• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

This.

We have failed to sign the top forward we need for 3 years. I can't see us doing well buying three of them in a single transfer window.

The problem was we needed to sign the absolute top quality if we were going to spend money and improve. With Pav, Defoe and Crouch it isn't easy to find someone who is a definite upgrade, who is willing to come here, sit within our wage structure and be on our price range. We managed to replace Crouch with Ade, and it remains to be seen if we can do that again. Defoe and Pav have good records though, it's not easy to find strikers that would be definite upgrades that would come here and fill all those factors, so it's best to stay with what we know.

But, if we then have zero strikers at the club. I'm confident we'd sign 3 good ones. We'd have to. It's not because we don't know where they are, it's just that it's tough to find the definite improvements. But if we have nothing in the first place, it's not hard to improve on that.

oh so its not enough to judge them on the striker situation up to now????:D

weve been waiting 3 years for a top forward or two to arrive

Yeah it's fine to judge them on the situation up to now: We currently have VDV, Adebayor, Defoe and Saha as our 4 forward options.

Certainly a significant improvement on when Harry arrived, when we had Bent, Pav and Frazier Campbell.

You're judging them on something that hasn't actually happened yet - losing Ade, Defoe and Saha, and not buying ANYONE to replace them.

Yeah it's fine to judge them on the situation up to now: We currently have VDV, Adebayor, Defoe and Saha as our 4 forward options.

Certainly a significant improvement on when Harry arrived, when we had Bent, Pav and Frazier Campbell.

You're judging them on something that hasn't actually happened yet - losing Ade, Defoe and Saha, and not buying ANYONE to replace them.

we shall see

Speaking of strikers, I'd be very surprised if someone didn't make a serious move for Burak Yilmaz this summer. He's been in terrific form this season.

I put JD in the same frame as Jenas, neither has quite come off for us, if you play JD in a 4-4-2 there is no doubt he will score you 20 goals a season but imo his overall game is poor, one thing I have noticed with Defoe is that the poor bugger gets knocked all over the place because he is small but never seems to win us free kicks, I think he has to leave for his own good and if he does I wish him well.

but we will need to buy 2 or 3 strikers, you seriously think we will go into a new season with european football as well as domestic football on the horizon with only 1 goalscorer/striker?:-s

Think we only need 2 tbh - Ade and Ade back-up/competition. After this year's experiences I don't think we'll be going back to 4-4-2 (where you need 4 forwards) in a hurry.

What we also need though is perhaps a versitile wide midfielder who can double up as a third forward - someone like Remy.

This.

We have failed to sign the top forward we need for 3 years. I can't see us doing well buying three of them in a single transfer window.

It's longer than that actually. Berbatov left 4 years ago now.

I'd be happy with Ade on a permanent as Berbs' replacement. We desperately need a second #9 as well though.

I put JD in the same frame as Jenas, neither has quite come off for us, if you play JD in a 4-4-2 there is no doubt he will score you 20 goals a season but imo his overall game is poor, one thing I have noticed with Defoe is that the poor bugger gets knocked all over the place because he is small but never seems to win us free kicks, I think he has to leave for his own good and if he does I wish him well.

Jenas and Defoe have a lot more in common than a shared name. To me they are the last remnants of bad old 1990s Tottenham. All talk and no trousers. Unintelligent graft and poor technique. Soft centred.

Can not say i blame him, he is a top striker but no longer suits the way we play. If he does leave he will score goals wherever he plays.

hahaha Ade back to City, Defoe wants to get away, and Saha is out of contract too i think, we will have no strikers this summer

brilliant work messrs Levy and Redknapp=D>

Get your facts straight before slagging people off. Conjecture has a way of making fools out of people...

He is our highest goal scorer and he tends to score his goals playing alongside a bigger man, simples

We have not scored enough goals,

He is our highest goal scorer

Statistically we have a much better record when he plays.

IMO had he had more playing time, we would have 3rd wrapped up - for all his supposed faults.

Really.....jeez

I must say, I can understand Jermaine's frustration. I think Harry's been unfair to him this season, in terms of not using him as much as his performances have warranted.

We did well earlier in the season when he started up top alongside Ade:

2-0 against Wolves
4-0 against Liverpool
2-1 against Arsenal
3-1 against West Brom
3-0 against Bolton
1-0 against West Brom

Scored in all but the Arsenal game.

I do like VDV and Ade up top in general, but definitely think he could have been brought on earlier at times or started more against weaker teams.

Funny how we do better when he plays. Does Harry not realise, not playing him has not worked?

He has played in nearly all our best results all the wins against other top 4 teams. [ in the last 3 years ]

He has every right to be frustrated, he scores more than all the other players and we do better when he plays.

If we'd been winning and ADE and VdV had been scoring freely and that formation had been bring success then ok , he can't complain.

It hasn't ,we are in relegation form, so it's seems bizzarre thet he is not getting much of a look in.

Not bringing him on against Villa could prove to be the single worst substitution decision in the clubs history, certainly the most expensive.

Harry should at the very least have put him on with 8 or 10 mins left and just said " go and get me a goal, don't worry about anything else , just go and fu cking score.

It would have worked IMO, certainly would have stood more Chang, than bringing the " prolific scorer Parker on and pushing Gallas forward.

The odds of JD scoring or creating a goal in those circumstances would have been at least 50/50.

Last edited:
And that is the problem, Saha, Nelsen, Pianaar etc.

I don't think you're being rational personally. Nelsen and Saha were brought in because number one targets weren't achieved. E.g. Nelsen in because we needed centre half cover, because we failed to sign number one target Gary Cahill.

Back