• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I'd be very happy with AVB.

The failure at Chelsea didn't really come down to his ability as a manager. He tried to get a team used to playing a counter attacking style to play a more fluid possession game. And at the same time phase out the veterans who still believed in the old way of playing. Hard job. He won't have that problem here.

Not sure Ive ever associated AVB with being a disciplinarian. Not the point I was making either.

Ramos joined OUR CLUB with a 'strong hand' attitude and lost the players in record time. I think Capello would be the same.

I'd be very happy with AVB.

The failure at Chelsea didn't really come down to his ability as a manager. He tried to get a team used to playing a counter attacking style to play a more fluid possession game. And at the same time phase out the veterans who still believed in the old way of playing. Hard job. He won't have that problem here.

The failure at Chelsea had A LOT to do with his ability as manager, the question is whether or not he has learnt from the experience.

He tried to do to much to quickly-that was his mistake and no one elses. He tried to oust the old guard completely without the foresight to see he would need them onside this season-that was his mistake and no one elses. He then failed to react when his methods clearly werent working-once again his mistake alone.

Yes there were other factors, but at the very core of his troubles were decisions he made, in error IMO.

Thats not to say he wouldnt be a good appointment or indeed isnt a good manager. He certainly has a lot going for him - but I do get fed up with the excuses made for his failure.

Ramos could not communicate his footballing philosophies to the players because of the language barrier. I think that is the main reason he failed. That and he might have been Mark Hughes in disguise.

mark-hughes-lookalike.jpg

The failure at Chelsea had A LOT to do with his ability as manager, the question is whether or not he has learnt from the experience.

He tried to do to much to quickly-that was his mistake and no one elses. He tried to oust the old guard completely without the foresight to see he would need them onside this season-that was his mistake and no one elses. He then failed to react when his methods clearly werent working-once again his mistake alone.

Yes there were other factors, but at the very core of his troubles were decisions he made, in error IMO.

Thats not to say he wouldnt be a good appointment or indeed isnt a good manager. He certainly has a lot going for him - but I do get fed up with the excuses made for his failure.

Ok, maybe what I said was wrong. His knowledge of the game is there. His preparation, his ability to analyse and come up with a plan will all be there. As will I assume sqaud rotation.

But he did have a massive ask. And he probably did go wrong in trying to do too much too quickly. But at the end of the day if your brief is to make the playing style of the football club more attractive, to reduce the average age of the playing squad and to do it while challenging for trophies, it's going to be a tough job. He was given a brief and tried to do it. The players absolutely refused to go along with his methods after making their minds up on him, and that's disgraceful.

Sure, he could have maybe not tried to change the style so drastically, or maybe pandered to the egos of the ageing stars a bit more, but then he'd probably have faced questions about why he wasn't bringing the change he was brought in to acheive. Like Hodgson at Liverpool, he was the wrong man at the wrong time. The style of football could have worked, but it would have required a heck of a lot more signings to make the squad capable of playing it. And the rebuilding could have worked if he had more time, but he didn't.

Here, he wouldn't have to affect such drastic change. We already play a high line, possession game (failing miserable at breaking teams down but hey-ho) and our players will be quite suited to what he will want to do. The veterans we have here aren't key players, they are all on short term contracts and won't cause a fuss when moved on. He will just need a bit of cash to get some players he needs in but the squad needs reinvigorating anyway. He can speak English almost too well, so his ideas should get across. As long as the players respect him and don't immediately dismiss him because of what happened at Chelsea (and I can't imagine our players are the ****ish type) he will do well I would say.

As I said, I'd be very happy with AVB. I feel we can take a massive gamble and see it pay off, profiting from Chelsea casting him off too soon.

Ability to analyse? Kind of contradicts the gross errors of judgement he made! :lol:

I do think in many respects we are better suited for him, certainly. I also think he has shown he has potential, so is worth consideration. I wouldnt be disappointed with his appointment, thats for sure, though I would be looking for him to have learned from his time at Chelsea.

That said though there are still a lot of excuses for him in your post - Im not picking you out on it - more pointing it out as illustrative of the way people seem to view him. It strikes me as a little odd to be honest, Id love to understand why he attracts such support and leniency.

Ok, maybe what I said was wrong. His knowledge of the game is there. His preparation, his ability to analyse and come up with a plan will all be there. As will I assume sqaud rotation.

But he did have a massive ask. And he probably did go wrong in trying to do too much too quickly. But at the end of the day if your brief is to make the playing style of the football club more attractive, to reduce the average age of the playing squad and to do it while challenging for trophies, it's going to be a tough job. He was given a brief and tried to do it. The players absolutely refused to go along with his methods after making their minds up on him, and that's disgraceful.

Sure, he could have maybe not tried to change the style so drastically, or maybe pandered to the egos of the ageing stars a bit more, but then he'd probably have faced questions about why he wasn't bringing the change he was brought in to acheive. Like Hodgson at Liverpool, he was the wrong man at the wrong time. The style of football could have worked, but it would have required a heck of a lot more signings to make the squad capable of playing it. And the rebuilding could have worked if he had more time, but he didn't.

Here, he wouldn't have to affect such drastic change. We already play a high line, possession game (failing miserable at breaking teams down but hey-ho) and our players will be quite suited to what he will want to do. The veterans we have here aren't key players, they are all on short term contracts and won't cause a fuss when moved on. He will just need a bit of cash to get some players he needs in but the squad needs reinvigorating anyway. He can speak English almost too well, so his ideas should get across. As long as the players respect him and don't immediately dismiss him because of what happened at Chelsea (and I can't imagine our players are the ****ish type) he will do well I would say.

As I said, I'd be very happy with AVB. I feel we can take a massive gamble and see it pay off, profiting from Chelsea casting him off too soon.

Hmmmm - do we really want a manager who tries to impose a certain style of play on a team, irrespective of whether or not that is the best style of play for the players who are there? Contrast that with Martinez who considered the players he has and then shaped them in a way that would get the best out of them.

Ramos could not communicate his footballing philosophies to the players because of the language barrier. I think that is the main reason he failed. That and he might have been Mark Hughes in disguise.

mark-hughes-lookalike.jpg

LOL, absolute doppel-ganger, brilliant! :ross:

Nope.

Don't under-estimate Portugese league, Sporting beat City over 2 legs.

I know its good, Im not saying otherwise. Just looking for some perspective.

Martinez is flavour of the month, and so a good subject for the point. Personally, with PORTO (dont forget) I think he would ace the Portugeuse league.

Im not saying it makes him better than AVB, just offering a perspective is all.

Nope.

Don't under-estimate Portugese league, Sporting beat City over 2 legs.

no underestimation....Sporting were sensational in the second half aginst Bilbao last week. Absolutely blitzed Bilbao with fast, aggressive, passing football

the problem AVB now has is that his reputation and credibility has taken a bashing. Remember, players at different clubs all talk amongst each other, and im sure a lot of the Tottenham lads are friendly with the Chelsea players, so they would have heard plenty about what went on at Chelsea under AVB

Back