• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I think I'd be happy with either Slot or Kompany. I wasn't originally sold on Kompany but I think he seems the kind of character that could galvanise players and get them running through brick walls for him. He was also a top defender so should be able to improve us defensively. Added to the fact he seems to have made Burnley attractive to watch which is a clear change from where they were before and I can see some positives.

Who knows though.. by next week both Kompany and Slot will probably rule themselves out and commit to staying and we'll work our way down to the Jesse Marsch's!

I think I'd be happy with either Slot or Kompany. I wasn't originally sold on Kompany but I think he seems the kind of character that could galvanise players and get them running through brick walls for him. He was also a top defender so should be able to improve us defensively. Added to the fact he seems to have made Burnley attractive to watch which is a clear change from where they were before and I can see some positives.

Who knows though.. by next week both Kompany and Slot will probably rule themselves out and commit to staying and we'll work our way down to the Jesse Marsch's!
I actually think marsch at the right club could be good
We ain’t that club
But I do think we win a risk of a manager ruling themselves out
My only comment would be that maybe they ain’t the right fit for us if so…

Pinch of salt and all that....

Trix
I'm fairly sure it's between 3 now. De Zerbi, Nagelsmann and Enrique are not currently in the running from what I'm hearing. Whether that's because we've crossed them off, they have, or they were never in contention I don't know, but if I had to put my money anywhere right now it would be split between Slot and Kompany.

Enrique more or less said that he wouldnt be interested in the Spurs job a couple weeks ago. Personally I dont want Nagelsmann given that I believe there is a significant risk of the same issue with Conte and Mourinho in that it felt that they thought they were doing us a favour and that the club was beneath them

I still think Poch is the right man and not because of some nostalgic/romantic view, but simply as I dont see a better, more qualified man for the job. He would want to be at Spurs, he could realistically stay for 5+ years, his teams play good football, he's coached big teams and is lower risk than many options.

I'm not sure who else offers that combination. de Zerbi, Slot, Kompany could all be great appointments but I believe are higher risk than Poch

All that is ever important in a league season is where you finish in the table.
It's not, actually. It's what the underlying performance data indicates. Looking at the position in the table is very superficial. Brighton finished 16th in 20/21, but their performance was good enough for 5th, so they stuck with Potter. Brentford didn't renew Warburton's contract, even though he had got them promoted into the Championship the previous year and had them finish 5th in the Championship in 2015, because the underlying performance data indicated it was more due to luck than good coaching. In this day and age any club that looks only at the table as an indicator of how good a job the manager is doing in the league, is not evaluating the right things.

Last edited:
The Dutch league is quite a lot weaker than it was 20 years ago when Jol was managing there. Have you ever seen the general quality of the defending in particular? It's a bit sunday league.
Yeah, but it's not like Slot is winning with Messi, Benzema, and Kane in his team. He is also working with lower level players. So in relative terms he is doing exceptional. And in Europe where the competition is tougher he is doing alright too.

I’ve come around to the idea of Poch coming back.

I think it’s a definite risk from a footballing perspective (some of the issues he faced last time remain; the press will be all over any signs of him ‘failing’ again, and will pursue that narrative if given half a chance) but the club needs to be healed more than anything else at the moment, and he is best placed to do that. I also think that anyone else appointed will be under huge pressure from the start, simply because they’re not Poch.

Failing that, I’d be happy for us to take a bit of a gamble on Kompany.

I also think that anyone else appointed will be under huge pressure from the start, simply because they’re not Poch.

Apologies for isolating the bolded part but I think that would be a terrible reason to hire him. It’s like we’d have to set aside appointing anyone else in favour of getting the sentimental choice out of the way first just to appease the fans.
If he’s the best candidate on his own merits (and maybe he is) then great but if there’s someone who could potentially be better - and there isn’t a single no-risk appointment out there, including Poch - then I’m all for someone new (but that’s my nature).

Probably not, but £6M-£8M? (still 3X/4X his current)
While I think that would work for some managers (Slot for example) I don't think it would necessarily be the biggest consideration for Vincent Kompany. He would've earned an absolute fortune in his playing career and can afford to take the right offer in terms of having realistic expectations aligned to resources a as opposed to just accepting a large pay cheque.

I think it’s a definite risk from a footballing perspective (some of the issues he faced last time remain; the press will be all over any signs of him ‘failing’ again, and will pursue that narrative if given half a chance) but the club needs to be healed more than anything else at the moment, and he is best placed to do that. I also think that anyone else appointed will be under huge pressure from the start, simply because they’re not Poch.

At this point I think most fans are aware of the potential of the managers we are likely considering (Slot, Kompany, Nagelsmann, Poch) and, more importantly, also understand we need a rebuild and patience before we see results. So I don't think there will be huge pressure from the start. I think the fans will be fine as long as they start seeing some level of improvement, even if the results aren't there yet. Provided that's the case, the pressure probably won't start building until their 2nd season.

At this point I think most fans are aware of the potential of the managers we are likely considering (Slot, Kompany, Nagelsmann, Poch) and, more importantly, also understand we need a rebuild and patience before we see results. So I don't think there will be huge pressure from the start. I think the fans will be fine as long as they start seeing some level of improvement, even if the results aren't there yet. Provided that's the case, the pressure probably won't start building until their 2nd season.
I admire your optimism. But some of these fans are the same fans that boo our players and slate them so hard they have to shut down their social media.

I hope you’re right, but too many in our fanbase are too vocal and negative in their responses.

At the moment my thinking/preference is:

1) Poch. The outstanding candidate. Proven at the highest level, proven to work within our limits and expectations. Will heal the club

2) Gallardo. Very Poch like personality and tactically. Proven at the highest level (copa libertadores winner) over an extended period.

3) De Zerbi. Sassuolo have been one of the most exciting and progressive clubs in the world over the past few years. Promising start at Brighton, but it’s an easy setup. Seem to have the combination of man management and tactical acumen.

Then I’m not really sold on Nagelsman and Enrique. They are big names, but I don’t think they are the right fit. Nagelsman has man management issues and seems a bit AVB. While Enrique has been pretty mediocre apart from within the Barca infrastructure.

Then I’m not really sold on Slot, Kompany or Carrick. They are too junior/inexperienced and are likely to struggle with the step up. Over the years the likes of Frank de Boer and Scott Parker have been held in similar regard and equivalent career stages, and we all saw how they turned out.

Hmmm. Not sure that I agree. Simply appointing a new manager isn’t going to entirely quell the dissatisfaction felt about various elements of the club by many fans. 5 or 6 poor results in a row and I’d be pretty confident the ‘He’s magic, you know’ chant would be getting an airing.

At the moment my thinking/preference is:

1) Poch. The outstanding candidate. Proven at the highest level, proven to work within our limits and expectations. Will heal the club

2) Gallardo. Very Poch like personality and tactically. Proven at the highest level (copa libertadores winner) over an extended period.

3) De Zerbi. Sassuolo have been one of the most exciting and progressive clubs in the world over the past few years. Promising start at Brighton, but it’s an easy setup. Seem to have the combination of man management and tactical acumen.

Then I’m not really sold on Nagelsman and Enrique. They are big names, but I don’t think they are the right fit. Nagelsman has man management issues and seems a bit AVB. While Enrique has been pretty mediocre apart from within the Barca infrastructure.

Then I’m not really sold on Slot, Kompany or Carrick. They are too junior/inexperienced and are likely to struggle with the step up. Over the years the likes of Frank de Boer and Scott Parker have been held in similar regard and equivalent career stages, and we all saw how they turned out.

For me it's either poch or slot.
My big concern is that whoever comes in will need time and backing.
We all know the upsides of poch, downside is the expectation that he will turn it around very quickly.
Similar with slot, the talk of his achievements and front foot style of play sounds great.
but this is a merciless league and for us to go from the turgid, low block counter to the front foot football of slot or poch will take a lot of time on the training ground.
Not convinced they will get that time if results don't go their way.

For me it's either poch or slot.
My big concern is that whoever comes in will need time and backing.
We all know the upsides of poch, downside is the expectation that he will turn it around very quickly.
Similar with slot, the talk of his achievements and front foot style of play sounds great.
but this is a merciless league and for us to go from the turgid, low block counter to the front foot football of slot or poch will take a lot of time on the training ground.
Not convinced they will get that time if results don't go their way.

Poch managed to get green shoots showing by mid-October back in 2014. Switching Capoue, Paulinho and (temporarily) Dembele out of CM and using Mason and Bentaleb instead to give us a much quicker transition. He also got us playing a higher line, even with Fazio as one of the CB.

I worry about Slot's gung-ho-ness against decent defences. Any Janssen can score 5 a match against Dutch league defences. But attacking in the EPL is much more about pulling teams out of shape through co-ordinated movement. I'm not sure his approach so far will translate, so we'd need to see how he could modify his style.

Well do not hold your breath for that to happen, some fans will start moaning as soon as they see a couple of bad results. Especially the macarons on T wa tter. And guess who there bile will be aimed at.

Poch managed to get green shoots showing by mid-October back in 2014. Switching Capoue, Paulinho and (temporarily) Dembele out of CM and using Mason and Bentaleb instead to give us a much quicker transition. He also got us playing a higher line, even with Fazio as one of the CB.

I worry about Slot's gung-ho-ness against decent defences. Any Janssen can score 5 a match against Dutch league defences. But attacking in the EPL is much more about pulling teams out of shape through co-ordinated movement. I'm not sure his approach so far will translate, so we'd need to see how he could modify his style.

Will green shoots be enough though?
I look at the squad and on paper see a lot of promise, plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
Then i look at results and performances over the last four years and realise just how jekyll and Hyde or club are.
The right manager can galvanise this club, get it working together and progressing.
However some tough, and potentially unpopular, decisions may need to be made and i can see us going backwards before we go forward, i worry there is an adverse reaction and it all sours quickly.

Neither Mourinho or Conte (or Nuno) were under pressure right away for not being Poch, it wasn't until results and performances went south and it looked like neither were the right man for the job at hand that people started to talk about replacements - if we don't go with him in the summer he'll likely be employed next season anyway so the issue becomes moot.

Back