• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Rafael Benitez - personally wouldn't want him, but would probably do well
Slaven Bilic -Hell No
Andre Villas Boas - would be a risky appointment after the Chelsea fiasco
Jurgen Klinsmann - i like him, think he comes across well but ideally would have a bit more experience at club level
Paul Lambert - yes
David Moyes - No
Harry Redknapp - time for a change
Brendan Rodgers - yes please
Roberto Martinez - mmmmm maybe

Who would we choose from that list?

Rafael Benitez
Slaven Bilic
Andre Villas Boas
Jurgen Klinsmann
Paul Lambert
Roberto Martinez
David Moyes
Harry Redknapp
Brendan Rodgers

Bilic or AvB,they would both be able to bring in lots of young talented players and they both set up their teams to play attractive football.

Moyes and Benitez would be horrible

Rafael Benitez
Slaven Bilic
Andre Villas Boas
Jurgen Klinsmann
Paul Lambert
Roberto Martinez
David Moyes
Harry Redknapp
Brendan Rodgers

> Jurgen Klinsmann - It's simply not going to happen so not even worth worrying about. He's way too comfy and set in the sun of Cali.
> Andre Villas Boas - Chelsea really did look scarily clueless for much of the season. The WBA game just before AVB left was a shambles. All kinda worrying, plus the immense pressure he'd be under. I wouldn't be distraught, but no for me.
> Rodgers - Yes, I get the arguments in favour, but I'm very, very scared of First Season Syndrome. At the end of the day, I don't have the balls for the risk. 10 bad games at the start of next season and the damage might be done. Again, wouldn't blame Levy for having a go, and wouldn't slag him if it went wrong. But right now, no.
> David Moyes - In my gut he just doesn't feel like a Spurs man. No. The fit is just somehow not right.
> Paul Lambert - A less promising Rodgers, so if I don't fancy de Ben, then I don't fancy de Lams.
> Slaven Bilic - Don't trust the famous brittle Eastern European temperament. Has then ever been a successful EE manager in England? Joseef Venglos? Raddy Antic? And no club experience. It's a firm no.
> Rafael Benitez - I like Rafa more than most here, but his transfer dealings were shocking and he came pretty close to having a nervous breakdown at the end of his Pool tenure. Ouch, maybe, but I don't think so.

Hand on heart, I started to do that list in the order I'd take them, but found myself ruling them out one by one. That leaves only one I'd be a little bit excited about: step forward Roberto Martinez.

It just seems insane that people would leap at Paul Lambert ahead of Rafa Benitez. PAUL LAMBERT! Why don't we go for Adkins from Saints. This time next year he'll have the same CV as Lambert.

Lambert. Crazy. Over a European Cup Winner, FA Cup Winner, La Liga Winner.

Each to their own i suppose.

Benitez is a tactician and would have zero, absolutely zero problems getting the best out of VdV for example. Anyway, Benitez is my vote. I'd take more pragmatic winning football over 5 goal drubbings against Arsenal and Chelsea.

All those crowing over Mourinho - he could never get a much more talented and expensively assembled Chelsea past Liverpool in the Chmapions League if I remember correctly...

Rafa Benitiez, the guy that wanted to replace Alonso with Gareth Barry?
I wouldn't like to see him anywhere our transfers dealings.

I suspect he's heading back to Liverpool in the summer anyway.

It just seems insane that people would leap at Paul Lambert ahead of Rafa Benitez. PAUL LAMBERT! Why don't we go for Adkins from Saints. This time next year he'll have the same CV as Lambert.

Lambert. Crazy. Over a European Cup Winner, FA Cup Winner, La Liga Winner.

Each to their own i suppose.

Benitez is a tactician and would have zero, absolutely zero problems getting the best out of VdV for example. Anyway, Benitez is my vote. I'd take more pragmatic winning football over 5 goal drubbings against Arsenal and Chelsea.

All those crowing over Mourinho - he could never get a much more talented and expensively assembled Chelsea past Liverpool in the Chmapions League if I remember correctly...

Mourinho's spending at Chelsea - ?ú225.76m http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2321598/Jose-Mourinhos-transfer-spending-at-Chelsea.html
Benitez's spending at Liverpool - ?ú229m http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html

Although Benitez was at Livepool for six full seasons and Jose at Chelsea for only three and a bit.

Its not as if the signings from those first 3 years evaporated or something. Mourinho rebulid the Chelsea team keeping only Lampard and Terry. Benitez rebuilt the Liverpool team keeping only Gerrard and Carragher.

AVB for me

The rest are either unattainable, have done fudge all of note or both.

In going from a 100% man manager to a 100% tactical manager we're gonna have a difficult transition period. The players next season will need a mental boost after the disastrous end to with season. AVB isn't gonna be able to give them that. I think he has good potential as a top manager but is the wrong guy for us right now.

Its not as if the signings from those first 3 years evaporated or something. Mourinho rebulid the Chelsea team keeping only Lampard and Terry. Benitez rebuilt the Liverpool team keeping only Gerrard and Carragher.

A few net spend figures would be interesting. Those above are irrelevant. You would need an average per season net spend to give it any sort of validity.

The point I was making was that, as he took twice the time to spend the same amount of money, Benitez spent half what Mourhinio did per season (on average). Not that I really want him as manager, just pointing that out.

Rafael Benitez
Slaven Bilic
Andre Villas Boas
Jurgen Klinsmann
Paul Lambert
Roberto Martinez
David Moyes
Harry Redknapp
Brendan Rodgers

1-Martinez
2-Rodgers
3-AVB

OT: Roberto Martinez

Said it before, the guy is one of the best managers in the country.

Their squad is fudging pants, yet now here they are, 5 points clear of the drop with just 4 games to go. He beat the best team in the country last week, he's also beaten Liverpool at Anfield and Arsenal at the Emirates. No matter how bad things were earlier in the season, he's stuck to his principles, stayed calm and continued to play attractive football.

The thing that impressed me most about Wigan tonight was the tactical intelligence of their players. Don't think there's many Wigan players who Arsenal would have had in their side tonight, but Wigan played intelligent, counter attacking football and were excellent at keeping possession when they got it. No hoofing the ball upfield when they won it back and keeping 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, they looked just as likely to score as Arsenal did in the second half. How many managers would have the balls to go to the Emirates and play a 3-4-3 formation? How many managers have coached their team so well that they wouldn't get absolutely raped playing it? Top class stuff from him.

Once again, he's got Wigan performing at the business end of the season. And he seems like a genuinely nice bloke too. Fair play to the guy.

Back