• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I've said this numerous times before - we need to be patient during the first transition season and prepared to back him up in what could well be a series of painful results and transfers. It's from there on we can objectively begin to form an opinion.

Whether it's AVB, Martinez, Rodgers, etc. - he'd have a tremendous amount of work to do in order to rectify the transfer mess Arry would leave us with in few weeks time. So in my books the new man would have 1 season grace to bring in his players, ideas, systems, ethos, etc. Playing CL during that time would be a bonus but won't have high hopes on the PL

I agree with this. I don't think people appreciate just how much Redknapp has done for us. There is a very real chance that when a new Manager comes in, we'll go backwards for the first couple of seasons, before we start going forwards again. Whoever replaces Redknapp deserves patience, and we should finally get behind a Manager (both the fans and the Board) and let one have 5 years before we start venting frustrations, demanding unrealistic expectations etc.

First aim is simple, and we're almost there. Establish us as a regular (and by regular I don't mean always, 6 out of 10 seasons would be regular) top four side, and an ever present in the top six.

I think Martinez would suit spurs. Lets be honest I would dislike watching us play tappy tappy football I like quick entertaining football and I like counter attacks - Martinez in this regard fits the bill. I would gladly be patient with the guy. Swansea are like the Arse pass pass pass and fairly little end product.

Martinez tries to play football and has done it with an inferior wigan team and has done it over a three or four year period AND NOT JUST A YEAR LIKE RODGERS.

I think his vision and approach to the game is great, but there's no hiding from the fact that he should be getting better results from what he's got to work with. I mean, is his squad worse than Norwich and Swansea's?

I think his vision and approach to the game is great, but there's no hiding from the fact that he should be getting better results from what he's got to work with. I mean, is his squad worse than Norwich and Swansea's?

They are both first season up and by all accounts over-acheiving, particularly Norwich. There's near enough 10 clubs in the league that 'should be doing better' than Norwich or Swansea but they aren't, but it doesn't mean they've all got crappy managers.

That's a harsh criteria to judge Martinez on. I would like to know why Wigan struggle so much if they are capable of pulling performances like they have done recently out of the bag, but at Spurs it just wouldn't be like that. Our players will be too good to go through the kind of run that left Wigan adrift at the bottom of the league, and hopefully they'll be focussed on playing a nice style of football and getting success with it.

The big change from Harry with Martinez or Rodgers will be playing more to a system as opposed to playing to express themselves, but maybe after the recent form the players will realise that maybe Harry's approach isn't the only way. Same with AVB.

I'd be happy with any 3 to be honest. AVB, Rodgers or Martinez would get us going. They would all suit us.

Hi steam year after year gets dismantled with key players going.

Last summer it was NZogbia

This summer most probably the likes of Moses.

He got in Beausoijoirororejejrjrorjejrjejrjer and one or two others. Look some of his signings are debatable I mean that Bosseli guy or whatever his face is but he has also got in one or two.

Norwich and Swansea do have really settled sides and theyre just riding on the premiership wave. Remember Ipswich a few years back? First season fifth and in EL and second season relegation.

Just another point on this - could we say there's no hiding that Rodgers should be getting better results considering what he has to work with? I mean, is his sqaud any worse that Norwich's?

There's a lot of very good points and opinions in this thread, most of which I agree with.

There is, of course, an issue that will change everything being discussed here.

Harry isn't going.

Roy Hodgson will be first choice for England. You heard it here first.

There's a lot of very good points and opinions in this thread, most of which I agree with.

There is, of course, an issue that will change everything being discussed here.

Harry isn't going.

Roy Hodgson will be first choice for England. You heard it here first.
#
redknapp is gone , i feel he has been gone since capello left

I agree with this. I don't think people appreciate just how much Redknapp has done for us. There is a very real chance that when a new Manager comes in, we'll go backwards for the first couple of seasons, before we start going backwards again. Whoever replaces Redknapp deserves patience, and we should finally get behind a Manager (both the fans and the Board) and let one have 5 minutes before we start venting frustrations, demanding unrealistic expectations etc.

First aim is simple, and we're almost there. Establish us as a regular (and by regular I don't mean always, 6 out of 10 seasons would be regular) top six side, and an ever present in the top ten.

Wigan is a terrible club to manage.....at least Swansea and Norwich have big support from the locals. Wigan has a population of 80k, is surrounded by massive clubs in the north west, and most of the local folks couldnt care less about the football club

im shocked they are anywhere near the top flight

I've thought of another key criteria that I want, given what's happened with Harry.

A manager who can prove consistency over the course of a season. Doesn't necessarily mean they've won titles or anything, but they've proven they understand concepts of squad rotation and how to avoid burning out star players.

For all the good work he's done, it's something Harry has failed to grasp here. In his first season he got away with it a bit because he re-signed Keane who hadn't been playing at Liverpool and was able to rotate him, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko and Bent - he also had Woodgate and King as first choice defenders which naturally meant Dawson was in and out of the team and stayed fresh. He also played Zokora and Bentley a lot when he first took over as they were the established first choice players, but got fed up with them and by the end of the season he was picking Lennon and Huddlestone instead. In his second season, his hand was also forced as Modric broke his leg and missed 3 months, meaning he wasn't burnt out in the run in, he discovered Bale was a far better left-winger than left-back, Pavlyuchenko went on a goalscoring run of form in the second half of the season meaning he forced his way back into the side, and King spent time out but came back strong in the final few weeks. This season and last however, we've over performed up until February but then burnt out in the second half of the season.

Ferguson is a master of rotation and ensuring his players are still fresh at the business end of the season. Benitez on the other hand over-rotated when at Liverpool and used to drop too many points in the early part of the season to make a successful title challenge. So who, out of the names being mentioned, has proven that they can understand this concept and can get results over the entire season, and not just at the beginning or end? Doesn't necessarily have to be a title challenge, I'd say Norwich have been consistent in the league this season - they've not lost more than two in a row and they've never gone more than four games without a win.

Interesting view, although I would say

- Agree Harry doesn't rotate enough, but was better this year with the cup sides, still think Bale/Modric/BAE/Walker have been badly overused.
- SAF doesn't rotate as much as play the younger players more in first half of season, veterans in closing, no co-incidence Manure is usually better in 2nd half of season.
- To truely rotate you need squad depth, and you need to pay enough to compensate egos for sitting on bench

My actual problem with Harry's rotation is it is a bit random

- Our CB's, Strikers and LB/LW, RB/RW should have rotated pairs, vs. just swapping one out. I would have much perferred at the beginning of season to have had Kaboul/Gallas, Dawson/King, Ade/VDV or whatever particular combinations so the team and players know it's BAE/Bale or Rose/Krunchie and that's how we play. I think that would have been more predictable.

Mourinho number 2?

I think not. Guardiola still has to prove himself at another club before he topples the special one

Exactly, Guardiola who has what every pundit/fanboy says is the best team in the history of football, and Mourinho will still win the Spanish League and possibly even the CL as well, after winning in Italy (treble) and England (everything except CL), and Portugal (treble there as well I believe)

No offense, I could win a few trophies with current Barca squad, Guardiola is a long way from matching Mourinho's track record.

Exactly, Guardiola who has what every pundit/fanboy says is the best team in the history of football, and Mourinho will still win the Spanish League and possibly even the CL as well, after winning in Italy (treble) and England (everything except CL), and Portugal (treble there as well I believe)

No offense, I could win a few trophies with current Barca squad, Guardiola is a long way from matching Mourinho's track record.

I agree Guardiola has an unbelievable squad of players, but you don't think he deserves any credit for winning 2 European Cups, winning 3 league titles and staving off Madrid despite their money or for the style of football that they play? It's bloody difficult to win the league every year as Arsenal and United found out in the 90s and early 2000s.

People want it both ways, they will slate Guardiola for winning with Barca, but also gloss over the fact that Mourinho always goes to clubs with either massive financial backing and/or great squads already in place, with the exception of Porto.

I'm not doubting Mourinho is a fantastic manager, but why does he need to resort to playing like Stoke whenever he plays Barca? His record against them is awful! The ironic thing is, they'd actually stand a better chance of beating Barca if they tried to play football rather than trying to kick Barca off the pitch.

Wigan is a terrible club to manage.....at least Swansea and Norwich have big support from the locals. Wigan has a population of 80k, is surrounded by massive clubs in the north west, and most of the local folks couldnt care less about the football club

im shocked they are anywhere near the top flight

200 Wigan fans at the match last night I believe.

And they still outsung the Arsenal fans:)

Jose Mourinho at Spurs is fantasy. We are simply not big enough and not rich enough for him. We don't fit his agenda unless he wanted to try something truly different (we are of a different ilk of challenge compared to his other jobs). Also, he has fought to get a stranglehold within Madrid, would be surprised if he left them.

Jose Mourinho at Spurs is fantasy. We are simply not big enough and not rich enough for him. We don't fit his agenda unless he wanted to try something truly different (we are of a different ilk of challenge compared to his other jobs). Also, he has fought to get a stranglehold within Madrid, would be surprised if he left them.

I think, if Mourinho does want to leave Real in the summer, Levy could make a good go of selling the club to him.

He can say there has to come a point where you stop taking the biggest jobs with the most money and do something for the challenge. I mean, yeah, he could probably take the City job, spend a boatload more money and win them the league. So what? He's already done that exact thing with Chelsea. He's them proven he wasn't a one time fluke by doing it with Inter Milan, and he's now proving himself at Madrid too. If he's leaving there, why do the exact same thing again at City? Maybe he might be tempted by Chelsea, but with City and United in their way he might not want to go there and ruin his legacy.

What will he want to be rememered for? He's already won the Champions League, twice. He's won the Premier League by spending the most money. He's won the Italian League, and he may well win the Spanish League. What does the City job add to his life? He could come here, and be known as the man that challenged properly for the title with Spurs. If he could make us serious contenders, he would without doubt be known as one of the all time greats. He already will be, but this shows he can do it without the big budgets too. I think he's just sure enough of himself that he might be up for that.

Liverpool would also represent a similar challenge, but they'll be stupid enough to give Kenny another season so if Jose is leaving this summer, I think we look like his best, most exciting option.

Back