• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Them set of results make Martinez look like a better manager in some ways, as he has had to lift them up and motivate them to where has now, by beating the champions, and 2 admirable away wins at Anfield and the Emirates, in as many games.

Kudos to him, he's done fantastically well and I hope they stay up.

My problem with Martinez is his complete lack of a plan B, it makes no sense to try to play like Barca if you don't even have PL quality players, and if you try and lose game after game for season after season, you need some other tactic.

Fair play to him for beating the Scum, but if people think Harry is limited tactically ... wtf?

Likeable guy, tries to play football the right way and his best attribute is his teams can be spanked one week, and turn out the next game like it never happened, but nothing I've seen from the guys suggests he is ready for a top 6 club.

Well its seems his counter attacking is is plan B. And his problem is his plan A has failed to work all season. Martin O'Neill can win games by counter attacking too but no one wants him here. If Sunderland went out passed the ball around pretty and got spanked for a few games would he be in the hunt then as well?

Last edited:
For me Martinez is one of those managers among with a bunch of others that "aren't Mourinho", pretty close between all of them and all of them have some question marks next to their names. I would expect him to be somewhere on Levy's block though should Harry leave.

> Jurgen Klinsmann - It's simply not going to happen so not even worth worrying about. He's way too comfy and set in the sun of Cali.
> Andre Villas Boas - Chelsea really did look scarily clueless for much of the season. The WBA game just before AVB left was a shambles. All kinda worrying, plus the immense pressure he'd be under. I wouldn't be distraught, but no for me.
> Rodgers - Yes, I get the arguments in favour, but I'm very, very scared of First Season Syndrome. At the end of the day, I don't have the balls for the risk. 10 bad games at the start of next season and the damage might be done. Again, wouldn't blame Levy for having a go, and wouldn't slag him if it went wrong. But right now, no.
> David Moyes - In my gut he just doesn't feel like a Spurs man. No. The fit is just somehow not right.
> Paul Lambert - A less promising Rodgers, so if I don't fancy de Ben, then I don't fancy de Lams.
> Slaven Bilic - Don't trust the famous brittle Eastern European temperament. Has then ever been a successful EE manager in England? Joseef Venglos? Raddy Antic? And no club experience. It's a firm no.
> Rafael Benitez - I like Rafa more than most here, but his transfer dealings were shocking and he came pretty close to having a nervous breakdown at the end of his Pool tenure. Ouch, maybe, but I don't think so.

Hand on heart, I started to do that list in the order I'd take them, but found myself ruling them out one by one. That leaves only one I'd be a little bit excited about: step forward Roberto Martinez.

Jurgen will not happen as you said, out of the rest of them, the only one I would be excited about is AVB.

Huge risk (could be another Ramos), but if you were looking for a progressive young manager to build the team over the next 5-7 years, worth a shot.

Moyes, never, nasty dull football and always gets their ass kicked by the rivals.
Rafa, dreadful football, stupifying substitutions/players out of position/awful transfer record and poor player injury record as well, really not what we need at Spurs. Whatever positive he has in his CV is based on Cup games, his PL record is tinkle poor in a club where the #1 priority was the PL.
Lambert, moving on, won't waste a comment.
Bilic, no experience whatsoever at club level, moving on.

Honestly, my view, in order

- If Jose was available, Levy should offer him whatever he wants, it's as close to a sure bet as you get.
- If we are trying to be progressive, AVB would be gamble that might be worth taking
- Short term type Capello/Hiddink/Acelotti (experienced, proven, European type for likely 2 years)
- Rogers/Martinez would be a huge gamble and would mean a manager learning on the job, with the press waiting for the first slip up.

We have to think, want to be a top 4 club, hire a manager a top 4 club would hire.

Well its seems his counter attacking is is plan B. And his problem is his plan A has failed to work all season. Martin O'Neill can win games by counter attacking too but no one wants him here. If Sunderland went out passed the ball around pretty and got spanked for a few games would he be in the hunt then as well?

Well his plan A has not worked for several seasons (unless squeaky bum time was the goal each season)

Mate, I may not want Martinez, but MON is like Daglish, a fudging dinosaur, if 80s english football (which was brick btw) is your thing, then sign up MON/Daglish/etc.

Well his plan A has not worked for several seasons (unless squeaky bum time was the goal each season)

Mate, I may not want Martinez, but MON is like Daglish, a fudging dinosaur, if 80s english football (which was brick btw) is your thing, then sign up MON/Daglish/etc.

No one wants that. But Wigan's success lately has not come from dominating possession or playing the game in the correct way. People are fooling themselves if they think Martinez playing passing football and winning games.

No one wants that. But Wigan's success lately has not come from dominating possession or playing the game in the correct way. People are fooling themselves if they think Martinez playing passing football and winning games.

Probably true (and I'm not in the sign Martinez camp), but at least it shows he's learning/adapting to get the needed results, and results like the last 3 games do show some planning.

If he has decided to play that way all the time, another story.

They certainly play passing football compared to Stoke, Blackburn and some of the other clogger sides in the PL. I only watched the last 30 minutes against Arsenal, but they did keep possession fairly well, passed it out from the back quite a bit and played a pretty well balanced game overall I thought.

- Short term type Capello/Hiddink/Acelotti (experienced, proven, European type for likely 2 years)

Ancelloti would be my No. 1 pick (well, No. 2 after Jose, but that's not happening)...but I very much doubt he'd leave PSG after a year for us.

- If Jose was available, Levy should offer him whatever he wants, it's as close to a sure bet as you get.
- If we are trying to be progressive, AVB would be gamble that might be worth taking
- Rogers/Martinez would be a huge gamble and would mean a manager learning on the job, with the press waiting for the first slip up.

Ancelotti and Hiddink are off the table I think with the jobs they have now, Mourinho seems more likely to me (but still very unlikely). I would be very doubtful if we went for Capello, great history, but his failure with England would make him a very easy victim for both the press and probably also some fans. Not sure how happy the players would be with him either, especially the English ones.

To me there are almost only gambles left, AVB, Rodgers, Martinez, Lambert, Moyes and so on...

I don't think there is an obvious "top 4" manager available.

One of the things I really dislike about Martinez's tactics is the amount of tactical fouling they do. They'll knowingly commit fouls just to break up the flow of the oppositions play and to stop teams from breaking. Looking at the stats they have the most fouls per game in the league right now.

flavour of the month. Did well to beat the scum and united though. funnily enough he wasnt even included in the poll for next Spurs manager. see below

I may have already posted this before, can't remember though. Bit of tenuous eye-tee-kay.

Summary - Friend owns a company which deals with media/brand promotion for businesses/individuals. Benitez is one of their clients, they've recently re-branded his online presence etc. Friend sends email showing me some of the work they've been doing, then ends email with, 'I know something you don't know!'

Instantly, I emailed him back and asked if Rafa was going to be our next manager. He replied saying he was over-egging it, but Rafa is definitely very interested and it looks like the club could be interested too. Apparently he's a 'strong candidate'.

Don't shoot Melinda, as the ferret crosses the badgers erectile dysfunction, mixed with blue and yellow etc etc etc

I think Mancini should be in the shortlist, as a remote option at the very least. He'd either walk or be released after they finish 2nd so offering him the option to stay in England and work with a promising squad is not far fetched. Doubt he'd go back to Inter and risk losing his good name there with their current squad of utter dross. In addition to Sneijder being as good as gone, imv. I also think Balotelli would be out of the door the day afer Mancini leaves. Appears pretty much everyone's had it with him bar Roberto who essentially brought him there so he has to show some grace.

So - Arry / Nelsen / Saha / Gallas / Krunchie / Ferdinand / Sherwood - out
Mancinin / Balotelli - in

Any takers?

One of the things I really dislike about Martinez's tactics is the amount of tactical fouling they do. They'll knowingly commit fouls just to break up the flow of the oppositions play and to stop teams from breaking. Looking at the stats they have the most fouls per game in the league right now.

Yeah and you know what? If it saves them from relegation so be it. Theyre fighting for their lives, the fouls are tactical and not cynical. Thats the foreign influence for you.

Dont tell me Mourinho doesnt do it, nor other Managers. THEY ALL DO IT.

I've thought of another key criteria that I want, given what's happened with Harry.

A manager who can prove consistency over the course of a season. Doesn't necessarily mean they've won titles or anything, but they've proven they understand concepts of squad rotation and how to avoid burning out star players.

For all the good work he's done, it's something Harry has failed to grasp here. In his first season he got away with it a bit because he re-signed Keane who hadn't been playing at Liverpool and was able to rotate him, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko and Bent - he also had Woodgate and King as first choice defenders which naturally meant Dawson was in and out of the team and stayed fresh. He also played Zokora and Bentley a lot when he first took over as they were the established first choice players, but got fed up with them and by the end of the season he was picking Lennon and Huddlestone instead. In his second season, his hand was also forced as Modric broke his leg and missed 3 months, meaning he wasn't burnt out in the run in, he discovered Bale was a far better left-winger than left-back, Pavlyuchenko went on a goalscoring run of form in the second half of the season meaning he forced his way back into the side, and King spent time out but came back strong in the final few weeks. This season and last however, we've over performed up until February but then burnt out in the second half of the season.

Ferguson is a master of rotation and ensuring his players are still fresh at the business end of the season. Benitez on the other hand over-rotated when at Liverpool and used to drop too many points in the early part of the season to make a successful title challenge. So who, out of the names being mentioned, has proven that they can understand this concept and can get results over the entire season, and not just at the beginning or end? Doesn't necessarily have to be a title challenge, I'd say Norwich have been consistent in the league this season - they've not lost more than two in a row and they've never gone more than four games without a win.

Yeah and you know what? If it saves them from relegation so be it. Theyre fighting for their lives, the fouls are tactical and not cynical. Thats the foreign influence for you.

Dont tell me Mourinho doesnt do it, nor other Managers. THEY ALL DO IT.

If we had a crucial game, and honestly all our games are crucial right now, where a tactical foul helped us get the points we needed I would fully expect every single one of our players to make that tactical foul.

Although tactical fouling is cynical it's not cheating or unsportsmanlike, you make the foul in front of the ref and everyone, you take the punishment given to you and you move on. Not like diving, simulation, trying to get someone sent off, handballing etc.

Back