• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

He called Spurs fans idiots
All of us?

It was in response to a question, referring to a minority who didn't watch the game, that ring up a radio station to slag him or the team off.

Huge difference and if you've listened to TalkSport after attending the match - in the main, pretty accurate.

As often, it was just a typical off-the-cuff remark, not an assault on our sensitive souls.

"The reaction doesn't hurt me. The reason I don't listen to phone-ins is because you're talking about idiots," he said.

"Who rings up a radio station? My dad lived for football, went every Saturday, but he wouldn't pick up the phone to a radio station. It's absolute nonsense.

"They're idiots who don't even watch football. They say, 'We were rubbish today'.

"The guys on the radio ask them if they were at the game, and they say, 'No, I heard it on the radio'.

"When I start worrying about what they think, I'll be in trouble.

"99.9 per cent of people who go to Tottenham have loved everything they've seen. That's all that matters."

If Woy gets it (most likely), Harry could really be knocked back by it in the short term, sadly tieing in with our remaining games.

He's at an age where this was his chance, his one shot at getting the big job. Being the character he is, it will be hard for him to section it off and be proffesional and non-effected by events (this is not a criticism).

Where does it leave us....well it's all in levys hands now. If he has been sounding out other managers and there is someone he fancies and available, HR will be off. Levy may also think this circus may return sooner than we would like once Woy is murdered by the press (probably starting sometime today!).
Another angle is, if levy is perceived, (rightly or wrongly) by HR to have scuppered his chances of getting the england job (such as ridiculous compensastion demands) then that relationship will be untenable.

Obviously HR does have another year, and he may well be clinging to that for the sole reason of still having a job. From top 4 manager & england boss elect to maybe jobless and calling it a day. Even when you haven't even got the england job it can f*ck you over.(and your team)

Harry will bide his time if he's smart, as two things could happen that work in his favour:

1. Woy gets offered the job only on a temporary basis for Euro 2012, then the job becomes free again after that. Either because it was only offered to him for that tournament or because he massively flops and gets sacked.

2. In an extra two years, with CL football and some investment into the squad, Harry could win a little more at club level before he retires.

All of us?

It was in response to a question, referring to a minority who didn't watch the game, that ring up a radio station to slag him or the team off.

Huge difference and if you've listened to TalkSport after attending the match - in the main, pretty accurate.

As often, it was just a typical off-the-cuff remark, not an assault on our sensitive souls.

Of course they're idiots, we all know that. We're allowed to call them idiots because we're also Spurs fans.

Fact is though, they're Spurs fans and that means to our manager they're the greatest fans on earth. Those are the rules, play by them.

No offense mate, but that is total flimflam, and the inherant issue with the anti Harry arguement.

- Were we in position to have wrapped upp 3rd spot this season based on where we were 2 months ago = absolutely
- Are we the 3rd best squad/3rd best equipped team in the PL = absolutely not

United, Scum, Cheat$ki, Pool all have much higher wages and the experience of closing off this end of the season, City are in their own league (squad/player wise) and should have wrapped up the league a month ago (should they fire Mancini?), but showed what lack of experience can do.

Fact is, if we take the dissapointment of the last 10 games out of the equation, go back to the beggining of the season and ask

- Is 4th place and a FA Cup SF success?
- If we got 5th, is it a failure?

Answer the question as you would have (and Levy would have) in August, and all this Harry is destroying Spurs, worst manager ever, etc, etc ... looks a little different.

I will answer your points in reverse order. First of all, I fully expected top 4 AND a title tilt in August. I saw the players coming in, our squad had been kept together, our lynchpin payer wasn't going anywhere and the "gel" factor was high. So my expectations were high. Remember, we blew CL football the previous season thanks to a disastrous league run; it couldn't happen again, no no.

You're asking me to take the disappointment of the last 10 games out of the equation, thus you're asking me to evaluate our season based on 28 games? Sorry mate, can't do it.

You mention City. Bad example. They have always had one player more than everyone else, and I believe it will show in the end. They also did not surrender second place to anyone; us, the goons, anyone.

Would 5th have been a failure in August? Yes. For me. Would 4th and an FA Cup semi-final have been a failure in August? 4th would not have been, an FA Cup semi-final knock-out is a failure, yes, ESPECIALLY when we have the context of knowing it's a team we could've beaten. As for 4th, right now, today, it would be a fudging miracle if we got 4th. But the fact remains that for your 28-odd games, we were one of the very best teams in the country and thus it is not unreasonable to have expected us tp push on ESPECIALLY given what we should've learnt from last season's collapse.

Here's a not-so-hidden secret; had the FA sacked Crapello after Switzerland home last summer, had the score remained 2-0 to the Swiss, there was great GREAT hope that the FA would've gone for Harry then and the board would've been delighted. Oh there's so much more to say, but it will all come out I suspect...in the meantime, if you want to think of it as "total flimflam" then I understand, it's your opinion.

One final nugget of thought; why is it "the pro-Harry" and "the anti-Harry" gang? Everyone appreciates what he did, but equally, many were aware of his shortcomings and failings. If you're not aware of his failings right now mate, if you do not agree that he's illustrated them hugely during, say, the Norwich, QPR and Chelski games, then I would suggest new specs!

Of course they're idiots, we all know that. We're allowed to call them idiots because we're also Spurs fans.

Fact is though, they're Spurs fans and that means to our manager they're the greatest fans on earth. Those are the rules, play by them.
Clearly, I believe there is and should be no such rules and hope Harry maintains his candid stance.

My point is, contrary to the assertion - unless you feel, that those who choose to ring up radio shows to slag the team off, after having failed to watch the game are representative - he did not label us all idiots.

Privately, I think Harry will have the right 'ump!
But in the short term, I reckon Harry knew about the FA's decision before it was announced on Sky... and I can't believe the players didn't have wind of this before yesterdays' game either... funny then how we manage to pull off a nice win when the England job is now seemingly going to someone else...co-incidence?!

BTW, I can't be the ONLY person to think that Roy is ACTUALLY a better tactical/experienced coach than Harry... JUST because Sky/The Soaraway Sun and every rival football fan wanted to disrupt our season by CUNSTANTLY banging on about it at every opportunity from the moment Capello left, doesn't mean Harry IS the best man for the job... he's got fudge all International experience, and can barely reed/right (sic) English, let alone the dozen or so Languages Roy has under his belt (though I realise that won't have much use in training!!)
Plus it's no co-incidence that Harry's/Spurs recent form CAN'T have gone unnoticed by the FA...

Oh, and maybe just maybe, simply BECAUSE Harry got cleared of Tax Evasion in court, doesn't mean to say there aren't any other little hidden 'nuggets' of gold-dust the Papers would just LOVE to get hold of once he's in the England job... I doubt the FA would want to take the risk!

Last edited:
Morning you guys 1st time post, ive spent a long time reading all the threads on this topic and i cant work out why there is so much bad feeling towards Harry all of a sudden, yes hes not done himself any favours lately but hes still "Arry" the man who has turned this club around in front of our eyes, we have been on a poor run lately this is true but the performances havent been that bad that we should all turn on each other and him, win our game in hand and we are 1 point behind the scum who are 3rd, at the beggining of the season if i would have said that with 4 games to go hand on heart would you not take that? and then if i would have said yes but some of you would be calling him a c**t and wanting him sacked i wonder what your responses would have been? think about it .....coys.

Clearly, I believe there is and should be no such rules and hope Harry maintains his candid stance.

My point is, contrary to the assertion - unless you feel, that those who choose to ring up radio shows to slag the team off, after having failed to watch the game are representative - he did not label us all idiots.

You're right, he didn't label us all idiots. He did label some Spurs fans idiots though and that's not on for anyone employed by the club. The correct response is something like:
"They're fans and they've spent their time and hard-earned money supporting the club so they're entitled to their own opinion - I disagree with it" - all other managers can do it, he needs to learn how. He's also taken a number of opportunities to belittle our club in order to make his own slump in form seem more acceptable.

The manager is the front line representative of our club and the way he acts and behaves is often the way the club is perceived to be. Redknapp being in charge of Spurs makes me a little less proud to be a Spurs fan, and that should never have to happen to any of us purely for believing in there being a "right way" for the club to behave.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather our team struggled with a manager who respected the club than succeeded with someone like Redknapp.

I agree, but I do not like seeing insults directed towards the manager of our team.

He is a twitchy old taco, a disrespectful fudge of a man with no fudging morals or respect, he is out for himself and is a useless run about a bit manager. In other words, he is a total bellend.

images

Originally Posted by THFCTB
Have a bit of fudging respect.

Shut your face, I'll have respect when he has repect for us as fans, the club that employs him and respects our history.

...and there, in a nutshell is the perfect example of Harry diving the fans! Good job you two... now get a fudging room! ](*,)8-[

I will answer your points in reverse order. First of all, I fully expected top 4 AND a title tilt in August. I saw the players coming in, our squad had been kept together, our lynchpin payer wasn't going anywhere and the "gel" factor was high. So my expectations were high. Remember, we blew CL football the previous season thanks to a disastrous league run; it couldn't happen again, no no.

You're asking me to take the disappointment of the last 10 games out of the equation, thus you're asking me to evaluate our season based on 28 games? Sorry mate, can't do it.

You mention City. Bad example. They have always had one player more than everyone else, and I believe it will show in the end. They also did not surrender second place to anyone; us, the goons, anyone.

Would 5th have been a failure in August? Yes. For me. Would 4th and an FA Cup semi-final have been a failure in August? 4th would not have been, an FA Cup semi-final knock-out is a failure, yes, ESPECIALLY when we have the context of knowing it's a team we could've beaten. As for 4th, right now, today, it would be a fudging miracle if we got 4th. But the fact remains that for your 28-odd games, we were one of the very best teams in the country and thus it is not unreasonable to have expected us tp push on ESPECIALLY given what we should've learnt from last season's collapse.

Here's a not-so-hidden secret; had the FA sacked Crapello after Switzerland home last summer, had the score remained 2-0 to the Swiss, there was great GREAT hope that the FA would've gone for Harry then and the board would've been delighted. Oh there's so much more to say, but it will all come out I suspect...in the meantime, if you want to think of it as "total flimflam" then I understand, it's your opinion.

One final nugget of thought; why is it "the pro-Harry" and "the anti-Harry" gang? Everyone appreciates what he did, but equally, many were aware of his shortcomings and failings. If you're not aware of his failings right now mate, if you do not agree that he's illustrated them hugely during, say, the Norwich, QPR and Chelski games, then I would suggest new specs!

With our squad, there is no way you could expect top 4. Hope for it maybe, but even on paper our squads aren't better than any of the usual suspects and that's before you take into account the winning mentality that the likes of Chelsea Man U etc have that is so important and at times underestimated. Title tilt?! I'm an optimist but jesus! Even when we was up there it was always obvious we would tail off we just don't have the depth.

To expect a top 4 position is unrealistic just because we did it once and based on our squad and how we spend on players, it belittles our achievement were we to finish in top 4 as its not easy to do at all......

You're right, he didn't label us all idiots. He did label some Spurs fans idiots though and that's not on for anyone employed by the club. The correct response is something like:
"They're fans and they've spent their time and hard-earned money supporting the club so they're entitled to their own opinion - I disagree with it" - all other managers can do it, he needs to learn how. He's also taken a number of opportunities to belittle our club in order to make his own slump in form seem more acceptable.

The manager is the front line representative of our club and the way he acts and behaves is often the way the club is perceived to be. Redknapp being in charge of Spurs makes me a little less proud to be a Spurs fan, and that should never have to happen to any of us purely for believing in there being a "right way" for the club to behave.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather our team struggled with a manager who respected the club than succeeded with someone like Redknapp.
I believe Redknapp does respect the club and know he loves being here. Far more than plenty of the so-called supporters - who, incidentally, have made me far less proud to be a Spurs fan than any of his offhand ripostes.

His honesty with the fans is refreshing to the alternative of being lied and pandered to with meaningless patronising cliches.

No offense mate, but that is total flimflam, and the inherant issue with the anti Harry arguement.

- Were we in position to have wrapped upp 3rd spot this season based on where we were 2 months ago = absolutely
- Are we the 3rd best squad/3rd best equipped team in the PL = absolutely not

United, Scum, Cheat$ki, Pool all have much higher wages and the experience of closing off this end of the season, City are in their own league (squad/player wise) and should have wrapped up the league a month ago (should they fire Mancini?), but showed what lack of experience can do.

In August I expected us to get 4th at worst and to be ahead of Arsenal whatever happened. I expected Chelsea and us to fight it out for 3rd and 4th.
We definitely had the 3rd best squad until January. Of our first team, Walker, Kaboul, Sandro, Modric, VdV, Bale would have walzed into the Chelsea team. For the Arsenal team all of those and add BAE, Lennon and maybe even Adebayor as well. For Liverpool, the only player to miss out would have been BAE (possibly) and Liverpool would have found a way to get Gerrard into it. Our squad was very strong with first teamers from the previous seasons such as Corluka not getting in. Harry didn't rotate and, like last year, that cost us massively!

Fact is, if we take the dissapointment of the last 10 games out of the equation, go back to the beggining of the season and ask

- Is 4th place and a FA Cup SF success?
What I expected.
- If we got 5th, is it a failure?

Answer the question as you would have (and Levy would have) in August, and all this Harry is destroying Spurs, worst manager ever, etc, etc ... looks a little different.

hell yes, 5th would always have been a failure with the squad we had.

I'll be quite pleased if Woy gets it, likeable manager and has experience at international level and did very well when he was in charge of Switzerland.

The problem isn't criticising Redknapp. It's this:

What a prick Harry is.

I can see my future at Tottenham ? Yeah after you didnt get the job you twitchy old prick.

Comments like this show that some people have totally lost perspective. A mob fever of groupthink has swept people along and it's become a big echo chamber with one comment seeking to outdo the last in vitriol. People have simply abandoned any effort to judge the thing rationally. Nothing Redknapp has done warrants this kind of reaction.

And since when do we react to our manager being under stress and pressure - and perhaps making some mistakes - with hatred? Isn't that the time to support the guy? By all means say he should be handling it better, or hammer his formations or whatever...but calling him a twitchy old prick for it? Our manager, who has us in a CL spot with our fate in our own hands with 3 games to go, has had a weird and extremely stressful season with the court case, Capellogate and his team's loss in form. Yes he's made mistakes, but for fudge's sake, since when is that cause for such personalised, nasty, bitter commentary?

No, sorry. This board has shamed itself over all this.

I believe Redknapp does respect the club and know he loves being here. Far more than plenty of the so-called supporters - who, incidentally, have made me far less proud to be a Spurs fan than any of his offhand ripostes.

His honesty with the fans is refreshing to the alternative of being lied and pandered to with meaningless patronising cliches.

It's a tired old cliche that honesty is the best policy, and mostly it's completely untrue. I spend most of my day thinking what ****s people are but if I started flapping my gob every time I thought that, I'd be out of a job, beaten to brick and probably arrested.

Back