• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Isn't the issue about quality over time and differentiating that from the flash-in-the-pans?

In that regard, I wouldn't say either AVB or Rodgers supporters have much to brag about.

Us Martinez folk do though...he did extremely well at Swansea and may well have been largely responsible for Rodgers subsequent success there, and he followed that up straight away by keeping one of the worst supported PL teams in years in the league on shoestring budgets and half empty stands for Tier 1 matches. While playing decent enough football.

As we discussed the other day BOL, I dont subscribe to the "it wasnt his fault" attitude to his time at Chelsea. He made mistakes of his own as well. Also, as discussed, I do agree he stands a better chance of succeeding with us than with them for a number of reasons (some as you have stated).Im not anti AVB at all, Im just not entirely sold on him.Last summer I was quite in favour of letting Harry go for him, I was so impressed. That impression has however taken a dent after his time at Chelsea.I think he has a lot to offer, I also think he has a lot to learn (and hopefully this season has taught him a few lessons).

Last summer AVB was hot property, so much so that we would never have stood a chance of getting him as a manager. But as his stock is so low these days maybe this can be looked on as an opportunity to get a guy that was out of our reach just one season ago. Yes his reputation is tarnished, but lets face it we're not at the top table yet and must take a gamble every now and then on managers and players.

AVB is a young man in managerial terms and will make mistakes. Who knows what really happened at Chelsea but considering they are team full of ****s maybe they just behaved like ****s.

Ancellotii would be still top of my list, with AVB next, followed by a Martinez/Rodgers dream team in third.

Order of choice for me goes

Mourinho (might as well dream)
Ancelloti (see above)
Capello
Martinez
Hiddink
Benitez
AVB
Rikjaard

I think we have to take a gamble too, and I also think it's important to look at what the club needs, and get a man suited to that. What has gone on before isn't that important as long as they have the skills to do what we needed doing. Obviously it isn't important in some way, but it needs to be look at on it's individual basis. Is AVB suddenly a bad manager? Not really, there are reasons why it didn't work at Chelsea.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine did that with Pardew. They sacked Hughton and everyone thought they were mad. They brought in Pardew and everyone thought they were madder still. He'd been decent at Reading, average at West Ham and below average at Southampton. But we didn't know what Saudi Sportswashing Machine wanted. They did, they knew they wanted Pardew, they knew how they wanted to build their team and they knew the skills they needed to make that happen. It's working out for them.

It's for that reason that I think AVB will be good for us. We are never going to be able to build a squad that is on a par with United and City, until the FFP regulations have had a good few years to kick in and even out the playing field or until we get a sugar daddy of our own. Therefore what we need is someone that can implement a style and a system that makes the team play to a level beyond what it would usually be capable of. Harry was good for making our good squad play at the level it 'should' be playing at, and if we had the funds to let him sign anyone he wanted, I'd keep him because I think he'd do a great job. But we don't. AVB got a Porto team winning the treble and going undefeated while doing it. That's what we need. He implements a system that means the players perform above their station, rather than simply letting the players play to their station. The barriers to success at Chelsea shouldn't be apparent at our club.

So I think AVB would be very good for us. And if that's not possible, Martinez and Rodgers should be given serious consideration. Ahead of the likes of Ancellotti, Capello etc. Martinez has done a fantastic job with Wigan, and has made them play a style of football that should be beyond their capability. Same with Rodgers. Watching them at Bolton I was jealous - I've forgotten what it's like to watch a Spurs game and see us penetrate a defence like they did, and I certainly can't see it happening when we go up there.

Ancellotti and Capello fall into the Harry mould (don't laugh) in that I feel they can handle big name players and will manage them to the level they should be playing to, but their skill isn't getting players to play beyond. I don't think we should be looking at titles won and say 'well he's a winner, he'd probably do that for us', because every circumstance is different, and every job is different. Harry was perfect for us when he came, because we had a good squad (at least too good to be fighting relegation) and he got us performing to where we should be. But now, if we are going to compete with the clubs with all the money, we need to play beyond our capability so that we can be up there with them. AVB would be the front runner to acheiving that IMO.

I think we have to take a gamble too, and I also think it's important to look at what the club needs, and get a man suited to that. What has gone on before isn't that important as long as they have the skills to do what we needed doing. Obviously it isn't important in some way, but it needs to be look at on it's individual basis. Is AVB suddenly a bad manager? Not really, there are reasons why it didn't work at Chelsea.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine did that with Pardew. They sacked Hughton and everyone thought they were mad. They brought in Pardew and everyone thought they were madder still. He'd been decent at Reading, average at West Ham and below average at Southampton. But we didn't know what Saudi Sportswashing Machine wanted. They did, they knew they wanted Pardew, they knew how they wanted to build their team and they knew the skills they needed to make that happen. It's working out for them.

It's for that reason that I think AVB will be good for us. We are never going to be able to build a squad that is on a par with United and City, until the FFP regulations have had a good few years to kick in and even out the playing field or until we get a sugar daddy of our own. Therefore what we need is someone that can implement a style and a system that makes the team play to a level beyond what it would usually be capable of. Harry was good for making our good squad play at the level it 'should' be playing at, and if we had the funds to let him sign anyone he wanted, I'd keep him because I think he'd do a great job. But we don't. AVB got a Porto team winning the treble and going undefeated while doing it. That's what we need. He implements a system that means the players perform above their station, rather than simply letting the players play to their station. The barriers to success at Chelsea shouldn't be apparent at our club.

So I think AVB would be very good for us. And if that's not possible, Martinez and Rodgers should be given serious consideration. Ahead of the likes of Ancellotti, Capello etc. Martinez has done a fantastic job with Wigan, and has made them play a style of football that should be beyond their capability. Same with Rodgers. Watching them at Bolton I was jealous - I've forgotten what it's like to watch a Spurs game and see us penetrate a defence like they did, and I certainly can't see it happening when we go up there.

Ancellotti and Capello fall into the Harry mould (don't laugh) in that I feel they can handle big name players and will manage them to the level they should be playing to, but their skill isn't getting players to play beyond. I don't think we should be looking at titles won and say 'well he's a winner, he'd probably do that for us', because every circumstance is different, and every job is different. Harry was perfect for us when he came, because we had a good squad (at least too good to be fighting relegation) and he got us performing to where we should be. But now, if we are going to compete with the clubs with all the money, we need to play beyond our capability so that we can be up there with them. AVB would be the front runner to acheiving that IMO.

Excellent post.

The one thing that you do get with the likes of Ancellotti and Capello is the significantly increased exposure for the club that these managers bring. That and the added draw to potential transfer targets that comes with having a big name manager. That aside you do indeed have to look at what is the next best step for the club, and trying to lure superstars to the club might not be the right thing now. To be honest I don't know what is the right thing but maybe the brain of Levy does (the real one...not you ;) ).

Isn't the issue about quality over time and differentiating that from the flash-in-the-pans?

In that regard, I wouldn't say either AVB or Rodgers supporters have much to brag about.

Us Martinez folk do though...he did extremely well at Swansea and may well have been largely responsible for Rodgers subsequent success there, and he followed that up straight away by keeping one of the worst supported PL teams in years in the league on shoestring budgets and half empty stands for Tier 1 matches. While playing decent enough football.

"Us Martinez folk"? Have you started a fan club? lol

Quite honestly I would be happy with either of the three. I really like the idea of a fresh young manager with modern ideas and phylosphies.

I like Martinez, have big respect for him and am impressed very much with him on a personal level.

I should ask though, were you an advocate of his before the run Wigan have been on? Obviously it has effected his profile a great deal.

Personal preference for me is Rodgers, but I certainly wouldnt be disappointed with Martinez or AVB

Excellent post, agree with almost every word.

I stated a week or so ago that we should appoint the man, not the cv. And I think you just nailed what I meant by that.

I have to say a punt on Rodgers would not be a bad move. He has managed to get Swansea playing fantastic possession football with an average squad, just imagine if he could drill that type of style into the current squad and then throw in the mix the extra transfer funds he'd have to play with.

I would have two concerns however, the first being how would he deal with the personalities associated with top 6 clubs and getting the necessary work rate and commitment out of those player's, and secondly his possible lack of scouting knowledge on the type of player level we should be looking at to maintain forward momentum.

If you put Rodgers in charge with a quality European scout or DOF then it could potentially work out well for Tottenham.

The players would need to buy into Rodgers ideal (same as the others mentioned as well). If they didnt it would be a disaster, if they did it would be brilliant.

He often credits the fact that the Swansea players listened to what he had to say and believed in his vision, and credits them for achieving what they have rather than takes credit himself.

I should ask though, were you an advocate of his before the run Wigan have been on? Obviously it has effected his profile a great deal.

The honest answer is that I hadn't thought about the new manager until the last month or so, and then suddenly three events - Spurs imploding, the Spurs job coming up and Wigan going on a run - all happened around the same time. So it's all kind of bundled up into the same time frame for me. And actually, my first post about Martinez since all this happened was saying Villa should nab him...until it dawned on me that maybe we should!

But whatever, like you I prefer a gamble on a young man with energy and ideas - Marty, AVB or Rodgers - rather than the generation of Capello or LvG (Ancelotti excepted who I think is a great fit for Spurs).

Despite his obvious success with Everton I cant help thinking Moyes would be a disaster at Spurs. GRaham MKII.

The fans would never take to his style at all, and he would be a dead man walking from the first dour display.

I have no doubt he could do a solid job with us, but I do doubt his ability to reach the levels we aspire to (and in the way we like to do it)

I also doubt his nous in the transfer market, he doesnt do big buys well at all.

All in all I think he would make us solid, industrious, boring, negative and probably overly physical. He just wouldnt last.

The honest answer is that I hadn't thought about the new manager until the last month or so, and then suddenly three events - Spurs imploding, the Spurs job coming up and Wigan going on a run - all happened around the same time. So it's all kind of bundled up into the same time frame for me. And actually, my first post about Martinez since all this happened was saying Villa should nab him...until it dawned on me that maybe we should!

But whatever, like you I prefer a gamble on a young man with energy and ideas - Marty, AVB or Rodgers - rather than the generation of Capello or LvG (Ancelotti excepted who I think is a great fit for Spurs).

Fair enough mate. Like you Ive always admired Martinez but (for whatever reason) had never considered him as a Spurs manager. Snobbery perhaps?

Either way though I would be open to it now

I don't think Moyes would be a disaster, I just don't think he'd do anything particularly ground breaking and we'd be hovering between 5th-7th with maybe the odd shot at 4th, all whilst playing pretty dour football. Also his Everton sides tend to only start playing after January, he won't get away with that here.

I don't think Moyes would be a disaster, I just don't think he'd do anything particularly ground breaking and we'd be hovering between 5th-7th with maybe the odd shot at 4th, all whilst playing pretty dour football. Also his Everton sides tend to only start playing after January, he won't get away with that here.

Exactly my point, he wouldnt last, wouldnt be accepted.

I have to say a punt on Rodgers would not be a bad move. He has managed to get Swansea playing fantastic possession football with an average squad, just imagine if he could drill that type of style into the current squad and then throw in the mix the extra transfer funds he'd have to play with.

I would have two concerns however, the first being how would he deal with the personalities associated with top 6 clubs and getting the necessary work rate and commitment out of those player's, and secondly his possible lack of scouting knowledge on the type of player level we should be looking at to maintain forward momentum.

If you put Rodgers in charge with a quality European scout or DOF then it could potentially work out well for Tottenham.

I think Rodgers was quotes recently as saying he is aware of/knows out/scouts find so many players that would fit into the Swansea style, but then it comes down to affordability and that's when they make the decisions. It sounds like he has some decent scouting set up that could be brought here. I also don't think the players would have trouble buying into his philosophy. Say we poached him after his spell at Reading, for example, then maybe. But now he has demonstrated that they can work.

That said, AVB must also have a very decent scouting network, considering he was one himself he will know the importance of doing it well. We definitely will need to draw on an extensive network, we won't be able to rely on Harry's 'experienced and ready now' signings (not that they are a bad thing) if we are going to attempt to mould the squad into playing a system that makes them perform as greater than the individual parts.

I must admit, on Martinez, I always quite liked him but until Wigan's good form I was more in the Rodgers camp. Then thinking about it more I've gone for AVB as my first choice. But Martinez talks about the game in such a way, and has his team play in such a way, that I can't see why he wouldn't be a success at Spurs.

The players would need to buy into Rodgers ideal (same as the others mentioned as well). If they didnt it would be a disaster, if they did it would be brilliant.

He often credits the fact that the Swansea players listened to what he had to say and believed in his vision, and credits them for achieving what they have rather than takes credit himself.

This is the problem. A manager like Rodgers, Martinez or AVB who are tied to playing a certain system need their players to buy into it. That's why AVB failed at Chelsea.

Bielsa at Bilboa similarly he gets his young players to run all game pressing all over the pitch. If he turned up at Chelsea for instance he's gonna get the likes of Lampard and his chums to run around pressing all game.
I think its pretty much what happened to Hodgson at Liverpool too.

I think we have to get the right manager that fits our current squad of players. Or else get in the manager we want and get a squad that will work with him properly. That would take years. I don't think an unsuccessful manager would last that long here after the highs we've had this season.

Back