• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting.

Would you mind expanding a bit on your reasoning behind this?

just comes across too old school for me, not so much in a tactical sense but in an authoritarian sense - im not sure that it'll fly with us - the rigid structures and so on. also am often wary with these big name managers whose careers have mainly been involved at the biggest clubs in each league (Barca, Ajax, Bayern etc) i know he done well with AZ but he's Dutch and can probably command a lot of respect in his home country - both from the players/chairman and the media - Im not sure he'd get that here.

just comes across too old school for me, not so much in a tactical sense but in an authoritarian sense - im not sure that it'll fly with us - the rigid structures and so on. also am often wary with these big name managers whose careers have mainly been involved at the biggest clubs in each league (Barca, Ajax, Bayern etc) i know he done well with AZ but he's Dutch and can probably command a lot of respect in his home country - both from the players/chairman and the media - Im not sure he'd get that here.

I keep coming back to mentality these days it seems, but I really think it's an area where we've been lacking for ages now.

to some extent I feel we need a bit of an upheaval in regards to attitude and mentality. More professionalism, a top to bottom look at how we can look to get just a little bit better every day. And I think someone that's been at Barca, Ajax and Bayern are in a good position to spot some of the areas where we have room for improvement.

To some extent I think Ramos had it right when it came to fitness and nutrition, although his implementation didn't work. I think a somewhat authoritarian approach from someone as obviously strong as LvG might be exactly what we need, even if it ****es some players off in the process.

Of course he's not a sure thing and of course there's a risk, it could go completely wrong. But failure really is always an option.

Personally i think LvG at Spurs is a disaster waiting to happen.

Not dismissing his ability or career just don't think it's a good fit for each other

Because he's a winner and we have a culture of mediocracy?

He's exactly what we need - a kick up the ****, a culture change, resiliance. And we have a submissive, young, versatile squad totally ripe for his direction.

He's exactly what we need - a kick up the ****, a culture change, resiliance. And we have a submissive, young, versatile squad totally ripe for his direction.

Yes but then what? He can only deal with young players and falls out with everyone after a season or 2.
LVG would be stopgap.

A stopgap that would probably fall out with everyone and would mean we have to make huge player changes.

Who would you suggest we could get that couldn't be described as a huge gamble?

Still hoping Atletico finish above Real and Ancelotti ends up looking for a new job in the summer.
Levy had him lined up to take over from Redknapp before be joined PSG.

But I'm happy enough with Sherwood keeping us ticking over in 5th or 6th attempting to play good football and build something for the future with young players.

Yes but then what? He can only deal with young players and falls out with everyone after a season or 2.
LVG would be stopgap.

A stopgap that would probably fall out with everyone and would mean we have to make huge player changes.

He spent 9 years at Ajax, 3 at Barca and 4 at AZ. He establishes whole systems where players are schooled in his methods. There's nothing remotely short-termist about his approach.

In fact he's the perfect manager for coping with selling our biggest player off annually and replacing them with two just as good. He's the ideal manager for the stadium-building austerity period that we've got coming up,

i had a feeling you'd side step my question, maybe it appeared rude?

no biggie, i have the response i knew i would get anyhow

i've been thinking of some of the things you've said in the past

i think you're more in love with the idea of continental football or technical emphasis more than the knowlegde you have of it

take some of the people you've claimed were the next potential world class players

are you able to name 5 guys you have said in the past that would be top class and potentially world class that didnt work out that way?

Go on then, more than 5: Arshavin, Dos Santos, Julio Baptista, Artem Milevskiy, Vedad Ibisevic, Miguel Veloso, Florin Raducioiu, Darren Caskey, Ben Bowditch, Giles Barnes and Carlton Cole (I was blown away by him playing for Chelsea youth).

All turned out ****e in the end.

Eastern Europeans are my particular weakness as I loved the Yugoslav, Romanian and Bulgarian teams of the early 90s.

personally i think we need somebody who wil command respect but not in a authoritarian way. Ramos treated us like the army and the players didnt like it. I think FDB would be perfect - old players would have no choice to respect him for what hes done in the game and young players (helilovic anyone?) will be excited to come to the club with the impression hes here for the long haul and will develop us from youth all the way to first team. id give gim a 5 year contract and let his do his thing.

I think LVG although has the ability to set up foundations I question at his age if he has the energy and time.

What makes FDB more likely to succeed than AVB? A young coach who earned his reputation working at a club which is not in the top 5 major European leagues. A league in which his club has predominantly been one of the top, top sides and a club which has European pedigree. Is it any different from a manager succeeding at Celtic, even during the Celtic & Rangers years?

I've heard a lot of good things about him, including his he turned Ajax back around, but I had also heard a lot of good about AVB before he joined Chelsea.

So what's the difference? And I discount reputation & past playing career as that doesn't always equate to success.

Go on then, more than 5: Arshavin, Dos Santos, Julio Baptista, Artem Milevskiy, Vedad Ibisevic, Miguel Veloso, Florin Raducioiu, Darren Caskey, Ben Bowditch, Giles Barnes and Carlton Cole (I was blown away by him playing for Chelsea youth).

All turned out ****e in the end.

Eastern Europeans are my particular weakness as I loved the Yugoslav, Romanian and Bulgarian teams of the early 90s.
arent you in your mid to late 20s??how did you watch those sides, its not as if their football was readily available on tv.......

What makes FDB more likely to succeed than AVB? A young coach who earned his reputation working at a club which is not in the top 5 major European leagues. A league in which his club has predominantly been one of the top, top sides and a club which has European pedigree. Is it any different from a manager succeeding at Celtic, even during the Celtic & Rangers years?

I've heard a lot of good things about him, including his he turned Ajax back around, but I had also heard a lot of good about AVB before he joined Chelsea.

So what's the difference? And I discount reputation & past playing career as that doesn't always equate to success.

I'd answer this by saying that it does come down to the mans playing career. How can you discount something that can provide so much experience? Whilst his experiences as a manager are limited to just Ajax and his time assisting the national team, his playing career was something that can only be applauded. Even as a player he would've picked up plenty of knowledge that he can now use as a coach. The man understands the nature of the top leagues, competitions and top clubs, having played in/for them. You don't learn how to deal with all those pressures doing your coaching badges, they are taught by life experiences. The same way that we see how TS knows how to handle the media, it comes from his experiences as a pundit, whereas AVB was still new to that side of things.

AVB had his coaching badges, but prior to Chelsea he had no experience of the top leagues. That is where I see the differences. I'm not saying that only players can be coaches, but what I am saying is that you don't have to do all your learning as a coach. It's a learning curve and all coaches get there one way or another, some have a head start on others due to their previous experiences and for me that sums FDB up. He has learnt a lot about the game prior to coaching.

This does not mean he will succeed where AVB failed, but it does mean that he brings something different to the job. We heard this week how Ade questionned AVB's methods as they were not like anything at the top clubs, AVB's reaction was to pack Ade off to the reserves which causes fractures in the group. With someone like FDB Ade would be less likely to say something because he would already respect the man. This isn't AVB's problem it's a player problem, but a coach needs every advantage he can get.

arent you in your mid to late 20s??how did you watch those sides, its not as if their football was readily available on tv.......

No, a bit older than that (I've been on GG since its early days in the late 90s)

All European football (all three competitions) use to be on terrestrial tv then, so I use to watch teams like that Red Star Belgrade side with Prosinecki, Mihajlovic, Savicevic, Panchev; and other players around at the time like Boban, Boksic, Suker, Mijatovic, Stoichkov, Hagi. A lot of them ended up in Serie A, which was then broadcast on Channel 4. Romania and Bulgaria national teams did well internationally too (I reckon Yugoslavia would have won the Euro 92 if they'd've competed).

We heard this week how Ade questionned AVB's methods as they were not like anything at the top clubs, AVB's reaction was to pack Ade off to the reserves which causes fractures in the group. With someone like FDB Ade would be less likely to say something because he would already respect the man. This isn't AVB's problem it's a player problem, but a coach needs every advantage he can get.

Or maybe it's a Levy problem for not making sure the only real troublemaker in our squad was gone/replaced.

I keep coming back to mentality these days it seems, but I really think it's an area where we've been lacking for ages now.

to some extent I feel we need a bit of an upheaval in regards to attitude and mentality. More professionalism, a top to bottom look at how we can look to get just a little bit better every day. And I think someone that's been at Barca, Ajax and Bayern are in a good position to spot some of the areas where we have room for improvement.

To some extent I think Ramos had it right when it came to fitness and nutrition, although his implementation didn't work. I think a somewhat authoritarian approach from someone as obviously strong as LvG might be exactly what we need, even if it ****es some players off in the process.

Of course he's not a sure thing and of course there's a risk, it could go completely wrong. But failure really is always an option.

You are right in that we need an attitude change - and have done for as long as i can remember really, im just worried that LvG will be too much of a change in that direction and if it doesn't come with on the field success (good football serious challenge for 4th) then i can see it falling apart. It's more gut feeling than anything though tbf

No, a bit older than that (I've been on GG since its early days in the late 90s)

All European football (all three competitions) use to be on terrestrial tv then, so I use to watch teams like that Red Star Belgrade side with Prosinecki, Mihajlovic, Savicevic, Panchev; and other players around at the time like Boban, Boksic, Suker, Mijatovic, Stoichkov, Hagi. A lot of them ended up in Serie A, which was then broadcast on Channel 4. Romania and Bulgaria national teams did well internationally too (I reckon Yugoslavia would have won the Euro 92 if they'd've competed).
good stuff, yeah it was when Gazza moved to Lazio that C4 started covering Italian football iirc and there were plenty of nationalities on show. It was a great time to watch Italian football

You are right in that we need an attitude change - and have done for as long as i can remember really, im just worried that LvG will be too much of a change in that direction and if it doesn't come with on the field success (good football serious challenge for 4th) then i can see it falling apart. It's more gut feeling than anything though tbf

I'm worried that the press here might treat him like they did Scolari unless he really hit the ground running.

Back