• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
He would be wasted here, he is a proper football manager that would have to be respected, backed and listened to ... I doubt he would have that here.

We need a yes man

These are managers that are used to working with elite talent, who in some respects manage themselves - i think it's possible (likely in fact) that they just couldn't deal with managing a group of players that were not elite (bar 1 or 2) - just because they are proven at a high level doesn't make them capable of doing the job required here.

Let's not forget it took Conte only a season at Chelsea, with that level of talent, to implode as well - Mourinho as well had a history of being a 2 year manager who by his 3rd season would usually crumble, so both of their paths at Tottenham aren't really out of the ordinary.

And therein lies a big part of the problem. These managers were not the right fit. They did not give out vibes that they wanted to be here or that they were all-in on the project/club. Players sense that and the reaction is usually not a positive one. Bring in a manager that puts an arm around them, considers it an honor to be managing Spurs, lays down a plan to move the team forward by improving the players and playing to their strengths rather than simply buying new ones (which will have to be done too, obviously), and you just might be surprised what the response is.

I dont think Mourinho angled for a move away but did get frustrated not being able to build a team to win ... you can't give him Rodon when he wanted skirinar ... that LCB remained a problem with conte chasing Bastoni... then having Spence put to him. I'd agree with your sentiment with spence knowing that the manager didn't fancy him.

However these are professional players not young children that always need an arm around them. They have had plenty of backing and sympathy from four managers and none have really shined apart from kane ... why is that? Kane is elite and can adapt the others just down tools

I dont think Mourinho angled for a move away but did get frustrated not being able to build a team to win ... you can't give him Rodon when he wanted skirinar ... that LCB remained a problem with conte chasing Bastoni... then having Spence put to him. I'd agree with your sentiment with spence knowing that the manager didn't fancy him.

However these are professional players not young children that always need an arm around them. They have had plenty of backing and sympathy from four managers and none have really shined apart from kane ... why is that? Kane is elite and can adapt the others just down tools

We still have players in that dressing room with a crap attitude and have not got the mentality to be winners ( or a winning mentality) and shown it in the past even under Pooch. imo

We still have players in that dressing room with a crap attitude and have not got the mentality to be winners ( or a winning mentality) and shown it in the past even under Pooch. imo
And that’s the kicker
You can’t just change mind set
It takes so many variables
So you have to build off something else first

Slot is now outright favourite to be our next manager

Yeah, It seems like it's all eyes on Slot now. All the ITKs seem to think he's been the main focus of talks since the weekend.

I'm not convinced we'll hear anything for some time though, we don't rush these things!

Word here today is that Slot - I'm translating a little literally here - "because he still has two years left on his contract, is not allowed to speak to us himself unless we formally ask Feyenoord for permission". In order for that to happen we would have to show our cards, which is not in our interest right now, and Feyenoord would not give us permission anyway, because a) they still have two games to play, and b) they will play hard to get on only the second day after winning the title. All of which may in turn explain why O'Keefe mentions representatives, who are allowed to talk to us according to this well-known Rotterdam football journalist, "on the condition that they mention Slot's current contract situation". As if we would not know. Interesting to see though that what's being rumoured in the UK fits nicely with what's being said here.

I think the problem is all of our preferred managers are currently employed, so it’s unrealistic to expect anything before the end of the season. Slot and Ange have been involved in title races, Amorin seemingly a race at the top of the table and De Zerbi trying to get European football. Of course, others could be on the list.

If any of the out of work managers were our number 1 target it would probably have happened by now. I am well aware of the outrage that number 1 and 2 were not Poch and Nagelsmann.
We’ve not got a DoF yet…. Folly to appoint a manager before we appoint the DoF and also no reason that the DoF shouldn’t be sorted within a week or two from now. We shouldn’t really even have any top targets yet as the new DoF should be in charge of this.

We’ve not got a DoF yet…. Folly to appoint a manager before we appoint the DoF and also no reason that the DoF shouldn’t be sorted within a week or two from now. We shouldn’t really even have any top targets yet as the new DoF should be in charge of this.

I dont get why though? We have had managers before with DoFs after. It would not be a deal breaker... perhaps we have been proactive in the two months and have a firm handshake on both fronts with both manager and DoF not opposed to each other

Jol when he joined talked about the history of the club… he was a kinda fan
Poch when he joined talked about the fans and the history
Both spoke with pride and no arrogance

conte and Jose talked about themselves and what the6 had done… we were lucky to have them

it’s why they were far from loveable and very much the wrong fit

They had pride because they had proven themselves and walked in with more trophies than spurs over the last 50 odd years. The two who you mentioned had not won anything and had nothing to show but then being "fans" to get people on side

They had pride because they had proven themselves and walked in with more trophies than spurs over the last 50 odd years. The two who you mentioned had not won anything and had nothing to show but then being "fans" to get people on side

There's not much point trying to change people's mind on Conte / Jose. It's the Spurs self protection tints where success is seen like a bad thing.

They don't know how to coach and anything they've achieved was just by luck / arrogance. No doubt if Ancelotti did a stint with us he'd end up being called a dinosaur as well.

If you think winning the champions league with Porto is impressive, wait till you hear about Mason managing a 1 - 0 win against a palace team already on the beach, a true display of managerial excellence...

(Edited as I mixed up Porto with Monaco)

Last edited:

They're still human, however. Running the same dull drills over and over again can get demotivating. Being played out of position or asked to play in a way that does not suit your style is demotivating. Taking orders from someone who doesn't seem to care if he'll be the manager next season or tomorrow is demotivating. Yes, you're a professional, but that doesn't mean you are a robot where these things would not affect you. And playing a defensive style, like we have been doing the past 4 years, doesn't help either. It is actually Slot himself who said that "more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending."

So put all these things together and... you get my drift. I'm not saying everyone will improve, but certainly more will than not.

There's not much point trying to change people's mind on Conte / Jose. It's the Spurs self protection tints where success is seen like a bad thing.

They don't know how to coach and anything they've achieved was just by luck / arrogance. No doubt if Ancelotti did a stint with us he'd end up being called a dinosaur as well.

If you think winning the champions league with Monaco is impressive, wait till you hear about Mason managing a 1 - 0 win against a palace team already on the beach, a true display of managerial excellence...

Trust me I know, had we won a trophy they would not have revelled in their success. These fans had made their minds up long before a ball was kicked under their regime but yet fans to back anyone else that walks into the role.

They're still human, however. Running the same dull drills over and over again can get demotivating. Being played out of position or asked to play in a way that does not suit your style is demotivating. Taking orders from someone who doesn't seem to care if he'll be the manager next season or tomorrow is demotivating. Yes, you're a professional, but that doesn't mean you are a robot where these things would not affect you. And playing a defensive style, like we have been doing the past 4 years, doesn't help either. It is actually Slot himself who said that "more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending."

So put all these things together and... you get my drift. I'm not saying everyone will improve, but certainly more will than not.

I get your drift but please divulge in these players that you have great hopes for, it would make for an interesting read, at the least humour me.

It's funny you say players playing out of position, Dier is one. But I digress, whatever happened to those players who say they don't care where they play as long as they can be on the pitch to help the team in any which way, or to help the manager. This motivation notion is beyond my thinking, they have all talked a good game when the results are going well, speaking highly of the manager, but when there is pressure they have folded, sulked and downed tools. I get some players may have this mentality and cannot accept a challenge or criticism but it seems like we have formed a collective if this type of player and mentality throughout the team.

If it were one season I would accept but this bunch have been don't this for far too long.

I get your drift but please divulge in these players that you have great hopes for, it would make for an interesting read, at the least humour me.

It's funny you say players playing out of position, Dier is one. But I digress, whatever happened to those players who say they don't care where they play as long as they can be on the pitch to help the team in any which way, or to help the manager. This motivation notion is beyond my thinking, they have all talked a good game when the results are going well, speaking highly of the manager, but when there is pressure they have folded, sulked and downed tools. I get some players may have this mentality and cannot accept a challenge or criticism but it seems like we have formed a collective if this type of player and mentality throughout the team.

If it were one season I would accept but this bunch have been don't this for far too long.
It's multiple seasons of the same type of manager. And as I said, not everyone will improve, plus I do not know who will improve and play better and who will just stay at the level he is. But I do know that a new manager with a completely different approach to football than the one we have had the past 4 years will get a number of our players to elevate their game. It's obvious I can't convince you about this, so we will just have to wait and see it play out. But I do not buy for one second the argument that we have bucked the probabilities and managed to sign only players with a weak mentality. Or that we have a normal share of these types of players, but somehow their attitude has affected the entire squad. The choice of managers in the past 4 years must have something to do with it too.

They had arrogance
I know their cvs were great but you have nothing until you achieve something
Here they achieved nothing despite their previous records

They had arrogance
I know their cvs were great but you have nothing until you achieve something
Here they achieved nothing despite their previous records

Working with this squad Mourinho should have had a crack at the final he deserved to manage.

They have arrogance because they are elite in their profession. Not many good great managers are without arrogance, the same goes with players.

Working with this squad Mourinho should have had a crack at the final he deserved to manage.

They have arrogance because they are elite in their profession. Not many good great managers are without arrogance, the same goes with players.
Yep
I’d expect that to a point
But when you start at a club you have to engage with people to get them on board
Arrogance doesn’t work at some clubs, and maybe does at others

They're good/have been good in the circumstances that allow them to /suit their abilities - or do you and @spurspinter1 just think a manager that is a top performer at the highest level is automatically going to be a top performer under more testing circumstances at a lower positioned club that doesn't have everything in place that the elite clubs do?

Back