• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Defoe will also be in his 30s shortly, so really we need to sell now or we'll have no return on him. That type of player doesn't really have a long shelf life, unlike more skillful or powerful players. Both Lineker and Owen didn't have much of a career past 30 when their acceleration started to wane like Defoe's is doing.

He doesn't really play enough for you to know this.

Defoe will also be in his 30s shortly, so really we need to sell now or we'll have no return on him. That type of player doesn't really have a long shelf life, unlike more skillful or powerful players. Both Lineker and Owen didn't have much of a career past 30 when their acceleration started to wane like Defoe's is doing.

Seriously, how do you reach these conclusions? Do you just pluck them out of thin air?! Lineker was so on the wane that he scored 28 goals in 35 matches in a very brick Spurs side in his last season with us, before decided to take one last pay day in Japan (where his broken toe ended his career). I wish we had a waning Lineker now!!!

I don't know where Defoe will end up when he leaves us, whether it is this summer or in another transfer window. What I do know though is that at the first sign of us having a poor run of form or our strikers drying up, there will be a thread on here about how we should not have let him go or how he was treated badly by Redknapp.

I don't see Defoe as good enough to start for us on a regular basis, but he is a brilliant option to have on the bench and even start against some oppositions when we need something different. Unfortunately I can't imagine him wanting to stay next season, Harry seem to have lost all faith in him and it's hard to blame him if he decides to leave. Defoe has been way better this year than last, not sure what has happened with his rapic decrease of playing time lately.

I don't know where Defoe will end up when he leaves us, whether it is this summer or in another transfer window. What I do know though is that at the first sign of us having a poor run of form or our strikers drying up, there will be a thread on here about how we should not have let him go or how he was treated badly by Redknapp.

If we keep our current strike force and Defoe moves where he has a decent manager - he will thrive and score for fun and Harry will look a tad stupid, especially if we don't get into the CL , when you consider he did not bring on his top scorer when we needed a goal.

Defoe is a dying bread of striker at the moment. He is in the mould of Lineker and owen before him. With more teams playing false 9's the ephasis these days is on players being able to do more with the ball that just hit the target. With lots of teams becoming more defensive in set up the strikers need to be able to hold the ball up or have some workrate or skill to retain possesion or hassle the opposition. You just done see many strikers now that have just one major skill.

I JD, but he needs to play in a 4-4-2 which is a formation out of vogue at the moment. He will always get goals, no matter where he plays. But when he plays against the top teams he just gets shut out.

I wish !

I don't think we should sell him. Saha will either be gone or plagued by injury, we might not get Ade. That would leave us with only VdV and we would need 3 new strikers. Who could we bring in that would be an upgrade on Defoe for what we sell him for?

If we keep our current strike force and Defoe moves where he has a decent manager - he will thrive and score for fun and Harry will look a tad stupid, especially if we don't get into the CL , when you consider he did not bring on his top scorer when we needed a goal.

No he won't. I like Defoe and hope he remains at the club as a squad player, but he isn't top drawer. Defoe may well go to a club that sits deep, because they aren't good enough in possession, and hit teams on the break. That may well give Defoe more opportunity to run onto the ball than he gets at Spurs, and therefore have more clear cut chances. But if Defoe went to a top team, and defences sat deep against that team, then Defoe would have the exact problem he has here.

Basically, as strange as it sounds, ordinary forwards often score more in ordinary teams, than they would if they played for a top team.

Have to agree with this, play him alongside a big man and he will score goals. Unfortunately for Defoe we do not play that way anymore

in an ideal world : pitch to Wigan for Moses + 5m

dont care where he goes, will be glad to see him finally go

I don't think we should sell him. Saha will either be gone or plagued by injury, we might not get Ade. That would leave us with only VdV and we would need 3 new strikers. Who could we bring in that would be an upgrade on Defoe for what we sell him for?

More fool Defoe if he does not insist on a move

Unbelievably , he has never been really been given a chance, other players can come in and not score for 10 games play, crap, yet they are not dropped. Defoe never gets 4 games in a row, no matter if he is playing well and or scoring.

He played a fair bit in the first half of the season . lately he has barely got a look in.

A coincidence that we are showing relegation form and have nearly fecked up our chances of getting into the CL?

We have been short of goals, he is our top scorer mins per goals. Something wrong somewhere.

He would do best in a passing team, where they play it on the ground.

Real shame that Harry has forced out a true Spurs legend and him not playing him has not even worked.

Defoe must be gutted Harry is staying.

Defoe will do very well in a team that is built around him but he is unlikely to find a team challenging for a place in the Champions League that is prepared to do that. If Defoe is happy to be a squad player, then we should keep him. If he is not, then he will find himself at a club like Everton, Villa or Sunderland and will probably do very well there.

Defoe not starting games is because he does not fit into our preferred formation. If we start with Defoe, we need to play 4-4-2 which means that we need to drop one of VdV or Lennon.

Back