• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Everton won't be able to afford him, and he won't want to leave the capital anyway. Still, if he did, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Sunderland could both be good options, as could Liverpool if they chose to take an interest. A good 8-10 million pound fee would smooth over the unfair way we're treating him, I think.

Then getting Victor Moses in doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world. As long as, and this is the key here, as long as we buy another two strikers to allow for rotation. Ade + one other or just two others, but we must buy three this summer. We cannot go into the new campaign with Saha as one of them.

Defoe reveals he wanted to leave Tottenham in January

The striker asked to go out on loan to save his Euro 2012 spot but Harry Redknapp assured him he was a key member of the squad and that he should stay

Jermain Defoe has revealed he wanted to leave Tottenham in January due to a lack of regular game time.

The England striker worked with a fitness trainer throughout last summer, cancelling his holidays in the process, and has since found himself sat on the bench at White Hart Lane this season.

He told The Daily Mirror: “In a way, it feels as though it has all been a waste.

“I wanted to give myself the best chance of breaking into the team and keeping my place. But I’ve just not had a chance.

"Last week, I was ready. I wanted to come on and score the winner. But again it didn’t happen. It breaks the spirit a bit.”

Defoe asked Harry Redknapp if he could go out on loan in January to give himself a chance of being in the England squad for Euro 2012 but his manager persuaded him to stay and play an important part in the squad.

He continued: “I didn’t want to leave. I don’t go thinking, 'I want to go to this club or that club.' But in January I just wasn’t playing enough and I did go to the manager and ask to go out on loan.

“He told The Daily Mirror: “In a way, it feels as though it has all been a waste.

“I wanted to give myself the best chance of breaking into the team and keeping my place. But I’ve just not had a chance.

"Last week, I was ready. I wanted to come on and score the winner. But again it didn’t happen. It breaks the spirit a bit.”

Defoe asked Harry Redknapp if he could go out on loan in January to give himself a chance of being in the England squad for Euro 2012 but his manager persuaded him to stay and play an important part in the squad.

He continued: “I didn’t want to leave. I don’t go thinking, 'I want to go to this club or that club.' But in January I just wasn’t playing enough and I did go to the manager and ask to go out on loan.

“He said to me, ‘I don’t want you to go out on loan. We are trying to do something special here. Don’t go.’ And so I stayed. And I worked hard to keep myself sharp.

“But still I haven’t had that run of games. It still feels like I will only get a game if someone is injured or suspended.

"Sometimes I even feel like I’m in the youth team, because I know that, whatever I do in midweek, I won’t get a game at the weekend.

“The manager picks the team and I would never be disrespectful to the manager. But when someone doesn’t talk to you and explain what’s going on its hard.

“I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I’m out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don’t get the chance to play?”

There is still a chance the 29-year-old will be in Poland and Ukraine this summer as Roy Hodgson is looking for a striker to fill Wayne Rooney's boots whilst he sits the first two games out due to suspension, and Defoe believes his lack of game time will mean he is fresh for the tournament.

He added: “That is the one positive - if I do get the chance to go to the Euros, I will be fresh and ready.

"Coming on with a few minutes to go in every other Premier League game means I’m sharp.

“Other people may have done that in qualifiers but in big international tournaments - when the pressure is on to get a goal or go home - it is much harder.

"I’m hoping that, having done that before, I can do it again.”

“I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I’m out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don’t get the chance to play?”

There is still a chance the 29-year-old will be in Poland and Ukraine this summer as Roy Hodgson is looking for a striker to fill Wayne Rooney's boots whilst he sits the first two games out due to suspension, and Defoe believes his lack of game time will mean he is fresh for the tournament.

He added: “That is the one positive - if I do get the chance to go to the Euros, I will be fresh and ready.

"Coming on with a few minutes to go in every other Premier League game means I’m sharp.

“Other people may have done that in qualifiers but in big international tournaments - when the pressure is on to get a goal or go home - it is much harder.

"I’m hoping that, having done that before, I can do it again.”

I must say, I can understand Jermaine's frustration. I think Harry's been unfair to him this season, in terms of not using him as much as his performances have warranted.

We did well earlier in the season when he started up top alongside Ade:

2-0 against Wolves
4-0 against Liverpool
2-1 against Arsenal
3-1 against West Brom
3-0 against Bolton
1-0 against West Brom

Scored in all but the Arsenal game.

I do like VDV and Ade up top in general, but definitely think he could have been brought on earlier at times or started more against weaker teams.

I like Defoe and think he's a very good striker, but in very limited situations. He'll be sold in the summer and I don't think we'll miss him. Our game is on a different level to him, tactically, and unfortunately there's no room for sentiment.

We really should keep Defoe. He adds something different. You CANNOT have foru strikers with the exact same style of play - how the fudge you gonna change it up otherwise?

Have no problem keeping Defoe as a squad player however would be worried if he became a first choice as that would indicate that we've gone backwards. The fact that he's never established himself at international level (even in the squad let alone team) and that no bigger team has ever looked to sign him indicates the level which he's at.

The main reason for selling him this summer is that he turns 30 in Oct and Levy might be able to wangle ?ú10m - ?ú12m for him now however wait a year and that value will plummet quickly

Defoe asked for move

Tottenham striker admits he made request in January

By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @skygraemebailey. Last Updated: May 11, 2012 9:46am

The England striker has found it hard to break into the Spurs starting line-up this term with Harry Redknapp preferring a pairing of Emmanuel Adebayor and Rafael van der Vaart.

Defoe has started just 11 games and he admits that he did ask for a move earlier this year, with Liverpool very strongly linked with his services.

"I didn't want to leave. I don't go thinking, 'I want to go to this club or that club.'" he told the Daily Mirror.

"But in January I just wasn't playing enough and I did go to the manager and ask to go out on loan.

"He said to me, 'I don't want you to go out on loan. We are trying to do something special here. Don't go.' And so I stayed. And I worked hard to keep myself sharp."

"I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I'm out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don't get the chance to play?"
Jermain Defoe Quotes of the week

Not happy

Despite staying at White Hart Lane, Defoe admits that his attitude remains the same.

"But still I haven't had that run of games. It still feels like I will only get a game if someone is injured or suspended," he said.

"Sometimes I even feel like I'm in the youth team, because I know that, whatever I do in midweek, I won't get a game at the weekend.

"The manager picks the team and I would never be disrespectful to the manager. But when someone doesn't talk to you and explain what's going on it's hard.

"I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I'm out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don't get the chance to play?"

Defoe remains positive that his lack of games will make him fresh for the European Championship this summer and with Wayne Rooney suspended for the opening two games he has high hopes of making the 23-man squad.

Sharp

"That is the one positive - if I do get the chance to go to the Euros, I will be fresh and ready," he said.

"Coming on with a few minutes to go in every other Premier League game means I'm sharp.

"The manager [Hodgson] is a football man. Having been at a tournament before [taking Switzerland to USA 94], he will also know it's all about having people who can come in and get you a goal.

"Other people may have done that in qualifiers but in big international tournaments - when the pressure is on to get a goal or go home - it is much harder.

"I'm hoping that, having done that before, I can do it again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7748301/Defoe-asked-for-move

If he doesn't realise why he's not getting game time then he's even more stupid than I thought. He is a flat track bully, who has nothing to his game apart from a good shot. His movement is appalling, he has no idea how to time a run, or how to create space for himself, and the fact he has a fantastic shot has disguised all his other shortcomings for years. I agree there are times when he should have been played, like when Ade was going through a poor spell, but Defoe's problem was that even when he was played he did nothing to suggest he should remain in the team. He is an impact sub unfortunately, and if he wants to play regular football then he will have to accept that it will have to be at a club lower down the league than us.

If he doesn't realise why he's not getting game time then he's even more stupid than I thought. He is a flat track bully, who has nothing to his game apart from a good shot. His movement is appalling, he has no idea how to time a run, or how to create space for himself, and the fact he has a fantastic shot has disguised all his other shortcomings for years. I agree there are times when he should have been played, like when Ade was going through a poor spell, but Defoe's problem was that even when he was played he did nothing to suggest he should remain in the team. He is an impact sub unfortunately, and if he wants to play regular football then he will have to accept that it will have to be at a club lower down the league than us.

Bit harsh on him... the point of the article is that Harry told him not to go out on loan, but then still didn't give him much playing time. He isn't moaning in the interview; he's just saying he wants to play. I can understand his frustration. For the record, whilst I too don't think he'll ever be a top striker, he has scored 1 goal every 127 minutes for us in the Premier League this season. (In comparison RVP has 1 every 108 minutes). A pretty good return, and one which suggests it's unfair and inaccurate to say "he did nothing to suggest he should remain in the team".

Last edited:
Jermaine Defoe "loves the club" yet kicks up a fuss about not getting playing 2 days before our most important game of the season.

We really should keep Defoe. He adds something different. You CANNOT have foru strikers with the exact same style of play - how the fudge you gonna change it up otherwise?

Depends on whether you want causing our midfield to be overrun while we have 2 players stood with their hands on their hips at the halfway line as something different and changing it up.

We definitely need to bring in 2 or 3 forwards this summer. But Defoe isn't good enough or the right type of player for modern systems.

Depends on whether you want causing our midfield to be overrun while we have 2 players stood with their hands on their hips at the halfway line as something different and changing it up.

We definitely need to bring in 2 or 3 forwards this summer. But Defoe isn't good enough or the right type of player for modern systems.

Come on, Defoe is pretty hard-working, and has often been given the responsibility of getting goalside of the opposition's deepest midfielder when they have the ball.

"But Defoe isn't good enough or the right type of player for modern systems" - I understand where you're coming from, but in games where we are dominating possession in the opponent's third then I think he has a lot to offer. When we have all the possession and just need a goal, Defoe has that ability to score out of nothing. Certainly better than Adebayor in those situations IMO.

It has been difficult to fit Defoe into the side. However I don't think he has been given a fair go at times this year. His injuries certainly didn't help him at key times in the season. There were a number of games when Rafa was injured, we didn't have Saha and Defoe was out injured too. Unfortunate for him.

I compare him to Aguero in terms of stature. The more I see of Aguero the more I'm underwhelmed with him. I think Defoe is still a decent striker. He seems like he has a decent attitude at times, but then I would like him to show more understanding as to why he doesn't get game time, by trying to evolve him game, and understand he needs to perform a function in the side, other than just banging in a long ranger every now and then.

He certainly can score some absolute crackers though.

hahaha Ade back to City, Defoe wants to get away, and Saha is out of contract too i think, we will have no strikers this summer

brilliant work messrs Levy and Redknapp=D>

hahaha Ade back to City, Defoe wants to get away, and Saha is out of contract too i think, we will have no strikers this summer

Why don't you wait until the end of the transfer window before judging them on our striker situation?

what about if this is all to have enough money to get the striker we need. what will ya say then?

Don't fear we still have Simon Dawkins under contract, so there's one senior striker at the club.

Getting 10m for Defoe will be an important part of our transfer activity this summer,
as Adam says above his value will drop if we keep him on - Defoe turns 30 and has only two years left on his contract.
This is the time to sell and reinvest. I hear Reading is very interested in him, they won't get relegated with Defoe up front.

Why don't you wait until the end of the transfer window before judging them on our striker situation?

oh so its not enough to judge them on the striker situation up to now????:D

weve been waiting 3 years for a top forward or two to arrive

what about if this is all to have enough money to get the striker we need. what will ya say then?

but we will need to buy 2 or 3 strikers, you seriously think we will go into a new season with european football as well as domestic football on the horizon with only 1 goalscorer/striker?:-s

oh so its not enough to judge them on the striker situation up to now????:D

weve been waiting 3 years for a top forward or two to arrive

This.

We have failed to sign the top forward we need for 3 years. I can't see us doing well buying three of them in a single transfer window.

Back