a goal or setting one up or movement that allowed a chance to be created or taken.

In which aspects of his game do you see Defoe as superior?

I think that Defoe is a better all round player and more adaptable. Bent really does need the team built around him to play at his best. Defoe undoubtedly plays his best football with a strike partner but he can take up a number of roles within that partnership and play them well.

Stats do not mean everything, but they do start to add up. We do better with Defoe on the pitch, by a margin of 2-1 . He has the best goals per min record, by a fair margin. He loses the ball less than all our other strikers, in fact for two years in a row, he lost the ball less than any other striker in the PL, not seen updated stats.

He does well for England, who also do better when he is on the pitch. There is no evidence that he he cannot play as a lone striker as it has not been tried. There is evidence that we should not hoof it up to him in the air , if he is. I think AVB is going to suss that one out.

He should not have been subbed on Saturday, we may have got 3 points if he was not. He should have been on the pitch against Villa last year.......

Right now he is one of our most important players - all the evidence suggests that.

If Defoe was 22 and played in France half of this board will be desperate for us to sign him based on his stats and YouTube highlights.

absolutely false. he's not 22, he's 29 and very VERY limited, so your argument is null and void.

absolutely false. he's not 22, he's 29 and very VERY limited, so your argument is null and void.

Was he very, very limited when we beat Cheese 2-1 at the Lane in 2010?

I'm not sure that you got the point I was trying to make. We often overrate players who are no better than Defoe and would cost a whole lot more.

Bloody predictive text. That should read Chelsea not Cheese :ross:

There was a time when Jermain Defoe might have grown exasperated by life on the periphery with club and country. The striker can complete a half-century of caps in Moldova on Friday, though if he starts, it will still feel surprising given his role is that of the perennial substitute. Back at Tottenham Hotspur he spent the summer wondering whether another new manager might be inclined to ship him elsewhere; his future was in doubt right up to the eve of the transfer deadline.

Once all that would have felt as demoralising as it is frustrating. Yet, for Defoe a sense of perspective now prevails. The 29-year-old lost his father, Jimmy, to throat cancer during Euro 2012. Then, while the striker was on a pre-season tour of the United States with his club, his cousin Hannah – nine years his junior – was electrocuted as she dived into a swimming pool in St Lucia. "When you are young, nothing is more important than football," he said. "But, as you get older, you get married, have kids, lose people … Then you realise your family is more important."

Defoe has had to deal with too many family tragedies over recent years. This is a player who lost his half brother, Jade "Gavin" Defoe, following an assault in Leytonstone three years ago, before the summer's traumas left him scarred. He was with Jimmy Defoe when his father's cancer was first diagnosed, there to offer comfort and prayers, only for his father's health to deteriorate before the tournament in Poland and Ukraine. He had expected to have to make the painful journey home at some stage, with the England management staff having offered their own support throughout those difficult last few weeks.

That he has maintained his focus through the tail-end of last season, through the warm-up fixtures and into the finals themselves is remarkable. "It was difficult for my family, and hard for me," he said. "From day one, when he was diagnosed, I was with him from that first meeting in the hospital. I had to tell Dad it would be OK, and to be positive, to keep praying and have faith. I have always known about cancer but to be around someone and see what it does to them in such a short space of time was mad.

"It makes you think about your life: you have to keep your friends close, and your family too. The manager [Roy Hodgson] was brilliant before the Euros. We had a training camp [at London Colney] and, every afternoon, I'd get in my car to go down to the Royal Marsden hospital to spend a few hours with my dad. The manager told me to make sure I saw him every afternoon and just come back for the meetings. That was so nice. It helps when you feel you can approach the manager and speak about things other than just football.

"My cousin … she was only 20. You have to ask questions when things like that happen. It was so sad. Now the only time I am really at peace is when I am training and playing. Obviously, when you are on your own, you start thinking about stuff. You think about your life. You don't know for sure whether you will be here tomorrow. But you have to be strong."

Defoe dedicated his magnificent winning goal in last month's friendly in Italy to Hannah, who would have turned 21 on the day after the game. Even his career high points are offered a more grounded context these days.

He travels to Chisinau on Thursday as England's senior forward – presumably competing with Danny Welbeck for a lone role given the absence of Andy Carroll through injury – as the national side set out on their World Cup qualification campaign. The Spurs striker goes armed with a new three-year contract at White Hart Lane that materialised almost as if from the ether just as suggestions intensified that he might be on the verge of departing. He is now "settled", content and relishing life under André Villas-Boas, even if there is a sense of relief that the turmoil surrounding the transfer deadline has subsided.

"That was all a bit mad," he added. "I had my wisdom tooth out, so wasn't around for a day and, when I came back, Tom [Huddlestone] had gone to Stoke [he would eventually return having failed to sign at the Britannia stadium] and someone else had gone as well. I said to the lads: 'I miss one day and all the players are leaving.' But it's all something you get used to. There will be a lot of changes and sometimes it takes time. Just as it takes time for the manager to get used to the players. I'm sure we will come through fine." A sense of perspective prevails.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/...aps-tragedy?utm_source=API&utm_medium=twitter

Defoe is a decent EPL striker,
But he great in the super sub role.
Hopefully he can accept that and move on.
We'll need quality coming off the bench if want to be involved in all competitions.

And even though Villas-Boas has changed the formation to a 4-2-3-1, Defoe says he has no problems playing on his own in the Tottenham attack.

Defoe said: "I have been playing the lone striker and I have enjoyed it. When you have good players and good midfielders behind you it is not a problem.

"Your movement has got to be good and when you get a chance you have got to take it.

"You have to be patient. You don't get as many touches in the game compared to if you were playing a 4-4-2. You cannot drop too deep as there will be no-one up front and you have to come alive at the right times.

Have you really enjoyed being completely isolated and played in a system where your positive attributes as a player are negated which makes you and everyone else on your team look brick?

And even though Villas-Boas has changed the formation to a 4-2-3-1, Defoe says he has no problems playing on his own in the Tottenham attack.

Defoe said: "I have been playing the lone striker and I have enjoyed it. When you have good players and good midfielders behind you it is not a problem.

"Your movement has got to be good and when you get a chance you have got to take it.

"You have to be patient. You don't get as many touches in the game compared to if you were playing a 4-4-2. You cannot drop too deep as there will be no-one up front and you have to come alive at the right times.

Have you really enjoyed being completely isolated and played in a system where your positive attributes as a player are negated which makes you and everyone else on your team look brick?
You don't get too many touches of the ball. Ade does

Back