• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
There's making Sanchez a world class CB with the ball at his feet, which we would all agree is trying to polish a turd. And then there's putting round pegs in round holes. Or in other words, playing Sonny higher up the pitch facing the goal, giving Bissouma license to roam with a couple of capable CMs around him, not playing Royal as a WB, etc. That's not polishing a turd; it's playing players to capitalize on their strengths. Something that hasn't been done in a while now.
That’s called getting in a manager that suits the current players…. and/or having a football strategy at the club that concentrates its recruitment on continuity…. Something that has never been put in place from the top of the club.

We lurch from manager A, who we buy a few ‘manager A’ type players for, to manager Z who has a completely different system and player requirements l, we then sack manager Z when he can’t get manager A’s players working in his system.

That is why I fear for Slot. He’ll likely need at least a year and maybe more to coach his completely different philosophy to our players who have had 3 managers in a row with the inverse of his system.… but we all know what the chairman does if the manager doesn’t have the team high in the table…

Last edited:
That’s called getting in a manager that suits the current players…. and/or having a football strategy at the club that concentrates its recruitment on continuity…. Something that has never been put in place from the top of the club.

Because it doesn't happen in reality ... if a manager can get the players to work in the system and its successful then they won't get sacked ... if they do get sacked and then replace him with a manager who plays the same style using the same players ... then he so get sacked too ... sound familiar?

We lurch from manager A, who we buy a few ‘manager A’ type players for, to manager Z who has a completely different system and player requirements l, we then sack manager Z when he can’t get manager A’s players working in his system.

That is why I fear for Slot. He’ll likely need at least a year and maybe more to coach his completely different philosophy to our players who have had 3 managers in a row with the inverse of his system.… but we all know what the chairman does if the manager doesn’t have the team high in the table…

The change between manager types is a real problem, although you could argue the last 3 were similar (pragmatic, 3atb, counters)

I don't agree a manger needs 18 months to show improvement, Howe & Emry have proven that wrong recently. The bonus for Slot is we will likely finish 7th/8th this season which provided we keep Kane (yes, a big if), a decent manager with a couple of additions could get us back to top 6 (so show improvement).

I'd say Nagelsmann would be an appointment that if he didn't get us challenging for top 4 in first season would be vulnerable, I'm assuming if we went the Slot route, we have a longer term vision (although, as you are quick to point out, we don't really do long term)

Because it doesn't happen in reality ... if a manager can get the players to work in the system and its successful then they won't get sacked ... if they do get sacked and then replace him with a manager who plays the same style using the same players ... then he so get sacked too ... sound familiar?
We need to pick a horse and ride it…. We either have a continuity policy and don’t give managers time because they’re brought in specifically because they suit the current players and recruitment and style of play strategy, or we lurch from one style to another but ensure that we either immediately get each manager a high number of new players or give them time to implement their philosophy slowly over several windows with it being fine if we struggle for a while.

The change between manager types is a real problem, although you could argue the last 3 were similar (pragmatic, 3atb, counters)

I don't agree a manger needs 18 months to show improvement, Howe & Emry have proven that wrong recently. The bonus for Slot is we will likely finish 7th/8th this season which provided we keep Kane (yes, a big if), a decent manager with a couple of additions could get us back to top 6 (so show improvement).

I'd say Nagelsmann would be an appointment that if he didn't get us challenging for top 4 in first season would be vulnerable, I'm assuming if we went the Slot route, we have a longer term vision (although, as you are quick to point out, we don't really do long term)

Agreed. A vast improvement in playing style will also buy a manager more time with the fans, and if fans arent on the managers back it helps atmosphere at games and makes levy less likely to do something rash

There are two ways to go for a new manager:

• Stick to your preferred system and struggle until you get all the types of players you need to make it work.
  • Be flexible and adapt your playing style to the players you have at your disposal to get the most out of them. In the process you may settle on a different playing style, which you may decide to stick with, if it is successful. Or it may be a stop-gap until you get the players that suit your preferred style. But you constantly adapt and tweak and keep getting the most out of the squad.
The former is Conte. The latter is the sign of a really good manager. The latter is actually what Gallardo has done throughout his career, which is why he is still my top choice. That is the kind of manager we want and, since Gallardo doesn't seem to be in the picture, I'm hoping Slot is such a manager.

There are two ways to go for a new manager:

• Stick to your preferred system and struggle until you get all the types of players you need to make it work.
  • Be flexible and adapt your playing style to the players you have at your disposal to get the most out of them. In the process you may settle on a different playing style, which you may decide to stick with, if it is successful. Or it may be a stop-gap until you get the players that suit your preferred style. But you constantly adapt and tweak and keep getting the most out of the squad.
The former is Conte. The latter is the sign of a really good manager. The latter is actually what Gallardo has done throughout his career, which is why he is still my top choice. That is the kind of manager we want and, since Gallardo doesn't seem to be in the picture, I'm hoping Slot is such a manager.

Problem is that we have too many "stop gap" players in our current set up who don't have the ability, standards or mentality to change the situation. EVery manager since and including the latter days of pochettino have suffered this mobs lack of talent.

Problem is that we have too many "stop gap" players in our current set up who don't have the ability, standards or mentality to change the situation. EVery manager since and including the latter days of pochettino have suffered this mobs lack of talent.
That is your opinion and it is probably reinforced by the fact that our recent managers haven't gotten the best out of our players. The new manager may not see it this way and be able to get a tune out of players that you may have given up on. If Emery could do it with Villa, I'm pretty sure a good manager can do it with us.

That being said, that shouldn't be the end all be all. There are limits to how far the current group can go and getting in better players should also be a priority. But let's evaluate that after we have managed to get the best out of what we have.

We saw at the end of last season what getting the best out of these players looked like, this season for whatever reason we did not.

That is your opinion and it is probably reinforced by the fact that our recent managers haven't gotten the best out of our players. The new manager may not see it this way and be able to get a tune out of players that you may have given up on. If Emery could do it with Villa, I'm pretty sure a good manager can do it with us.

That being said, that shouldn't be the end all be all. There are limits to how far the current group can go and getting in better players should also be a priority. But let's evaluate that after we have managed to get the best out of what we have.

Why chance on her another season hoping and praying that they will come good ... if poch, Mourinho, conte couldn't get a tune out of them then my opinion is very valid.

You can see when you take a good manager out the limits of these players in stellini and Mason.

You may be in that view that these players have ability and will magically pull there socks up and be world beaters ... I don't share that opinion. I would loathe for another manager to be thrown under the bid by this bunch who down tools the very minute things get tricky.

Better bloody be before the summer!! Next two weeks!

Assuming this journo rumour is correct, I hope that this would signify that he's our preferred choice. We shouldn't still doing the groundwork / due diligence c.50 days after sacking Conte

I think the problem is all of our preferred managers are currently employed, so it’s unrealistic to expect anything before the end of the season. Slot and Ange have been involved in title races, Amorin seemingly a race at the top of the table and De Zerbi trying to get European football. Of course, others could be on the list.

If any of the out of work managers were our number 1 target it would probably have happened by now. I am well aware of the outrage that number 1 and 2 were not Poch and Nagelsmann.

We saw at the end of last season what getting the best out of these players looked like, this season for whatever reason we did not.

The end of last season .. I get that we sneaked into the top four and it was with Conte ... before and after they have been poor to average

I don't think we did. I mean, it was Conte managing them, I think there is still a slightly higher level they can get to.

The end of last season .. I get that we sneaked into the top four and it was with Conte ... before and after they have been poor to average
But at least that shows you there is another level in them. Just because Jose and Conte couldn't sustain it with their dull football, doesn't mean any new manager will have the same fate. Make it interesting for the players and the motivation will follow. Once you have done that, then you can get rid of those that are still not up to it.

I think the problem is all of our preferred managers are currently employed, so it’s unrealistic to expect anything before the end of the season. Slot and Ange have been involved in title races, Amorin seemingly a race at the top of the table and De Zerbi trying to get European football. Of course, others could be on the list.

If any of the out of work managers were our number 1 target it would probably have happened by now. I am well aware of the outrage that number 1 and 2 were not Poch and Nagelsmann.

Exactly this, if it is Slot and he wants to stay on till the end of the season as a sign of respect then we are best served to honour that. This idea we roll into dodge, lay the money down and take home the prize without their being any other circumstances is slightly naive. At the end of the day as long as they are here for the start of the Transfer window which is early June then all is good with the world. As players will be off on their holidays its not really essential for before then. Its probably also a better opportunity to not have players you don't want knocking about and get rid of them without any emotion of knowing too much about them (there are a few a new manager does not need to see).

Back