• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Replacing Kane will be as problematic as replacing Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale, and King. We could get a quality striker such as Ings to partially fill the gap, but he doesn't score as many as Harry not does he have all the other qualities that Kane brings to the squad. Kane is our only genuine world class player. I don't begrudge him a move but I will still be gutted if and when he goes. So the new manager will be on the immediate back foot. What a shame Mourinho was such a waste of an appointment. Big mistake by DL although understandable. Shows for me he needs a DOF to make football decisions.
Mourinho wasn't a waste of an appointment. Those who refuse to learn will make the same mistakes. Jose's time is a pointer to the key issues with Spurs. If we like, let us appoint another manager and we treat him the way we treated Jose and we refuse to deal with the issues - we will end up in the same boat.

I'm still hoping for Rodgers tbh... slim chance now that it looks like Pool are getting 4th. He isn't going to say anything other than he's happy while the season is still in progress and there's still something to play for.

They haven't been properly coached in about 2 years and Mason is only a stop gap. We're not going to see any improvement until a proper coach has spent time with them.
How much that improvement will be is the unknown.
What is this rubbish about the players not being coached? Is this a way of saying Jose wasn't coaching the players? Really!

Where is this crap coming from!! Spurs problem is not with coaching the players. Achtung!

Mourinho wasn't a waste of an appointment. Those who refuse to learn will make the same mistakes. Jose's time is a pointer to the key issues with Spurs. If we like, let us appoint another manager and we treat him the way we treated Jose and we refuse to deal with the issues - we will end up in the same boat.
I agree with most of that, but nevertheless Mourinho wasn't the right fit for our club given that his skill is mostly spending big to build a team as opposed to coaching existing players. It was certainly a waste of Harry, as we threw away a cup final and any chance of getting top 4.

What is this rubbish about the players not being coached? Is this a way of saying Jose wasn't coaching the players? Really!

Where is this crap coming from!! Spurs problem is not with coaching the players. Achtung!
It's not rubbish, the evidence can be seen on the pitch. The players fitness is a level or two below where it used to be and we have no attacking plan or proper identity that would be there after proper coaching. For the last two years we're like a bunch of individuals thrown onto the pitch together trying to work it out as they go along.

Yet more evidence of us being appallingly organised from the very top. Why sack Mourinho with nobody lined up?
Mourinho had to go, he was poison. 5 or 6 games under Mason isn't going to make much difference one way or the other. Personally I would've tried to get Redknapp in for the last few games and try and lift spirits, but it's not the most important thing, getting the next appointment right is.

I'd be very surprised if Levy doesn't appoint a DOF. We need a whole new backline plus a replacement for Harry, and Levy must see that his own ability to select the right players and move on the deadwood, is limited. Will it be a DOF plus manager that he knows? Or DOF plus coach?

I'd be very surprised if Levy doesn't appoint a DOF. We need a whole new backline plus a replacement for Harry, and Levy must see that his own ability to select the right players and move on the deadwood, is limited. Will it be a DOF plus manager that he knows? Or DOF plus coach?

It should be a DOF full stop. Then let the DOF get on with appointing the manager/coach or whoever. Assuming he’s learnt from the Santini farce.

But for balance let's compare their first seasons
Poch Southampton 38 15 11 12 54 46 +8 56
Potter Brighton 38 9 14 15 39 54 −15 41
The difference between the two is more stark here. It's why I cannot understand push for Potter. He's not really improved Brighton from where Hughton left them. Would prefer Chris Wilder tbh.

The key thing with Potter is that people think his team performances have been way better than the results suggest, at least this season. I.e. they create loads of chances, but don't take them because of the quality of their forwards. Partly I think that's based on people watching Brighton with their own eyes. But also if you're the kind of person who takes any notice of xG, they're 5th in the league based on quality of chances for and against:

upload_2021-5-20_12-23-32.png

But for balance let's compare their first seasons
Poch Southampton 38 15 11 12 54 46 +8 56
Potter Brighton 38 9 14 15 39 54 −15 41
The difference between the two is more stark here. It's why I cannot understand push for Potter. He's not really improved Brighton from where Hughton left them. Would prefer Chris Wilder tbh.

For Potter to improve Brighton he needs better players. I'd say he's done a brilliant job changing their style while keeping them competitive. Their squad doesn't even begin to compare to what Poch had at Southampton.

It's not rubbish, the evidence can be seen on the pitch. The players fitness is a level or two below where it used to be and we have no attacking plan or proper identity that would be there after proper coaching. For the last two years we're like a bunch of individuals thrown onto the pitch together trying to work it out as they go along.

This is a joke right. The evidence is there on the pitch? Pochettino relied more on fitness than Jose so that was expected. No attacking plan or identity? I don't think that is true. I think it is truer to say some people were not happy with Jose's style of play or tactics. I think it is truer to say that some people weren't happy with how Jose treated some of our players (in my own opinion I was fine with it). To claim that he didn't do coaching is false. Ditto for your last line.

For Potter to improve Brighton he needs better players. I'd say he's done a brilliant job changing their style while keeping them competitive. Their squad doesn't even begin to compare to what Poch had at Southampton.
Er I think you are rewriting history. Southampton didn't have a great squad when Poch took them over. They finished on 41 points the previous season.

Poch made them fitter and play within a defined football system. That improved the teams play, results improved and the transfer values of those players tripled. That might have given the impression of a great squad. Which of those great squad of players have then had a good career on leaving Southampton?

Potter has spent money introduced a new system and has made a marginal improvement on Hughton. Forget this obsession with xg and look at points on the board. Can you tell me he has a worse squad than Chris Wilder did last season? How many players would you want from Burnley's squad who Sean Dyche has managed brilliantly and more successfully than Potter? The mark of a good manager, especially one who wants to manage Spurs, is one who coached his squad to be better than its individual parts. Not who has them achieving par.

Potter has a lot more to prove for me, before taking over a club with our aspirations.

Mourinho had to go, he was poison. 5 or 6 games under Mason isn't going to make much difference one way or the other. Personally I would've tried to get Redknapp in for the last few games and try and lift spirits, but it's not the most important thing, getting the next appointment right is.
Getting every appointment right is important. This one has probably cost us European football next year and taken another chunk of revenue away. When Mourinho was suddenly sacked I thought 'great, there must be somebody lined up'. It is now looking more likely that Levy did it because paying Jose a smaller outgoing fee was more important to him than winning the League Cup.

Getting every appointment right is important. This one has probably cost us European football next year and taken another chunk of revenue away. When Mourinho was suddenly sacked I thought 'great, there must be somebody lined up'. It is now looking more likely that Levy did it because paying Jose a smaller outgoing fee was more important to him than winning the League Cup.
When Mourinho was sacked we was 5 points off top 4 having got most of the more difficult fixtures out of the way and in a cup final. Look where we are now....

The key thing with Potter is that people think his team performances have been way better than the results suggest, at least this season. I.e. they create loads of chances, but don't take them because of the quality of their forwards. Partly I think that's based on people watching Brighton with their own eyes. But also if you're the kind of person who takes any notice of xG, they're 5th in the league based on quality of chances for and against:

View attachment 11877

Potter's biggest attraction being his imaginary goals ratio which would have him fifth in an imaginary league is not reassuring, tbh.

Potter's biggest attraction being his imaginary goals ratio which would have him fifth in an imaginary league is not reassuring, tbh.
The goals are largely irrelevant due to the lack of striker quality it's how his players look well-drilled and game aware.
Go and watch them they are organised and work to a system.

Back