• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

What do you think I've said that those quotes go against? Don't think I've ever suggested we don't need leaders on the pitch

I remember you laying the blame solely at Mourinhos feet and saying that the players were good enough.

He failed mate. He failed because he was actually a bricky busted flush. I expected him to deliver, I bought it even though I hated the bloke, and he managed to fail spectacularly - twice. Never forget, he crashed out of the CL last season too (injuries, yeah, we've had those in previous seasons too). Again (and unreservedly) fudge him! :D

Yup, the fact that his star had fallen so much that Mourinho would risk his legacy on a squad which had been in relegation form for 9 months but he would have to try and do that without any of those trusted assistants from his heyday (will be interesting to see whether Pochettino is still working alongside Perez, D'Agostino and Jiménez in 20 years time) plus wouldn’t even have Campos there to help him replace the furniture…

Hopefully our next managerial team will have better success getting the best out of Ndombele et al but even Nicholson in his prime would’ve struggled to turn Eric Diarrhoea into the new Vertonghen I suspect!

54940196-A9DC-4F4F-B303-EF564A40AF1C.jpeg 7FDEF8D0-DAFE-4543-A15F-20F37B57D820.jpeg

I don't think it's weak minded, rather it's a generational thing. The argument about mourinho is usually that he can't manage gen-z players. Players who are a bit more emotionally intelligent than the old fashioned run through a brick wall type. Coaches of modern players need to use soft power, authoritarianism just doesn't work any more, bar with a few throwbacks (like Kane)

I don’t think it’s just Kane though. I think Son totally got it. I think PEH totally got it. I actually think Aurier got it. Tanguay got it after some tough love. Ben Davies got it. Reguillon got it.

Then there’s a group of players that want to blame somebody else, and I’m certain someone like Winks just did not get it at all.

No doubt managers that can offer a system, and an arm around the shoulder, they have their place in the game. But I think Jose’s point is, in finals when the pressure is on, it’s not about the system, it’s about executing well. If they can’t take a bit of criticism from him during the season, how can they be expected to fight for trophies? And he is the guy that wins trophies, where as our players even under Poch (one of my favourite people in the world) fell short. And that’s probably why Poch knew he needed better furniture too. Some players can handle the pressure and some players can’t.

There’s an interview recently with Poch talking about Mbappe. How he’s utterly obsessed with football, getting better. Mbappe clearly takes responsibility for his performances, and he has a supreme confidence. Jose would have absolutely no problem managing him. I’m sure of it.

For all of United’s ‘improvement’ since he left, they are still only matching his best finish and in the final of one of the competitions he won. They haven’t kicked on.

I remember you laying the blame solely at Mourinhos feet and saying that the players were good enough.

Good enough to do better than what Mourinho was getting out of them - which is still the case. Always said we need to improve the squad too.

Nuno is entirely the wrong decision for me. Can still finish as low as 14th below southampton and Palace.

I know several, including me have spoken postively on Potter and he's on course for a worse finish, but the Brighton vs Wolves squads are chalk and cheese. That's Nuno's team, he's spent 4 years crafting. Potter took over Brighton in 2019 so very different story before people throw that out.

Nuno is entirely the wrong decision for me. Can still finish as low as 14th below southampton and Palace.

I know several, including me have spoken postively on Potter and he's on course for a worse finish, but the Brighton vs Wolves squads are chalk and cheese. That's Nuno's team, he's spent 4 years crafting. Potter took over Brighton in 2019 so very different story before people throw that out.

Also Potter did remarkably well in Sweden dragging a pub team into Europe and winning things.

I dont know about that. Had Mourinho wanted 2 quality players that could have balanced the team out a bit more and brought in leaders vs getting 7 misfits .... just saying. Levy puts restrictions in place that don't need to be there. Perhaps Mourinho would have utilised the youth a bit more if his hand was forced providing he had top players to play alongside. We could have coped with:

------------------------- Lloris ---------------------------------
Aurier ------ Skirinar --------- Diaz ------------ Sessegnon
--------------- PEH ---------- GLC/Skipp --------------------
------ Moura-------------- Ndombele----------------- Son --
------------------------- Kane ----------------------------------

Agreed, there's players at the club that the managers never wanted.
That's on Levy.
The windows without players for instance in my mind is because poch was offered players said no, thinking that when the players HE wanted became available we'd have the money for them. Turns out not.
That's on Levy.
But it's not all levys fault, not Imho.
Life isn't black and white, every choice and decision is a roll of the dice.

I don’t think it’s just Kane though. I think Son totally got it. I think PEH totally got it. I actually think Aurier got it. Tanguay got it after some tough love. Ben Davies got it. Reguillon got it.

Then there’s a group of players that want to blame somebody else, and I’m certain someone like Winks just did not get it at all.

No doubt managers that can offer a system, and an arm around the shoulder, they have their place in the game. But I think Jose’s point is, in finals when the pressure is on, it’s not about the system, it’s about executing well. If they can’t take a bit of criticism from him during the season, how can they be expected to fight for trophies? And he is the guy that wins trophies, where as our players even under Poch (one of my favourite people in the world) fell short. And that’s probably why Poch knew he needed better furniture too. Some players can handle the pressure and some players can’t.

There’s an interview recently with Poch talking about Mbappe. How he’s utterly obsessed with football, getting better. Mbappe clearly takes responsibility for his performances, and he has a supreme confidence. Jose would have absolutely no problem managing him. I’m sure of it.

For all of United’s ‘improvement’ since he left, they are still only matching his best finish and in the final of one of the competitions he won. They haven’t kicked on.

Why have son, hojbjerg, regulion and ndombele all gone off massive cliffs this last 6 months too?

The only 2 players in our squad who survived mourinho intact were Kane and lloris. The other 28 all fell into destroyed confidence and poor conditioning

I've already said who i'd like and santos isn't on the list. But wolves have a smaller wage budget than brighton, yet are higher in the table.

Really, I could think of multiple reasons

- That point in contract saved us a payout (Jose was on £15m/yr), maybe timing saved us £30M, in Covid times that is a lot of money
- Maybe the players had enough? and they went to Levy
- Maybe they both worked something out (with Roma job tied up so quickly)
- Maybe we did have someone and they backed out

There are lots of potential reasons, but none of us know, we don't have inside info

Don't know = oh well, it's obvious he's just an idiot.
Could be any of the above.... including that he is just an idiot. I suspect though that it was that it saved us a few million quid - or saved us a few million from what it would've cost if we'd actually have won the Cup (which was a very slim chance anyway). I suspect a few million quid is more important to Daniel Levy than the League Cup.

Why have son, hojbjerg, regulion and ndombele all gone off massive cliffs this last 6 months too?

The only 2 players in our squad who survived mourinho intact were Kane and lloris. The other 28 all fell into destroyed confidence and poor conditioning

I don’t know. Maybe the disunity in the squad was helping nobody in the end?

I will always be fascinated in what happened after we went too. The Liverpool game where we contrived to throw it away. Maybe the players were told some home truths after that performance and it led to a slide? I’m really not sure.

This conditioning thing I think is a bit of a red herring used to beat Jose with. He doesn’t set up his teams to press for 90 mins, he sets them up to attack when we need goals and defend when we don’t. The fitness is tuned accordingly, it’s not bad or good, it’s a strategic trade off and one of the benefits is the lack of injuries we suffered.

As for destroyed confidence...these should be elite players if they are fighting for the title. It should be impossible for a bit of criticism to destroy it.

I would have thought in the period since his sacking, there would have been a softening on views about Jose and the wrongs he supposedly did to the club, it's rep, the players, the pitch and the tea ladies confidence.

5 points off 4th and a cup final was it? Kane banging them in (despite his lack of tactics I'm told)

To me it's looking like his time at Utd when he said finishing 2nd was his best achievement, after he left people realised.
How much longer at Man Utd did it take to get rid of Woodward?

Poor conditioning? At one point we had played 10 odd more games than anyone in Europe. Hojberg has looked tired for some time. Reguilon is a new player in the league and will take more than a season to adapt. Ndomble has always had questions about his fitness and application. Next.

But again, that's not Potters team right, joined May 2019.

So we don't know if he can build a team. Which will be needed. All we know is that he has achieved par with brighton by not getting them relegated. Santos finishes above where wolves would be expected to finish.

He’s an awful appointment. On a list of potential managers I’d like at the club...well he wouldn’t even be on the list

Back