• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

No, all managers make mistakes you have been around long enough to know that. Sarcasm does not suit you mate you are better then that. :D

Some of the players that bombed under Poch have gone further down the tubes over the near two years Jose has been here. And i would say the same no matter who was manager. Honest Guv.

:D

Bravo mate, very entertaining post, and so true.

Great post, well said.

I've always been a master of stating the obvious! :D

I will happily hold my hand up as "some people" and as an admin you are more than free to call me out on that by name mate.

I stayed quiet for a long, long time, yet still Poch's name would get raised over and over (trolling no doubt - I have always had a hard time resisting or understanding trolling). Yet it is clear that the same rules of conversation and analysis do not apply consistently.

So I found that personally speaking, keeping my counsel here felt increasingly disingenuous.

I appreciate the irony you have pointed out, however I cannot change how I feel about it. What I COULD change is whether I express it or not. For sure.

The criticisms are simple and binary. I will spare you given how much they've been aired. My personal view is not binary, true, but expressing it only diminishes the truth if you want to twist it that way. Facts are facts, and sure, fudge the personal opinions, but I don't believe in excuses or free passes, and if that does not entertain or amuse you my friend, yes, let's enjoy discussing Potter's future work (I hope he gets it).

Best as always...

Quite frankly, I knew you had a fond dislike for him but I couldn't tell for sure you'd claimed it was just a matter of getting rid of him to clinch 4th spot or not. I might add that it don't really need to call anyone out. The very nature of debate sometimes make us forget that we're all on the same boat, here: we all want what's best for the club and I'm sure that people who called for his dismissal genuinely felt it would work out. I'm just pointing out that it didn't turn out to be the case but I think the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't really matter who's right and who's wrong.

On a more personal note, I think nobody - myself included - is immune to the irony you mentioned, as I don't have any authority to call fellow Internet users to stop debating the merits of this or that manager. I vaguely remember writing not so long ago that anything and everything is worth a discussion. If I'm being perfectly honest here, I was probably a bit disappointed that this thread was hijacked with what I felt was a remake of the 'did we make a mistake sacking Pochettino'. While I wouldn't change a word to my post, even with hindsight, I realise it's may also look a tad... patronising, maybe, for lack of a better word? Hence the attempt at forced humour at the end of my message.

Personally, I'm betting on the Dortmund guy (Terzic, who happens to be a fellow countryman) but I'm looking forward to discussing his merits soon!

Some of the players that bombed under Poch have gone further down the tubes over the near two years Jose has been here. And i would say the same no matter who was manager. Honest Guv.

:D

Maybe i am missing something ? are you saying the players are not getting older, slower etc. IMO there were players under Poch who let him down, there are players who have continued to let the next two managers down. Its no use us giving anyone the job unless we get rid of those who have let 3 managers down.

Maybe i am missing something ? are you saying the players are not getting older, slower etc. IMO there were players under Poch who let him down, there are players who have continued to let the next two managers down. Its no use us giving anyone the job unless we get rid of those who have let 3 managers down.

I ask saying such issues were widely, widely discussed and complained about by previous managers, they were not heard, people indeed got angry at the suggestion that the likes of Toby be sold or Grealish bought (I remember many saying they thought Grealish would be a poor signing) and at that. moment, it was all piled onto the manager. He was sacked at a point in the season where we could've still rebounded and done much had he been backed in the January window both with outgoings and incomings. Instead..."The Gamble". Which failed spectacularly despite the self-promotion. But the same judgement does not seem to apply...

p.s. I only copied back your reply to show, err, sarcasm as employed by your good self

I think we are in the 18 months of mediocrity is going to see us lose Kane.

If it’s true that he’d already asked to leave then he made that decision way before “18 months of mediocrity”, and his recent comments about Jose suggest he backed him.

We were fudging brick before and we are fudging brick now.

Quite frankly, I knew you had a fond dislike for him but I couldn't tell for sure you'd claimed it was just a matter of getting rid of him to clinch 4th spot or not. I might add that it don't really need to call anyone out. The very nature of debate sometimes make us forget that we're all on the same boat, here: we all want what's best for the club and I'm sure that people who called for his dismissal genuinely felt it would work out. I'm just pointing out that it didn't turn out to be the case but I think the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't really matter who's right and who's wrong.

On a more personal note, I think nobody - myself included - is immune to the irony you mentioned, as I don't have any authority to call fellow Internet users to stop debating the merits of this or that manager. I vaguely remember writing not so long ago that anything and everything is worth a discussion. If I'm being perfectly honest here, I was probably a bit disappointed that this thread was hijacked with what I felt was a remake of the 'did we make a mistake sacking Pochettino'. While I wouldn't change a word to my post, even with hindsight, I realise it's may also look a tad... patronising, maybe, for lack of a better word? Hence the attempt at forced humour at the end of my message.

Personally, I'm betting on the Dortmund guy (Terzic, who happens to be a fellow countryman) but I'm looking forward to discussing his merits soon!

No, I didn't ever believe that was nailed on, albeit I did hope that getting rid of him would precipitate a bounce at least. Of course, being a supporter, I allowed myself to believe as long as possible, but seeing how players like Bergwijn, Reggie, Dele, Winks, Bale and even Sissoko had been effectively destroyed, I did not hold out a ton of hope.

I completely agree re: thread hijack and Poch. I have also repeatedly tried to move on, but frankly cannot resist retort when different rules apply. But I agree. It is done and has been done for some time.

I would greatly enjoy more insight as I am not wholly up on his achievements.

I ask saying such issues were widely, widely discussed and complained about by previous managers, they were not heard, people indeed got angry at the suggestion that the likes of Toby be sold or Grealish bought (I remember many saying they thought Grealish would be a poor signing) and at that. moment, it was all piled onto the manager. He was sacked at a point in the season where we could've still rebounded and done much had he been backed in the January window both with outgoings and incomings. Instead..."The Gamble". Which failed spectacularly despite the self-promotion. But the same judgement does not seem to apply...

p.s. I only copied back your reply to show, err, sarcasm as employed by your good self

Fair enough, as i have said elsewhere on several occasion i thought getting rid of Poch when we did was wrong, but unlike s ome i wanted Jose to do well because at the end of the day i do not really give a brick who our manager is as long as we start actually winning things. I had to accept " rent a quote" who was a bent bastard ( and that is being nice to him).

I don't think anyone claimed it was just a matter of getting rid of him. If we had've got rid of him a bit earlier and installed a permanent coach we might have got a bit of a bounce.
Having a stop gap with Mason made it a tough ask. A lot wanted the change in order to give a new coach some time to work with the squad before the summer and get a better idea of
what was needed.

That the players are not good enough and the blame was not with Mourinho. You have blasted Mourinho and defended the players to the hilt saying that they are good enough.

You even went as far as saying anyone could have done a better job.

Now it's that we needed more players ...

I've always said we needee better players.

1st port of call tho was a better manager than Mourinho who was a joker.

I thought you wanted to keep Levy?

I am not sure hindsight is necessary, someone just needed to be heard. Not as if he didn't say it and try to get it done a few times is it?

Yes, he needs to let someone do that job properly not half-arsed.

Was it your intention to run that 2-7 graphic as large as you did.
Did you go?
I did.
One of the most bizarre games I have ever seen.

I see that now the proportion of "luck" to "courage" and "bottle" in 2019 is firmly in favor of "luck"? I see. Of course we had some wild luck, absolutely, but 3-0 down to Ajax on aggregate at HT of the CL semi requires a little more than luck. As does coming out of the group with Barca having been smashed 4-2 at home.

Karma? We had a "serial winner" in charge for the last 16 against Dortmund. It was a double-whimper!
Apologies for my copy and pasting skills :D

The last CL match I attended was the €iteh quarter-final home leg but recall that Bayern game being as much of a freak result as the Spammers’ 3-3 earlier this season.

Hopefully Levy will prove to be lucky when choosing the right person to be our next manager whilst the Transfer Committee have the courage to replace all the furniture which has seen better days so that CL final appearance doesn’t prove to be lightning in a bottle!

I will happily hold my hand up as "some people" and as an admin you are more than free to call me out on that by name mate.

I stayed quiet for a long, long time, yet still Poch's name would get raised over and over (trolling no doubt - I have always had a hard time resisting or understanding trolling). Yet it is clear that the same rules of conversation and analysis do not apply consistently.

So I found that personally speaking, keeping my counsel here felt increasingly disingenuous.

I appreciate the irony you have pointed out, however I cannot change how I feel about it. What I COULD change is whether I express it or not. For sure.

The criticisms are simple and binary. I will spare you given how much they've been aired. My personal view is not binary, true, but expressing it only diminishes the truth if you want to twist it that way. Facts are facts, and sure, fudge the personal opinions, but I don't believe in excuses or free passes, and if that does not entertain or amuse you my friend, yes, let's enjoy discussing Potter's future work (I hope he gets it).

Best as always...

Don’t ever change mate, your points come with the best intentions and with humour.

I've always said we needee better players

Really? I thought you said that the squad was top 4 quality, and that putting anyone else in charge would result in an immediate upturn in both performances and results.

I could be mistaken though.

If it’s true that he’d already asked to leave then he made that decision way before “18 months of mediocrity”, and his recent comments about Jose suggest he backed him.

We were fudging brick before and we are fudging brick now.

Hate to break it to you but we wern't brick then and we aint brick now.

We are not as good as we were, but we are not as bad as we have been.

what has changed is your expectations. Of what you think is good and bad. You think you deserve more. You don't. If you don't like it stop paying.

Hate to break it to you but we wern't brick then and we aint brick now.

We are not as good as we were, but we are not as bad as we have been.

what has changed is your expectations. Of what you think is good and bad. You think you deserve more. You don't. If you don't like it stop paying.
We are distinctly average now if you take out the performances of Kane. The reason why some people are still disagreeing on the quality of the squad is because there is a difference between talent and mentality/drive. Some of the players just aren’t good enough full stop. But one of the biggest issues is we still have far too many players who were here 4-5 years ago - more than any other squad. These players went through massive hoops for Poch and you just can’t maintain that level for that long unless you are genuinely top class like Kane. It’s not that some of those players are bad players, it’s just that they have been here too long and got comfortable not pushing themselves - they need a change of scenery for themselves and for the club.....

Last edited:
Back