• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Which the Manager couldn't handle?

pretty much. happens to the best of them...Jol and quite possibly Redknapp. doesnt mean they are 'that bad' at being managers. it shouldnt be used against them if they have a vision and their players cant carry it out

having said that, the best , managers can overcome these things.

A training ground exercise essentially, 3 shots in 180 mins and 3 goals. Barca hitting the woodwork numerous times and their opposition showing literally zero ambition as a football team. It was more than defensive.

Therefore I can't see how it reflects poorly on AVB.

how would it work in our favour that Cheslea give the job to RDM, a man who has defeated Barca, led Chelsea to the CL final, and to an FA cup final after destroying Spurs

bit fcuking arrogant of you dont you think?

Because if they don't give it to him it means they'll be in the market for a new Manager the same time we are.

Di Matteo is doing a short term job.
AVB had to rebuild the squad.

2 completely different tasks and AVB's was way harder.

A training ground exercise essentially, 3 shots in 180 mins and 3 goals. Barca hitting the woodwork numerous times and their opposition showing literally zero ambition as a football team. It was more than defensive.

Therefore I can't see how it reflects poorly on AVB.

Not just talking about this game, but generally. Their record since he took over has been amazing. But even then, to go down to 10 men and get TWO goals against Barca and you don't think that's an achievement?! Just wow!

Considering he came from there, it's amazing he was the wrong man and didn't understand the culture.

Also credit to Di Matteo. Hopefully Chelsea will give him the job. One less club for Spurs to compete against in the Management merry go round.......

Its a fair point - he should certainly have known better.

He was the wrong man because he didnt have the gravitas to deal with those players.

The wrong club for basically the same reason, they werent prepared to accept his way of management.

And he made some very bad decisions in his time there, not least the power plays that ultimately saw him finished.

I do believe he could prove to be a very good manager, but he certainly didnt shower himself in glory with this appointment.

di Matteo did a very good job at MK and then WBA, I think he was harshly critisised when he took over.

That said, I also think he has simply given the players what they want - not the greatest endorsement IMO

Which the Manager couldn't handle?

No manager could handle the backroom issues at Chelsea, don't matter who it is. If you upset Terry, Lampard, Cole et al the writing is on the wall for any manager. It's all a happy camp because DiMatteo was already popular with them guys and is playing the old guard(quite rightly by the looks of things).

As for AVB, his situation is parallel to Torres for me. Chelsea was the wrong club for his footballing ideas as he had the wrong type of players hence why he tried to oust the older players and draft in the likes of our very own Modric. I've a lot of confidence in his ideas being a better fit for Spurs, and Torres being a better striker at Spurs.

Doubt either of those will happen mind....

I think RDM maybe stitched up AVB as his assistant. AVB wasnt able to bring his own assistant from Porto, and most successful managers rely on a good right hand man on whom they implicitly trust

Just like RDM has now with Eddie Newton. They go back a long way. Good partnership, it works it seems

No manager could handle the backroom issues at Chelsea, don't matter who it is. If you upset Terry, Lampard, Cole et al the writing is on the wall for any manager. It's all a happy camp because DiMatteo was already popular with them guys and is playing the old guard(quite rightly by the looks of things).

As for AVB, his situation is parallel to Torres for me. Chelsea was the wrong club for his footballing ideas as he had the wrong type of players hence why he tried to oust the older players and draft in the likes of our very own Modric. I've a lot of confidence in his ideas being a better fit for Spurs, and Torres being a better striker at Spurs.

Doubt either of those will happen mind....

Except Di Matteo?

Except Di Matteo?

no, its called the dead cat bounce. something i'm certain you're aware off. a change of face sometimes bring the whole back room up a few levels....people pull together more for the new guy, players fight more for their places cause they sense a fresh start....factors in those situations are endless

Not just talking about this game, but generally. Their record since he took over has been amazing. But even then, to go down to 10 men and get TWO goals against Barca and you don't think that's an achievement?! Just wow!

We were talking about the right man for the right job earlier - I think RDM has just been the right man for what Chelsea needed in that moment. I don't think he has done anything special at all...but maybe his cleverness has been in delegating power to the players. RDM's job hasn't been to rebuild the club, it has simply been to play the players in a way they wanted to be played. He isn't going to be the one to replace them so they play for him like they didn't for AVB. He isn't implementing a new style of play, he is just letting them play as they thought they should be playing. He's the right man - a 'passive' character to get one final push out of influential players.

But he's also been extremely lucky. They didn't deserve to beat Wigan. They didn't deserve to beat us in the league. They needed a ghost goal to swing the cup tie in their favour. Other than that, he's had an easy run of fixtures in the league and hasn't pulled up any trees in the more difficult ones.

Then it's come to Barca and they've had 3 shots over 2 legs and scored them all. Amazing luck. A training ground exercise and they kept them out. Fair enough. But I don't think it proves anything one way or the other. Here's hoping Real smash them. But maybe it will be ok if Chelsea win...at least we can say we didn't need to finish 4th anyway. :)

no, its called the dead cat bounce. something i'm certain you're aware off. a change of face sometimes bring the whole back room up a few levels....people pull together more for the new guy, players fight more for their places cause they sense a fresh start....factors in those situations are endless

Maybe, but for a short term Manager? I don't think so. I basically think Di Matteo went back to basics. Plus he has done something AVB never did. He trusts the players and more importantly believes in the players.

AVB was perfection at Chelsea. He may go on and rebuild his career elsewhere, but at Chelsea he was perfection. And to think people were making fun of me over the last few weeks when I said Chelsea are probably the best team in the Premiership. I still believe it too.

shame Levy hasnt applied the dead cat bounce

We were talking about the right man for the right job earlier - I think RDM has just been the right man for what Chelsea needed in that moment. I don't think he has done anything special at all...but maybe his cleverness has been in delegating power to the players. RDM's job hasn't been to rebuild the club, it has simply been to play the players in a way they wanted to be played. He isn't going to be the one to replace them so they play for him like they didn't for AVB. He isn't implementing a new style of play, he is just letting them play as they thought they should be playing. He's the right man - a 'passive' character to get one final push out of influential players.

But he's also been extremely lucky. They didn't deserve to beat Wigan. They didn't deserve to beat us in the league. They needed a ghost goal to swing the cup tie in their favour. Other than that, he's had an easy run of fixtures in the league and hasn't pulled up any trees in the more difficult ones.

Then it's come to Barca and they've had 3 shots over 2 legs and scored them all. Amazing luck. A training ground exercise and they kept them out. Fair enough. But I don't think it proves anything one way or the other. Here's hoping Real smash them. But maybe it will be ok if Chelsea win...at least we can say we didn't need to finish 4th anyway. :)

oh they are playing differently. Number one they are much stronger defensively, more organised, the free flowing football has disappeared, they are not gung ho, it looks like they have practiced on the training ground some rigid patterns of play. They are very Italian now

Back