• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Will green shoots be enough though?
I look at the squad and on paper see a lot of promise, plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
Then i look at results and performances over the last four years and realise just how jekyll and Hyde or club are.
The right manager can galvanise this club, get it working together and progressing.
However some tough, and potentially unpopular, decisions may need to be made and i can see us going backwards before we go forward, i worry there is an adverse reaction and it all sours quickly.

Personally I think a noticable shift to passing/possession football, the inclusion of some younger more energetic players like Sarr, Spence and Udogie, and people will except the odd duff result. We’ve had 3.5 years of spirit-crushing torture. Anything positive and showing a correct direction of travel should be well received.

Neither Mourinho or Conte (or Nuno) were under pressure right away for not being Poch, it wasn't until results and performances went south and it looked like neither were the right man for the job at hand that people started to talk about replacements - if we don't go with him in the summer he'll likely be employed next season anyway so the issue becomes moot.

Things seemed to be on an upward curve then, though. I think a lot of the fan base feel differently after the last four years. Agree on it making a difference if he is in a job.

Agree on that. It's the run of four or five that might quickly cause problems given the current feelings of a chunk of the fanbase.

That won't happen though. We start from the baseline of having the 3rd or 4th best squad in the league, so we're never going to fall that far.

It was stressful as hell and we nearly lost.

Anyone who says they enjoyed that match is lying.
I really enjoyed when the ref went to check the screen after Llorente scored, took a look and pointed to his hip.
Then I enjoyed it even more when sterling's injury time winner was ruled out for offside!
It felt fuxking amazing! Watching Pep run down the touchline, celebrating like a madman, and all for nothing, made it even sweeter! An absolutely delightful evening of football, that I have enjoyed watching back countless times!

Will green shoots be enough though?
I look at the squad and on paper see a lot of promise, plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
Then i look at results and performances over the last four years and realise just how jekyll and Hyde or club are.
The right manager can galvanise this club, get it working together and progressing.
However some tough, and potentially unpopular, decisions may need to be made and i can see us going backwards before we go forward, i worry there is an adverse reaction and it all sours quickly.

I think just installing a system which enables the team to be greater than the sum of the parts, and playing a more entertaining system, would be a massive step forward

At the moment my thinking/preference is:

1) Poch. The outstanding candidate. Proven at the highest level, proven to work within our limits and expectations. Will heal the club

2) Gallardo. Very Poch like personality and tactically. Proven at the highest level (copa libertadores winner) over an extended period.

3) De Zerbi. Sassuolo have been one of the most exciting and progressive clubs in the world over the past few years. Promising start at Brighton, but it’s an easy setup. Seem to have the combination of man management and tactical acumen.

Then I’m not really sold on Nagelsman and Enrique. They are big names, but I don’t think they are the right fit. Nagelsman has man management issues and seems a bit AVB. While Enrique has been pretty mediocre apart from within the Barca infrastructure.

Then I’m not really sold on Slot, Kompany or Carrick. They are too junior/inexperienced and are likely to struggle with the step up. Over the years the likes of Frank de Boer and Scott Parker have been held in similar regard and equivalent career stages, and we all saw how they turned out.
I agree with most of that. I do really like De Zerbi but I have largely disregarded him as I think he is largely unattainable unless we are willing to pay a shed load of compensation. I think comparisons with Potter and Chelsea are wide of the mark with this guy as he seems quite different and is far more offensively minded (without losing the defensive solidity).

I agree with most of that. I do really like De Zerbi but I have largely disregarded him as I think he is largely unattainable unless we are willing to pay a shed load of compensation. I think comparisons with Potter and Chelsea are wide of the mark with this guy as he seems quite different and is far more offensively minded (without losing the defensive solidity).
Would be interesting to see De Zerbi managing Chelsea with no strikers

I really enjoyed when the ref went to check the screen after Llorente scored, took a look and pointed to his hip.
Then I enjoyed it even more when sterling's injury time winner was ruled out for offside!
It felt fuxking amazing! Watching Pep run down the touchline, celebrating like a madman, and all for nothing, made it even sweeter! An absolutely delightful evening of football, that I have enjoyed watching back countless times!
Was horrible being there
Although the elation at the end was only topped at Ajax

Would be interesting to see De Zerbi managing Chelsea with no strikers
He has no strikers at Brighton though and yet they are 4th highest scorers, most shots on target in the PL. He just packs the box. That's not to say that Potter is not a good coach. But he will have to rebuild his reputation now after his stint with the Chavs.

Agree on that. It's the run of four or five that might quickly cause problems given the current feelings of a chunk of the fanbase.
If De zerbi or Nagelsmann came in, because of their reputations, I think most fans would accept a few bad results as they know what these managers can do. I fear more for Kompany or Slot who do not have stellar managerial reputations. Most fans were behind Conte, ( I had my reservations) when he first arrived. It's been his attitude towards tournaments and overly defensive football that has done for him and the fan base rather than a great yearning for Poch. Same largely with Jose.

He has no strikers at Brighton though and yet they are 4th highest scorers, most shots on target in the PL. He just packs the box. That's not to say that Potter is not a good coach. But he will have to rebuild his reputation now after his stint with the Chavs.
He has no strikers….
We’re rumoured to want to buy one of the Brighton ones
He has more strikers now than what potter had at Chelsea

If De zerbi or Nagelsmann came in, because of their reputations, I think most fans would accept a few bad results as they know what these managers can do. I fear more for Kompany or Slot who do not have stellar managerial reputations. Most fans were behind Conte, ( I had my reservations) when he first arrived. It's been his attitude towards tournaments and overly defensive football that has done for him and the fan base rather than a great yearning for Poch. Same largely with Jose.
It’s was his lack of flexibility that hurt him
He isn’t the first manager to not focus on the cups his insistence on playing the same players in the same system is what cost him

At the moment my thinking/preference is:

1) Poch. The outstanding candidate. Proven at the highest level, proven to work within our limits and expectations. Will heal the club

2) Gallardo. Very Poch like personality and tactically. Proven at the highest level (copa libertadores winner) over an extended period.

3) De Zerbi. Sassuolo have been one of the most exciting and progressive clubs in the world over the past few years. Promising start at Brighton, but it’s an easy setup. Seem to have the combination of man management and tactical acumen.

Then I’m not really sold on Nagelsman and Enrique. They are big names, but I don’t think they are the right fit. Nagelsman has man management issues and seems a bit AVB. While Enrique has been pretty mediocre apart from within the Barca infrastructure.

Then I’m not really sold on Slot, Kompany or Carrick. They are too junior/inexperienced and are likely to struggle with the step up. Over the years the likes of Frank de Boer and Scott Parker have been held in similar regard and equivalent career stages, and we all saw how they turned out.
Poch's player purchases are most definitely not proven at any level! He is also not proven at the highest level - that would be someone who has won a major (competitive) league or tournament. Okay, none of the candidates have (bar Gallardo?), but let's not exaggerate. What Poch has got in his favour is he knows the club and chairman, but I still feel he needs to nurture a new young team (with players identified by someone else) to get back to where we were with him, and then keep on nurturing with a conveyor belt of youth that constantly refresh the squad from burnout, rather than demanding so called players from the top shelf.

Poch's player purchases are most definitely not proven at any level! He is also not proven at the highest level - that would be someone who has won a major (competitive) league or tournament. Okay, none of the candidates have (bar Gallardo?), but let's not exaggerate. What Poch has got in his favour is he knows the club and chairman, but I still feel he needs to nurture a new young team (with players identified by someone else) to get back to where we were with him, and then keep on nurturing with a conveyor belt of youth that constantly refresh the squad from burnout, rather than demanding so called players from the top shelf.

I didn't know Poch purchased players. I thought he worked under 4 different effective DoFs (Baldini, Planes, Mitchell, Hitchin)

And do we not have a new young team? Romero, Spence, Udogie, Skipp, Sarr, Bentancur, Bissouma, Kulu, Gil, Richarlison are all 25 or under, and only Skipp has been coached by Poch before.

I didn't know Poch purchased players. I thought he worked under 4 different effective DoFs (Baldini, Planes, Mitchell, Hitchin)

And do we not have a new young team? Romero, Spence, Udogie, Skipp, Sarr, Bentancur, Bissouma, Kulu, Gil, Richarlison are all 25 or under, and only Skipp has been coached by Poch before.
Yes, the point I'm making is it can't grow stale and knackered, like he and his old team did, and he can't start expecting world class players, keep the youth coming through.

Well do not hold your breath for that to happen, some fans will start moaning as soon as they see a couple of bad results. Especially the macarons on T wa tter. And guess who there bile will be aimed at.
The fans don’t really matter, it is the chairman who sacks managers when the miss/look like they might miss the Champions League.

Need to keep the DoF model, keep Poch away from transfers and just let him coach which is his strength.

Baldini was the only one of those that was DoF. Poch was part of the committee that purchased players, Ndombele and Lo Celso were the players he wanted.
Not laying all the blame at Pochs door, but if Paratici is staying then it should be both sticking to the areas where they are good (obviously needs some communication about type of player that should be a priority etc)

Back