• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Levy (the boss) completely failed to provide any backing or support to his Senior long serving Foreman or the Machine. Despite this Poch got us to the ridiculous position of the CL Final.
When all the cogs on machine were worn out.

Then Levy blame Poch for the poor performance of the machine and sacked him for not maintaining the same quality of output.

The stakeholders (fans) accepted the decision as they looked forward to the promise of a new superior Foreman and a better machine in shinny new factory.

The new Foreman didn't understand the product and thought he new what was needed more than everyone else....he didn't last long...and a new machine never materialize...

So the Boss hired another big name Foreman....he had a look around and blamed everyone for being incompetent and began shouting at the Boss and waited to be asked to leave with his severance pay.

Now the Boss is all alone in his shiny new factory wondering what to do.

The Stakeholders are not happy and are beginning to ask for answers....

I agree with the jist of your post, however I don't think poch was sacked because of results.
For me it was that he and levy had a fundamentally different view on where the club went from at that point in time and more importantly how they got there.
A rebuild was needed, a season out of Europe was a possibility, top four unlikely and i don't think Levy was willing to sanction the cost of a rebuild without those incoming funds.
Levy thought we could do it with the core of the squad we had, hence jose.

Give Slot another week or 2 then he’ll have taken Feyenoord to a league title. Slightly better than anything Jol had done I would say.
Also about Emery, it’s easy to be wise in hindsight (and also to jump to conclusions too quickly) but if we’d hired Emery I doubt if it would’ve gone down too well with a lot of our supporters.
Jol took an unfancied team Roda FC, I think, and won the Dutch cup with them. Feynoord are multiple Erividisie winners and the second or third biggest team in Holland. I don't think winning the Erividisie on its own will convince me, after all, Steve McLaren did it with FC Twente and Frank DB won it multiple times. Win the Europa league this season and I think that will be a major achievement. If you read the papers, take that as you will, then our competition to sign him are Crystal Palace and West Ham. I don't think he has proven himself yet. In any case I think Levy, for better or worse, may want someone with a higher profile in football.

As for Emery and the fan base, I don't think there would have been much of a problem. We appointed 3 former Chelsea managers including their "Special one." Emery had been sacked, unfairly imo, by that mob. He has something to prove in the PL. Of course it's a moot point now.

I agree with the jist of your post, however I don't think poch was sacked because of results.
For me it was that he and levy had a fundamentally different view on where the club went from at that point in time and more importantly how they got there.
A rebuild was needed, a season out of Europe was a possibility, top four unlikely and i don't think Levy was willing to sanction the cost of a rebuild without those incoming funds.
Levy thought we could do it with the core of the squad we had, hence jose.
If course if I want to give Levy the benefit of the doubt, it could have been that he looked at Pochettino and thought this guy looks exhausted and I don't think he has anything left in the tank. He would know as he worked closely with Poch.

But I agree, if you look at the full picture rather than just some selective stats in isolation, the footballing case for sacking Poch was flimsy. The folly of social media, is that if you look hard enough there is a stat on anything. You can take any semi plausible premise and using out of context stats to back it up, amplify it and create a narrative that others who feel the same way or have slight doubts will buy.

Last edited:
Give Slot another week or 2 then he’ll have taken Feyenoord to a league title. Slightly better than anything Jol had done I would say.
Also about Emery, it’s easy to be wise in hindsight (and also to jump to conclusions too quickly) but if we’d hired Emery I doubt if it would’ve gone down too well with a lot of our supporters.

The Dutch league is quite a lot weaker than it was 20 years ago when Jol was managing there. Have you ever seen the general quality of the defending in particular? It's a bit sunday league.

I think appointing Poch will all end in tears but there will also be a cloud hanging over us until he does come back, everyone will be judged against him.

The squad is so different now, we had a great group of players all coming into their prime who were prepared to work hard, press etc. Of those players left from his era I doubt any of them can play that game anymore so unless we're going to embark on the famous rebuild I don't see it working out. Even then it's only 50/50 for me. I think we need to move on personally.

Pinch of salt and all that....

Trix
I'm fairly sure it's between 3 now. De Zerbi, Nagelsmann and Enrique are not currently in the running from what I'm hearing. Whether that's because we've crossed them off, they have, or they were never in contention I don't know, but if I had to put my money anywhere right now it would be split between Slot and Kompany.

It wouldnt have but his record everywhere he has been is very very goodn

Trix
I'm fairly sure it's between 3 now. De Zerbi, Nagelsmann and Enrique are not currently in the running from what I'm hearing. Whether that's because we've crossed them off, they have, or they were never in contention I don't know, but if I had to put my money anywhere right now it would be split between Slot and Kompany.
The same slot that has a big release clause
And Kompany who may or may not have just committed himself to Burnley

If course if I want to give Levy the benefit of the doubt, it could have been that he looked at Pochettino and thought this guy looks exhausted and I don't think he has anything left in the tank. He would know as he worked closely with Poch.

But I agree, if you look at the full picture rather than just some selective stats in isolation, the footballing case for sacking Poch was flimsy. The folly of social media, is that if you look hard enough there is a stat on anything. You can take any semi plausible premise and using out of context stats to back it up, amplify it and create a narrative that others who feel the same way or have slight doubts will buy.

Would poch have been so exhausted if levy wasn't resisting him on the painful rebuild?

Jol took an unfancied team Roda FC, I think, and won the Dutch cup with them. Feynoord are multiple Erividisie winners and the second or third biggest team in Holland. I don't think winning the Erividisie on its own will convince me, after all, Steve McLaren did it with FC Twente and Frank DB won it multiple times. Win the Europa league this season and I think that will be a major achievement. If you read the papers, take that as you will, then our competition to sign him are Crystal Palace and West Ham. I don't think he has proven himself yet. In any case I think Levy, for better or worse, may want someone with a higher profile in football.

As for Emery and the fan base, I don't think there would have been much of a problem. We appointed 3 former Chelsea managers including their "Special one." Emery had been sacked, unfairly imo, by that mob. He has something to prove in the PL. Of course it's a moot point now.

Outside of the CL look at the teams that have been to a European final, not exactly the cream rising to the top.
Rangers have done very well in Europe recently, got to a final, won a title and a domestic cup, anyone serious about appointing Gerrard or van bronckhorst?
No, didn't think so.
No harm to slot but his appointment is not exactly minimising the risk.

Trix

I would be in favour of Nagelsmann, don't really buy in to the negatives that some are putting forward as concerns with him, but happy if we are not looking at the other two

Trix
All this guy ever does is post whatever the media are saying. Enrique and Nagelsman prefer Chelsea and Kompany and Slot are ones being spoken about as possibles way more in the media.

This guys knows absolutely nothing as he proves time and time again:D....

Outside of the CL look at the teams that have been to a European final, not exactly the cream rising to the top.
Rangers have done very well in Europe recently, got to a final, won a title and a domestic cup, anyone serious about appointing Gerrard or van bronckhorst?
No, didn't think so.
No harm to slot but his appointment is not exactly minimising the risk.
Any appointment we make will have to be a risky one.... The demand from the Chairman is 4th place on the 6th highest budget. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine increase their budget above ours as they will eventually do (just a question of how fast) then I doubt expectation will adjust down it will instead become 4th place on the 7th highest budget. There isn't really a manager out there who has proven they can do that in the PL (other than Pochettino) so we have to take somebody who appears to have overachieved somewhere in Europe and gamble on them working similar magic in the PL.

Any appointment we make will have to be a risky one.... The demand from the Chairman is 4th place on the 6th highest budget. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine increase their budget above ours as they will eventually do (just a question of how fast) then I doubt expectation will adjust down it will instead become 4th place on the 7th highest budget. There isn't really a manager out there who has proven they can do that in the PL (other than Pochettino) so we have to take somebody who appears to have overachieved somewhere in Europe and gamble on them working similar magic in the PL.

I'd rather have a slot than a nagelsman, i just question the metric used for his success.

Back