• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
if im 12 you must still be at playschool

you couldnt wait to start this thread, couldnt wait to tell us all that AVB is a fcuk up as a manager

"AVB for Spurs?
fudge off basically!! How on earth was this Chelsea team struggling?!! Could work in our favour too, because surely Di Matteo has to be given the job full time now? As for AVB? Talk about stock plummeted....."

sad indeed

Same question to you. Who performed better this season, AVB or Redknapp?

Incase anybody missed it, we have some revised forum rules at the top of the page.

There is a line about "play the ball, not the man".

I'd suggest one or two of you take heed, rather quickly.

Same question to you. Who performed better this season, AVB or Redknapp?

only in your mind is the that question and the answer to it important

But to make you happy, so you rest easy tonight, I will say that Redknapp outperformed AVB whilst AVB was still here. However since AVB left, Redknapp has been no better than even Terry Connor

Very rarely agree with Moonlit but with regards to AVB I do. Gets a ton of leeway because he's foreign and talks a good game, oh and dresses well.

Very rarely agree with Moonlit but with regards to AVB I do. Gets a ton of leeway because he's foreign and talks a good game, oh and dresses well.

you think? im not impressed with the raincoat tied tightly at the waist with the belt

the constant crouching is OTT too

MK - thanks, for fighting that particular battle, as it is a thought process along the lines that I have covered before. Particularly heartwarming was the way that the 2 you were dealing with had not one line of argument that made any sense, was backed up by anything tangible and made the pair of them look like schoolboys arguing with a teacher.

A good read, as they say.

you hater you.......

I'm grateful for Redknapp. Worst case scenario now is that we'll finish 6th. So in his tenure

First Season - 8th (after 2pts from 8 games) with a pts per game ratio that would have been good enough for 6th (and only 1pt behind 5th).
Second Season - 4th
Third Season - 5th
Fourth Season - 4th to 6th.

That makes him our most consistant manager since Bill Nick. However it ends, no one can say Redknapp was a failure at Spurs. We were down in the dumps for over a decade. Jol dragged us out of it and under him we started to get some self respect. Under Redknapp we got that self respect back completely and for a period of time people were waxing lyrical about our performances and style of play. And yet people turn on him so easily after a run of 15 or so bad results? It's a fudging disgrace. They'll take the glory but won't support the team during any downswings? Pathetic plastic fans at their worst.

What's funny is this is the same lot who will claim they will take Martinez/Rodgers/etc. and give them time to rebuild a new team ...

Not often I agree with you, but for me Redknapp has to finish the season before I judge, and even then, is 6th worth firing a manager for at Spurs?

Not sure re the AVB conversation, didn't see enough of his Porto teams to comment, still think he might be worth a look, depending on how progressive his thinking is around stuff that we wouldn't be privy to (e.g. training/preperation/fitness/diet/etc.), Spurs could do with a manager that might be willing to give a 5+ year shift with us.

I'd like to point out that people aren't turning on Redknapp because he looks like finishing in the top six.

They're turning on him because, for so much of the last two seasons, they've seen what the team can really do when they turn it on, only to then suddenly fall away pathetically. Why?

Due to fatigue caused by 'Arry's lack of rotation.

Due to a lack of confidence in the reserve players, caused by 'Arry's reluctance to trust them.

Due to a lack of a coherent game plan, or any sort of tactical framework for the team to fall back on when times get hard, due to 'Arry's lack of desire to train on these things.

Due to a disgracefully low set-piece success rate, due to, again, 'Arry's apparent aversion to, y'know, actually using those big green fields we call training pitches for anything other than five a sides and giggling with Avram Grant.

Due to 'Arry's employment of glorified yes-men as staff and coaches at Spurs Lodge.

Due to a paper-thin squad and terrible options on the bench, caused partly by 'Arry's seeming dislike of buying players he doesn't know much about, while Suarez, Sessegnon, Ben Arfa, Cisse et al sparkle at other clubs.

Due to 'Arry's policy of 'fudging run around a bit', and his helplessness when faced with a bad situation.

Due to 'Arry's refusal to distance himself from the England job.

Due to 'Arry's self aggrandisement at the expense of the club, its players and its fans.

Due to 'Arry's refusal to learn from the season right before this one, when many of the same things happened for many of the exact same reasons.

All these things have contributed to our end-of-season slump, much like they did last season. Add to that 'Arry's utter lack of loyalty to the club, and his tendency to repeatedly mock the fans questioning his management, and the club that employs him, and you're faced with a powder of keg of dislike for the man that only needs the spark of a few bad results to go off.

As for people waxing lyrical about our play, where are they now exactly? waxing lyrical about some other team's style of play while savaging us with every bad result. and what do we have to show for this fulsome praise? Sweet fudge all at present. Will Modric or Bale remember the praise being directed our way when agitating for moves? Will Hazard remember the praise being showered on our flowing football when deciding whether to play in the Europa League or the Champions League?

When do we stop comparing ourselves to Spurs of old and patting ourselves on the back? 'hooray, we finished in the top six three seasons in a row! We've never had it so good!' Yes, we have. We've won the league twice, the FA Cup eight times,the UEFA Cup twice. We've had brief moments of glory punctuated by long spells of mediocrity. Why must we settle for upper mid-table mediocrity because it's slightly better than lower mid-table mediocrity? Why do we have to settle for finishing in the top six and comforting ourselves that it's a good job when you, me and every other fan on the planet knows that this team could have done so much better? So, so much better?

When do we stop wallowing in our own mid-table history and dare to dream? The reason people are turning on Harry is because we were in a position to finish comfortably clear of Arsenal, in third, close to the top two. We had a great squad, with great ability and a potentially great future. We had glorious ambitions of European conquest, and soldifying our place, at last, among the truly big boys. And all we needed to finally do that was a manager who could keep the squad healthy, keep them happy, and keep them motivated when times got rough. A manager who could train them well, and work on all aspects of our play, including set-pieces. A manager who could do something when the chips were down. A manager who could learn from his past mistakes, a la the 2010-2011 season. A manager who could show loyalty to the club who employed him and the players who loved playing for him. A decent manager.

15 out of twenty coaches in the Premier League could have done all of these things. Instead, we got 'Arry, and we are where we are, fifth, three points behind spend-thrift Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and looking short of ideas, energy, motivation or desire. And six points behind Arsenal. From being thirteen points ahead at one stage, which is a nineteen point swing. And it could have been more.

Some people are turning on Harry because they dreamt of finally ending our mediocrity, instead of accepting his guff line that 'we've never had it so good'. That we should have been grateful for what he was giving us.

He's got four games. Win the next one, and the mood changes, confidence returns and a tiny hope flickers. And the dreams will start again. And we have a chance of making it.

If we do, he can leave with the respectful send-off he deserves.

If we don't, his legacy will be the eventual disassembling of the most talented squad we've had in the Premier League era. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Who performed better this season, Redknapp or AVB? It's not a hard question is it?

And I'd give AVB rope for sure. In recent times I was glad to see the back of George Graham (style of play more than performances) and David Pleat (because I genuinely believe he undermined both Graham and Hoddle and reaped what he sowed). I wasn't glad to see the back of anyone else. Not even Ramos, who perplexed me and who I do think lost the plot.

I'm a great believer in giving Manager's time. I am a great believer in not getting on the back of a Manager in a rough form patch ESPECIALLY if the Manager has had us playing well in the past. We are all so keen to back the team when it's winning and far too keen to jump on them when they're not. If a Manager underachieves for 18 months straight (and by under achieve I mean at least a couple of levels below what the squad is capable of) then I'll join the chorus of wanting them to go if there are no circumstances beyond the Manager's control, e.g. injuries to key players.

I'm grateful for Redknapp. Worst case scenario now is that we'll finish 6th. So in his tenure

First Season - 8th (after 2pts from 8 games) with a pts per game ratio that would have been good enough for 6th (and only 1pt behind 5th).
Second Season - 4th
Third Season - 5th
Fourth Season - 4th to 6th.

That makes him our most consistant manager since Bill Nick. However it ends, no one can say Redknapp was a failure at Spurs. We were down in the dumps for over a decade. Jol dragged us out of it and under him we started to get some self respect. Under Redknapp we got that self respect back completely and for a period of time people were waxing lyrical about our performances and style of play. And yet people turn on him so easily after a run of 15 or so bad results? It's a fudging disgrace. They'll take the glory but won't support the team during any downswings? Pathetic plastic fans at their worst.

It is impossible to call who had the better season due to the fact AVB was sacked halfway through rendering it impossible to draw an objective parallel between the two.

And just to summarise - you are digging into fans for turning against Arry over a 10-15 game bad run (far deeper issues than that but let's simplify it for argument's sake) then in the same breath have tarnished AVB for his bad run of 8-10 games (shorter and slightly better run of games than Arry) during his maiden season in one of the most fickle managerial positions in the world for which he was sacked. I hope you take some time and read / think about that.

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that people aren't turning on Redknapp because he looks like finishing in the top six.

They're turning on him because, for so much of the last two seasons, they've seen what the team can really do when they turn it on, only to then suddenly fall away pathetically. Why?

Due to a lack of confidence in the reserve players, caused by 'Arry's reluctance to trust them.

Due to a lack of a coherent game plan, or any sort of tactical framework for the team to fall back on when times get hard, due to 'Arry's lack of desire to train on these things.

Due to a disgracefully low set-piece success rate, due to, again, 'Arry's apparent aversion to, y'know, actually using those big green fields we call training pitches for anything other than five a sides and giggling with Avram Grant.

Due to 'Arry's employment of glorified yes-men as staff and coaches at Spurs Lodge.

Due to a paper-thin squad and terrible options on the bench, caused partly by 'Arry's seeming dislike of buying players he doesn't know much about, while Suarez, Sessegnon, Ben Arfa, Cisse et al sparkle at other clubs.

Due to 'Arry's policy of 'fudging run around a bit', and his helplessness when faced with a bad situation.

Due to 'Arry's self aggrandisement at the expense of the club, its players and its fans.

Due to 'Arry's refusal to learn from the season right before this one, when many of the same things happened for many of the exact same reasons.

All these things have contributed to our end-of-season slump, much like they did last season. Add to that 'Arry's utter lack of loyalty to the club, and his tendency to repeatedly mock the fans questioning his management, and the club that employs him, and you're faced with a powder of keg of dislike for the man that only needs the spark of a few bad results to go off.

As for people waxing lyrical about our play, where are they now exactly? waxing lyrical about some other team's style of play while savaging us with every bad result. and what do we have to show for this fulsome praise? Sweet fudge all at present. Will Modric or Bale remember the praise being directed our way when agitating for moves? Will Hazard remember the praise being showered on our flowing football when deciding whether to play in the Europa League or the Champions League?

When do we stop comparing ourselves to Spurs of old and patting ourselves on the back? 'hooray, we finished in the top six three seasons in a row! We've never had it so good!' Yes, we have. We've won the league twice, the FA Cup eight times,the UEFA Cup twice. We've had brief moments of glory punctuated by long spells of mediocrity. Why must we settle for upper mid-table mediocrity because it's slightly better than lower mid-table mediocrity? Why do we have to settle for finishing in the top six and comforting ourselves that it's a good job when you, me and every other fan on the planet knows that this team could have done so much better? So, so much better?

When do we stop wallowing in our own mid-table history and dare to dream? The reason people are turning on Harry is because we were in a position to finish comfortably clear of Arsenal, in third, close to the top two. We had a great squad, with great ability and a potentially great future. We had glorious ambitions of European conquest, and soldifying our place, at last, among the truly big boys. And all we needed to finally do that was a manager who could keep the squad healthy, keep them happy, and keep them motivated when times got rough. A manager who could train them well, and work on all aspects of our play, including set-pieces. A manager who could do something when the chips were down. A manager who could learn from his past mistakes, a la the 2010-2011 season. A manager who could show loyalty to the club who employed him and the players who loved playing for him. A decent manager.

15 out of twenty coaches in the Premier League could have done all of these things. Instead, we got 'Arry, and we are where we are, fifth, three points behind spend-thrift Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and looking short of ideas, energy, motivation or desire. And six points behind Arsenal. From being thirteen points ahead at one stage, which is a nineteen point swing. And it could have been more.

Some people are turning on Harry because they dreamt of finally ending our mediocrity, instead of accepting his guff line that 'we've never had it so good'. That we should have been grateful for what he was giving us.

He's got four games. Win the next one, and the mood changes, confidence returns and a tiny hope flickers. And the dreams will start again. And we have a chance of making it.

If we don't, his legacy will be the eventual disassembling of the most talented squad we've had in the Premier League era. Simple as that.

You sir, have hit the tickle my balls with a feather

I'm beginning to think the only reason some fans are still left cheering for this man is the fact their expectations are forever rooted in mid-table mediocrity and eternal brickness of the past - i.e. they've been on the receiving end far too long and anything above that is merely a bonus. However - as you say, we must lose this eternal mid-table complex and attempt to use our current glimpse of squad quality and club prosperity instead of always justifying failures on some historical basis and karma

If a Manager underachieves for 18 months straight (and by under achieve I mean at least a couple of levels below what the squad is capable of) then I'll join the chorus of wanting them to go if there are no circumstances beyond the Manager's control, e.g. injuries to key players.

Well, we're about to. Should we not finish in the top four, we will have underperformed for the season as a whole, and, indeed, for the past fourteen to fifteen months, if we take last season's post-February collapse into account.

This squad is capable of finishing third. It has proven it can do so. But it is currently fifth, and, should we (should we) finish the season there, it is two rungs below where we should have finished. Which will probably lead to the sale of a few key members of the squad, necessitating a painful rebuilding process that might or might not yield results. The end of this cycle of Spurs, of this team. Which was supposedly our most talented in the PL era.

Sure, we'll rebuild and come back again...but to come so tantalisingly close to the glory that has eluded us for so long, to feel for the first time on par with the best in Europe...and then to have it snatched away by poor managerial decisions and woeful squad management..that hurts.

Perhaps that's why people are so mad. Not because Harry was, and remains consistently mediocre (Which perhaps would have been tolerated), or consistently below-average, but because he alternates between a mastermind and an inept, clueless, self-aggrandizing chancer with such frequency. He gave us some of the best moments of the PL era, and then, despite every man and his dog pointing them out, proceeded to let his many faults destroy our chances of finally experiencing them on a consistent basis.

We coulda had class. We coulda been contenders, instead of the bums we're looking like becoming.

For the sake of the club, I hope he rams my criticisms down my throat and masterfully guides us to twelve points from the last four games.

At the moment, however, it seems far-fetched.

I hope this finally puts an end to this pipe dream

Jose Mourinho sees 'no reason' to leave Real Madrid

Jose Mourinho says he is not planning to leave Real Madrid this summer as he closes in on winning a league title in a fourth different country.

Real are seven points clear in Spain's La Liga, but Mourinho has been linked to Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project.

"At the moment my future is not important, but I think I will be here next season," the Real manager said.

"I have a contract with the club and no reason to leave. It is better to stay at a club for four or five years."

The Portuguese was appointed in May 2010, signing a four-year deal, but reports earlier this year claimed he wanted to return to England in the summer.

Mourinho said: "At the end of the season I will have time to speak with the players and the directors and we will decide what is best for me, for the club and for the squad."

After Saturday's 2-1 victory over arch-rivals Barcelona, Mourinho is on the brink of winning the league in a fourth country, after leading FC Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan to domestic titles in Portugal, England and Italy respectively.

He is also chasing Champions League success with a third club after triumphs with Porto in 2004 and Inter in 2010, although Real will have to overcome a 2-1 first-leg deficit when they face Bayern Munich in Wednesday's semi-final.

"Overall I have not been lucky in semi-finals of the Champions League," he said.

"I lost one with Chelsea [in 2005] due to a goal that wasn't a goal; the ball didn't cross the line. In [2007] we lost on penalties and I lost the semi-final last season because of what everyone knows.

"I don't know if the Champions League is more important than the league, because the best team always wins the league and this isn't always the case in Europe.

"However, the final of the Champions League is the most important thing in football. Tomorrow is almost like a long-awaited final, but I see calmness in the players. I don't like an excess of emotion, nor a lack of it."

Mourinho is also keeping an eye on Tuesday's clash between Chelsea and Barcelona.

"If it were Barcelona against Milan or Arsenal or any other team then it wouldn't matter to me who progressed - I would want the best team to win," he said.

"But because it is Chelsea I feel slightly different. I would like it if the luck went to my old players."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17829782

Hmm. Probably bullcrap, but worth posting here all the same, since it comes from the same media that once praised us for our flowing, magnificent, all-conquering football.

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey and Greg Stobart

Tottenham players are in open revolt against manager Harry Redknapp’s methods following the calamitous run that is destroying the team’s season, Goal.com can reveal.

A cabal of players, including some of the most senior at the club, have communicated their frustrations via their agents over the last few weeks to chairman Daniel Levy during a run of just one win from nine Premier League matches.

Goal.com understands they have complained about Redknapp’s tactics and match preparation, with one enduring theme being that training during the week is providing little preparation for the weekend fixtures.
It is believed that senior Spurs figures have been so alarmed by the players’ feedback and a catastrophic run of results that they would consider replacing Redknapp as manager at the end of the season, even in the unlikely event that he does not quit Tottenham to become the new England boss.

The club has abandoned plans to try and persuade the 65-year-old to stay at White Hart Lane and will not offer him the four-year ?ú16 million contract they had prepared.

Although Goal.com has learned that Redknapp is far from at loggerheads with his entire squad – reports of a bust-up with Emmanuel Adebayor are wide of the mark - a significant number of players have questioned events on the training ground.

“The players feel they are not going into matches well enough prepared,” a Tottenham source told Goal.com. “For instance, they will practice all week in a 4-5-1 formation and then play 4-4-2 at the weekend. Or vice versa.

“They also feel there is not enough attention to detail and tactics. One common complaint is little or no practice defending set-pieces. There are question marks about the coaching and how much the players are improving through the input of the staff.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...nham-players-revolt-against-manager-redknapp?

chirpy.jpg

A cabal of players, including some of the most senior at the club, have communicated their frustrations via their agents over the last few weeks to chairman Daniel Levy during a run of just one win from nine Premier League matches.

Is that really so hard to talk personally to Levy?

Bang on

> Every time Harry rotates out a player he is slaughtered for not playing the best team. Stevenage away and last week's QPR game just 2 examples.

> We've seen repeatedly that many of them - Niko, Gio, Rose - aren't good enough, and I don't exactly see Toon or Arse loading up with kids or fringe players.

> I still don't know what the board consensus here is on formation: some swear by 442, some 451, some 433...and yet there's supposedly some obvious golden formation Harry can't plainly see. Find consensus here before hammering Harry for this.

> Several other teams this season have dreadful set-piece records...I actually think Manyoo's corner goal rate is really low.

> You cannot possibly know that's true.

> None of us had heard of Cisse before last week, Ben Arfa is not yet proven as a consistent long term, he's had discipline problems, was let go by a big club and has missed a lot of games, Suarez is a **** and I don't want him, and Sessegnon isn't exactly an obvious, no-brainer purchase - more obvious than Pienaar? I don't think so. I also look at out squad and ask whether those players are better than what we have. Maybe, but it's not certain. And BTW, if you'd mentioned any of those players before 2 months ago and people here would have snoozed right past their names

> You can't judge him on what he said to that donkey Pav. "Running around" is all the stupid cun* would have understood! Over the last 2 or 3 seasons Harry has made good substitutions, sent out good formations and has won loads of games. Not in the last 6 or 8 games, but there it is.

> He's in a fudging impossible situation here. Distance himself from the job and then take it, and people here will be calling him Judas II. Say he's going to take it, and risk turning off the players. I don't know what he's supposed to do.

> That's a purely subjective view of it, and I don't particularly agree with it.

> Maybe.

Back