• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I think we really need to reconsider the 4-2-3-1

It's a nightmare model to try to play possession or control game as you are almost always giving up numerical advantage in the center (at best in our model the two, plus 1 of the 3 in front are actually holding the CM position, this constantly goes up against 4 or 5 from opposition)

It worked well under Poch when we had Dier, Dembele and Dele just in front of them. 3 six foot plus players

Can work ok if you have Fbs supporting and playing well though
But I agree

Yes, and if the two in DM are beastly (Dembele/Wanyama-like) while at least one of the three is willing to run to cover some of the gaps and shield the two - like Eriksen and Dele did. We may have the fullbacks (Reguilon and Tanganga/Doherty), but our CM/DM-options are not particularly beastly, and only Moura and potentially Bergwijn are providing enough cover from the front. And sticking with them means losing firepower.

So what do you suggest, looking at the players we have? A traditional 4-4-2? Or rather a 3-5-2? For the latter we need two new starting CB's to begin with.

It worked well under Poch when we had Dier, Dembele and Dele just in front of them. 3 six foot plus players

Actually Poch system worked mostly with

- Prime Dier (think PEH), either dropping back into the center of Jan/Toby pair protecting us from counters and allowing Jan/Toby to go out to cover CB's, or Dier himself could cover CB's higher on pitch
- Dembele was almost impossible to dispossess
- The person you missed in your reference wasn't Dele (he played higher), it was Eriksen who could pick a pass or shoot from range.

I agree with @Hotspur75 you have to look at what you have got and build a system to suit.

Doesn’t fix incompetent CBs
I agree.... and that’s why I have said that 2 x CBS and 1 x CM are the absolutely vital pieces of business that we need to do this summer. If we did that and that only that we could get away with the rest of the squad unchanged. We’d not be challenging for the title but could have something of a go at 4th place.

Last edited:
No bias there form you
He came in and their form dropped
There was some interesting articles on it last season
This season he has been in and out as you say
I’ll see if I can find someone the articles form the Sheffield press

Quite a few clubs linked to him

AC, Everton, Villa, Arsenal, City, Wolves.

not bad for a flop.

Think he would be a good signing.

I agree.... and that’s why I have said that 2 x CBS and 1 x CM are the absolutely vital pieces of business that we need to do this summer. If we did that and that only we could get away with the rest of the squad unchanged. We’d not be challenging for the title but could have something of a go at 4th place.

Exactly. Leave the fullbacks for now (Reguilon will come good, Sess will be good cover, and let's hope Tanganga can play more games), it's 2 CBs and 1 CM that we need. The CBs need to be good defenders (duh) of the Dawson/Vertonghen type. The CM has to be a classic box-to-box CM, because we've got (some) creativity with Lo Celso and possibly NDombele - although personally I would sell him now that his stock is still relatively high - and we've got Hojbjerg and Skipp to rotate or to play together at the base of midfield. What we lack is a powerful running midfielder, ideally with some of the vision and skill of Eriksen and some of the lungs of, say, Jenas.

I have no idea who that CM would be. Not Sabitzer (and he won't be coming). Perhaps Ryan Gravenberch at Ajax, but he's only 19.

I agree.... and that’s why I have said that 2 x CBS and 1 x CM are the absolutely vital pieces of business that we need to do this summer. If we did that and that only we could get away with the rest of the squad unchanged. We’d not be challenging for the title but could have something of a go at 4th place.

we ended the season 5 points off 4th with a better GD than Chelsea

1 top level CB and a settled manager would put us in 4th contention, if you put Dias in our lineup this season we probably would been 3rd.

That said, agree we should go for a CM option as well, as we need to expect some teams will improve next season.

Exactly. Leave the fullbacks for now (Reguilon will come good, Sess will be good cover, and let's hope Tanganga can play more games), it's 2 CBs and 1 CM that we need. The CBs need to be good defenders (duh) of the Dawson/Vertonghen type. The CM has to be a classic box-to-box CM, because we've got (some) creativity with Lo Celso and possibly NDombele - although personally I would sell him now that his stock is still relatively high - and we've got Hojbjerg and Skipp to rotate or to play together at the base of midfield. What we lack is a powerful running midfielder, ideally with some of the vision and skill of Eriksen and some of the lungs of, say, Jenas.

I rather we spend £70M on one top level CB and have them work with Toby/Rodon for next season, buy 2nd following summer than buy two "ok" £35M CBs

The CM needs to fit the system, if we sit Skipp and PEH, we have a very solid base that both player will carry the ball somewhat, then the CM in front of them needs to be the play/assist maker

I rather we spend £70M on one top level CB and have them work with Toby/Rodon for next season, buy 2nd following summer than buy two "ok" £35M CBs

The CM needs to fit the system, if we sit Skipp and PEH, we have a very solid base that both player will carry the ball somewhat, then the CM in front of them needs to be the play/assist maker

Ok, so that's three at the back in your view, Toby and Rodon + 70m? With attacking wingbacks and a three-man core in midfield. That makes sense. But I think who/what we can get depends on who we can sell. If we could sell Tanguy for around 50m, I would use all that money to buy the play/assist maker who in my view needs to do most of the running in midfield as well - we need a good scout to get a player like that for 50m who is a) willing to come and b) good enough. I would prefer two solid CB's myself, but that will happen only if we manage to sell both Sanchez and Dier. So here, too, who we sell conditions who we have to buy.

Ok, so that's three at the back in your view, Toby and Rodon + 70m? With attacking wingbacks and a three-man core in midfield. That makes sense. But I think who/what we can get depends on who we can sell. If we could sell Tanguy for around 50m, I would use all that money to buy the play/assist maker who in my view needs to do most of the running in midfield as well - we need a good scout to get a player like that for 50m who is a) willing to come and b) good enough. I would prefer two solid CB's myself, but that will happen only if we manage to see Sanchez and Dier. So here, too, who we sell conditions who we have to buy.

Yes, who we sell determines a lot (e.g. Kane) but lets say

- Lloris, Reguilon/Sess, Toby/Rodon, PEH/Skipp, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Son are a given

Selling Aurier = need a RB (I'm assuming we try to cut our losses on Doherty either way)
Sell Foyth, Sanchez & Dier = perhaps 2nd CB
Sell Sissoko, Winks, Lamela = new CM
Keep Bale = sell Dele
No vinicius = new backup striker, no Vinicius & Kane = new top level striker (and you probably need Bale)

Yes, and if the two in DM are beastly (Dembele/Wanyama-like) while at least one of the three is willing to run to cover some of the gaps and shield the two - like Eriksen and Dele did. We may have the fullbacks (Reguilon and Tanganga/Doherty), but our CM/DM-options are not particularly beastly, and only Moura and potentially Bergwijn are providing enough cover from the front. And sticking with them means losing firepower.

So what do you suggest, looking at the players we have? A traditional 4-4-2? Or rather a 3-5-2? For the latter we need two new starting CB's to begin with.
I’d suggest we wait and see what the new coach wants
Personally I don’t care what formation we play as long as we can play it as a unit

Yes, who we sell determines a lot (e.g. Kane) but lets say

- Lloris, Reguilon/Sess, Toby/Rodon, PEH/Skipp, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Son are a given

Selling Aurier = need a RB (I'm assuming we try to cut our losses on Doherty either way)
Sell Foyth, Sanchez & Dier = perhaps 2nd CB
Sell Sissoko, Winks, Lamela = new CM
Keep Bale = sell Dele
No vinicius = new backup striker, no Vinicius & Kane = new top level striker (and you probably need Bale)

Yes, I agree, although I would probably keep both Dele and Bale if I could. Both could at the very least be the understudy for the running CM I would be looking for, although ideally both would be employed further forward. It's just that I think we won't be able to sell all those players. Foyth to Villareal, sure. Lamela to Napoli perhaps, if you believe what you read, and Tanguy to a top team that better fits his style of play. But Winks and Sissoko? Dier and Sanchez? You just know that if we manage to sell two or even three of those, it's going to be late in the window, when your 70m CB and my box-to-box CM are long gone.

Or it is both, and we need them to agree prior?

Maybe....I was convinced it was Rodgers or Potter, but then the Ally Gold thing this morning seems to have killed those in my mind, so I'm officially giving up guessing now!!!

Back