• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
They're good/have been good in the circumstances that allow them to /suit their abilities - or do you and @spurspinter1 just think a manager that is a top performer at the highest level is automatically going to be a top performer under more testing circumstances at a lower positioned club that doesn't have everything in place that the elite clubs do?

You may view it as more testing circumstances at a lower positioned club but it is also testing in a different way to come in to a club where you're expected to win things

But as I think you're implying, it is a case of managers being suited to a club rather than it being exactly linear. I just find it tiresome from certain posters who repeat the same dross about Conte / Jose being unable to coach or being tactically inept etc. I could tag a couple of people but I am trying to be less feisty on here and it's not like folks are going to change their mind so at best it's an agree to disagree thing in spite of any evidence.

It's easier to slag off the elite managers as individuals rather than address the culture of the club, now with our wonderful stadium and solid track record of CL qualification (which is apparently needed to compete) we're still nowhere near. I don't have much of a solution or an idea other than unrealistic upheaval of the board / players and the discussions have no doubt been had before. Still awaiting on any move to move onwards and upwards from the club to inspire a bit of hope.

Working with this squad Mourinho should have had a crack at the final he deserved to manage.

They have arrogance because they are elite in their profession. Not many good great managers are without arrogance, the same goes with players.

Yep without a doubt.

They're good/have been good in the circumstances that allow them to /suit their abilities - or do you and @spurspinter1 just think a manager that is a top performer at the highest level is automatically going to be a top performer under more testing circumstances at a lower positioned club that doesn't have everything in place that the elite clubs do?

Absolutely not, however Mourinho at Porto, now at Roma ... Conte at sienna and bari... spurs could have been a great challenge if they had more control, time and possibly backing with players that they wanted with urgency to build quickly.

Football is a fast moving business and if elite managers don't get what they want then why waste time? There will be plenty of offers in Italy amongst others for Conte. Mourinho may land the psg job.

Both will continue to win things let's make no mistake about it.

I put it back to you? Why is it that we are the only club that Mourinho has failed to lift a trophy?

Absolutely not, however Mourinho at Porto, now at Roma ... Conte at sienna and bari... spurs could have been a great challenge if they had more control, time and possibly backing with players that they wanted with urgency to build quickly.

Football is a fast moving business and if elite managers don't get what they want then why waste time? There will be plenty of offers in Italy amongst others for Conte. Mourinho may land the psg job.

Both will continue to win things let's make no mistake about it.

I put it back to you? Why is it that we are the only club that Mourinho has failed to lift a trophy?

Porto & Inter, incredible results for Mourinho in the CL and rightly lauded for it, but they were the best/most invested-in teams in their domestic leagues, used to winning week in week out and as a result all pulling in the same direction/feeling unbeatable, of course Mourinho would have helped foster that attitude and harness it in to performance in Europe but he was not going to build that foundation at Spurs as we weren't a top side domestically, he's never done that without being the richest in the league and at United he spent more than anyone i think and still couldn't do it there either - like i say that's not to take away from it but a different situation to managing a team that's performing around 6th in their league with a similar level of investment -i don't think he's doing a particularly good job at Roma, on course for a second Con League qualification in Serie A, not good really and more or less the same level we were performing at with a similar level of club - Con League win fair enough, they were favourites and barely played a team of note all the way through the tournament but he got it won so done what he had to. He didnt win a trophy at the first club he managed either iirc an often forgotten fact when the only club he never won a trophy with line gets trotted out.

As for Conte, great league manager, again when at the richest in the league and as long as you don't mind doing nothing of note in the cups at the same time - he has his spells at smaller clubs in Italy when starting out which showed he could do the nitty gritty so was cause for optimism that he could bring some of that here, but a combination of the football he plays and the toxic atmosphere that quickly settles in from the relentless blame game he plays means he rarely lasts long at clubs since those early years - Inter, Chelsea and now Spurs shows there's a pattern with him. With us he wasn't coming in to a team at a high level like with Inter & Chelsea so he didn't have the quality to make the instant impact he did at both of those clubs. @afsoc4life is an Inter fan i believe and didn't like Conte based on his time there and i know from a mixed board i post on that Chelsea fans hated him.

You may view it as more testing circumstances at a lower positioned club but it is also testing in a different way to come in to a club where you're expected to win things

But as I think you're implying, it is a case of managers being suited to a club rather than it being exactly linear. I just find it tiresome from certain posters who repeat the same dross about Conte / Jose being unable to coach or being tactically inept etc. I could tag a couple of people but I am trying to be less feisty on here and it's not like folks are going to change their mind so at best it's an agree to disagree thing in spite of any evidence.

It's easier to slag off the elite managers as individuals rather than address the culture of the club, now with our wonderful stadium and solid track record of CL qualification (which is apparently needed to compete) we're still nowhere near. I don't have much of a solution or an idea other than unrealistic upheaval of the board / players and the discussions have no doubt been had before. Still awaiting on any move to move onwards and upwards from the club to inspire a bit of hope.

More testing is probably the wrong wording tbf, different test/different circumstances would be better i guess - working at the richest club in the league and succeeding doesn't mean the skills required there will translate to other clubs further down the food chain (and vice versa tbf)

I equally find it tiring to read it that these managers can't be questioned / it's all on the players/the club because of what they have achieved at bigger/richer clubs previously - i only judge a manager here on what they do here and try to weigh that against the circumstances in which they are working. i think there are many legitimate points that are argued well regarding both managers use of tactics and (what can only be assumed from the outside) coaching.

We aren't a top side and we are well off of where we should be but we've been at this level previously and had less prestigious managers have us playing well and getting everyone pulling in the same direction - it's simply not an excuse that i buy.

Porto & Inter, incredible results for Mourinho in the CL and rightly lauded for it, but they were the best/most invested-in teams in their domestic leagues, used to winning week in week out and as a result all pulling in the same direction/feeling unbeatable, of course Mourinho would have helped foster that attitude and harness it in to performance in Europe but he was not going to build that foundation at Spurs as we weren't a top side domestically, he's never done that without being the richest in the league and at United he spent more than anyone i think and still couldn't do it there either - like i say that's not to take away from it but a different situation to managing a team that's performing around 6th in their league with a similar level of investment -i don't think he's doing a particularly good job at Roma, on course for a second Con League qualification in Serie A, not good really and more or less the same level we were performing at with a similar level of club - Con League win fair enough, they were favourites and barely played a team of note all the way through the tournament but he got it won so done what he had to. He didnt win a trophy at the first club he managed either iirc an often forgotten fact when the only club he never won a trophy with line gets trotted out.

As for Conte, great league manager, again when at the richest in the league and as long as you don't mind doing nothing of note in the cups at the same time - he has his spells at smaller clubs in Italy when starting out which showed he could do the nitty gritty so was cause for optimism that he could bring some of that here, but a combination of the football he plays and the toxic atmosphere that quickly settles in from the relentless blame game he plays means he rarely lasts long at clubs since those early years - Inter, Chelsea and now Spurs shows there's a pattern with him.

More testing is probably the wrong wording tbf, different test/different circumstances would be better i guess - working at the richest club in the league and succeeding doesn't mean the skills required there will translate to other clubs further down the food chain (and vice versa tbf)

I equally find it tiring to read it that these managers can't be questioned / it's all on the players/the club because of what they have achieved at bigger/richer clubs previously - i only judge a manager here on what they do here and try to weigh that against the circumstances in which they are working. i think there are many legitimate points that are argued well regarding both managers use of tactics and (what can only be assumed from the outside) coaching.

We aren't a top side and we are well off of where we should be but we've been at this level previously and had less prestigious managers have us playing well and getting everyone pulling in the same direction - it's simply not an excuse that i buy.

Ok put it another way what did you expect of Conte and Mourinho at spurs? I think the board expected trophies without doing what is required for these managers to deliver them perhaps? We got a ferrari without having the money to insure it put or the fuel in.

Let's say all of which you said is obvious and true .... what on earth were the board thinking? Sandwich that in with NES ... it doesn't make for a pretty sight

Ok put it another way what did you expect of Conte and Mourinho at spurs? I think the board expected trophies without doing what is required for these managers to deliver them perhaps? We got a ferrari without having the money to insure it put or the fuel in.

Let's say all of which you said is obvious and true .... what on earth were the board thinking? Sandwich that in with NES ... it doesn't make for a pretty sight

You know what i expected mate, exactly what we got - not sure what point you think that makes? The club shouldn't have hired them and they take their blame for doing so but that doesn't mean the managers themselves are blameless for not performing in their jobs better than they did.

Yes, I agree, though with Slot now having the title wrapped up, if he's our preferred choice it should be possible to move for him

I'd be gobsmacked if we don't know by now who our preferred choice is
Your posts suggest you are gobsmacked at everything.

Do we need a DOF first?

Won't both manager and dof both report to Munn?
So I guess it depends on the set up if Munn will control everything or just over see the dof.

Do we need a DOF first?

Won't both manager and dof both report to Munn?
So I guess it depends on the set up if Munn will control everything or just over see the dof.

I'd have thought the manager reports to the DoF. Munn would also have the women's team reporting to him, the admin part of the football operation etc etc

We need a dof first, surely - take levy and the board out of football deals and how we set up to play etc

You'd have to think we have closed in on one that would be aware of the likely candidates for manager already. I'm sure we will find out soon enough. I'd wager we have a DOF soon enough

You'd have to think we have closed in on one that would be aware of the likely candidates for manager already. I'm sure we will find out soon enough. I'd wager we have a DOF soon enough

Agree. I think we'll hire the two in relatively quick succession, perhaps 1-2 weeks apart

Back