• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

that is a bad interview response from harry i must say

It was. No doubt about it.

But managers feel pressure and make mistakes like we all do. It seems some people though think that such mistakes and slips of the tongue are so out of order that they are the opportunity for hostility and personalised abuse. Twitchy old prick and such like. That's a simple loss of perspective.

But managers feel pressure and make mistakes like we all do. It seems some people though think that such mistakes and slips of the tongue are so out of order that they are the opportunity for hostility and personalised abuse. Twitchy old prick and such like. That's a simple loss of perspective.

So why has his tounge slipped continuously ? For christ sake his column has him picking his England team and what tactics he would use.

This another slip of the tounge ?

"I never think about it, honestly, I swear," he said. "I never think about anything other than Tottenham … just trying to finish this season … get into the top four and to the Cup final. Other than that there is nothing to occupy my mind at all."

Taking away the word begging, then he is not wrong. City and Chelsea should be top four every season. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd should all definitely be in the top five.

In realistic purely logical terms, Spurs should be around 6th. In terms of fanbase we are the 4th biggest in the country, but Chelsea and City don't play by those rules so are also above us.

i dont think he is wrong, i just think he shouldnt actually say it in the way that he did.

end of the day , he works for the club and the club is out there for the fans (and to make money). Harry shouldnt have said that to the fans. the fans can say that to each other, the manager cant do that.

Taking away the word begging, then he is not wrong. City and Chelsea should be top four every season. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd should all definitely be in the top five.

In realistic purely logical terms, Spurs should be around 6th. In terms of fanbase we are the 4th biggest in the country, but Chelsea and City don't play by those rules so are also above us.

also just to add, think you might be referring to history? prestige etc etc. i knew liverpool would find it hard to get into the top 4. i did think that they would lock an european place but i was very wrong about that.

i dont think he is wrong, i just think he shouldnt actually say it in the way that he did.
end of the day , he works for the club and the club is out there for the fans (and to make money). Harry shouldnt have said that to the fans. the fans can say that to each other, the manager cant do that.

I think the opposite. I fudging hate PR and spin and all that flimflam where people publically say one thing but actually think another. Always reminds me of the moment I lost all respect for Ray Wilkins as a commentator.

Was in the early 90's and an England game. The game was really crap and England were poor. At the end of the first half Wilkins was giving his summary "England have played well, kept it tight, and there were a lot of positives out there". They cut to commercials....only there is a technical error and a bit of a delay. And you can hear Wilkins and the commentator talking between themselves and clearly hear Wilkins say "That was fudging awful wasn't it? England have been dreadful." After that moment, I never believe a single word that comes of Wilkins mouth when he is giving punditry.

I think Harry just has trouble articulating himself. Maybe it could have come across better, but I don't think he meant any maliciousness by it. I think it's clear what he meant - what Golfball and Polski have said, and in any case it's true! But because he speaks without thinking of the perfect phrase to say before hand, and because he always tries to talk candidly, that comment came out. But (without wanting to be offensive towards him) I think his grasp and articulation isn't top notch, and that's why it came out that way. It's obvious what he's trying to say, but people have taken it the wrong way.

I say this because in the post match interview yesterday, he said something, I think it was about how Kean and Blackburn have done this season, and he sort of set himself up so that to finish the sentence the way he did would have taken a very 'articulate' word to do so, and I would have been surprised if he did it that way. But what actually happened was that he paused, and then basically started a new sentence to finish off his line of thought in a longer winded way. But it's because he couldn't find the word and still wanted to give an answer.

I've calmed down a bit after yesterday. Thinking back, I think Harry hasn't actually said that much different to Roy, it's just that the media, fellow managers, coaches and players all decided Harry was the right man for the job. Therefore the speculation was a lot harder for him to deal with. It could have been nice had he declared his alleigance to Spurs and rejected the notion outright, but he would have been fooling no-one. Basically it was the speculation that de-railed us, and Harry did his best to focus on Tottenham but he just wasn't being allowed to do so. I thought it would be tough for him to say when he so clearly wanted another job, but maybe it can give him renewed focus now that he knows this is where he should be.

I say get behind Harry, he has done extremely well for us and doesn't deserve the complete disrespect he is being shown by a few on here. Even people say they are just commenting on his obvious failings - well yeah, every single manager in the world has certain failings, a style they choose which brings some positives and negatives, but it doesn't mean that when things are going badly the failings prove he is such a bad manager. We need to get behind him and the team now and maybe we can still be in the Champions League next year and this club can keep moving forward.

also just to add, think you might be referring to history? prestige etc etc. i knew liverpool would find it hard to get into the top 4. i did think that they would lock an european place but i was very wrong about that.

Nope, I am talking about fanbase and revenue. Liverpool should be the second best team in the land under normal circumstances. With City and Chelsea not playing by the rules (those two should be first and second), Liverpool should be 4th.

I'd like to see any of those who abuse him daily, say it to his face. None would. And he, given the opportunity to explain himself would probably be better understood.

I would happily say everything I've said on here to his face - they're all perfectly fair comments in my eyes.

If he were able to explain himself to my face then my first question would be to ask why he doesn't clear all this up publicly to all fans? Either he means what he says or he doesn't think it's worth clearing things up - either way that's a complete lack of respect for us.

If Hodgson gets the England job, i cant see Levy sacking Redknapp at the end of the season if the only viable candidates are young up and coming managers like Rodgers or Martinez....for a Mourinho or Hiddink, yes i think Levy would pull the trigger.

but Levy is smart, he is happy imv with us challebging for 4th every season. If we get there, great, if not, we try agin the following season. Redknapp kinda offers this and Levy wouldnt risk changing this

If Hodgson gets the England job, i cant see Levy sacking Redknapp at the end of the season if the only viable candidates are young up and coming managers like Rodgers or Martinez....for a Mourinho or Hiddink, yes i think Levy would pull the trigger.

but Levy is smart, he is happy imv with us challebging for 4th every season. If we get there, great, if not, we try agin the following season. Redknapp kinda offers this and Levy wouldnt risk changing this

If we could do that (4th/5th) while the new stadium is being built it would be a great achievement.

Honesty is the best policy. If your objective is to make everyone think you're a ****.

There's honesty when you're asked an opinion, and there's also social conventions, laws, and normal behaviours that ensure things keep functioning smoothly.

If someone asks me an opinion, I'll happily give it. I will always be honest, because that way it ensures that in life people who like 'you for you' gravitate towards you and people that don't particularly like/agree with your style personaltiy generally still clear. People can smell a lie, awkwardness or dishonesty a mile off and it makes them uneasy. It's always best to be honest in a social situation. And personally I like that honesty from Harry. If he says Bongani couldn't get a game from Reading, well it's true. Saying 'I only have Bongani, who is an excellent option to have but I've actually never taken the opportunity to play him for some unknown reason' it would clearly be gonads. It wouldn't motivate Bongani to hear he is on the same level as King and Gallas. He isn't as good as them and being told that he is won't make it so. Honesty is the best policy when motivating people too, and hearing that he the manager doesn't rate him on the same level as his other centre backs may make him step his game up. It may not, but in won't make it worse because he wasn't going to get a chance anyway unless he became good enough. Wenger has admitted today that Arsenal were over-reliant on RVP. Some people on here that don't like hearing the truth may have sympathy for the Arsenal players (maybe if they were Arsenal fans in this example) because it means that guys like Song, Walcott, Koscielny have been put down. But in actual fact it won't make them play worse to hear that, because they know it's true. All it might do is make them step up to have more of an impact themselves.

But when it comes to social conventions, people don't go around telling everyone else they are a **** because a lot of the time, it isn't true. If they were really being honest with themselves, they'd understand that they don't really know that person, and if they did, there's probably plenty of people that think the same about themselves, and so nothing needs to be said. Also, if they were being honest with themselves, they probably wouldn't want a smack/to get arrested/to have people dislike them. So it is left alone.

In the case of Harry, he's only said the truth. He hasn't articulated himself well, but that's because he isn't the most articulate person. But what he has said isn't untrue and it isn't offensive. Some people just can't handle the truth.

Interesting.

How long is left on Harry's contract? You'd imagine that him and Levy will need to have a frank discussion in the next couple weeks about the future. Harry will want Levy to spend big, Levy will want to take a longer-term view than Harry obviously would given his age...

I think the opposite. I fudging hate PR and spin and all that flimflam where people publically say one thing but actually think another. Always reminds me of the moment I lost all respect for Ray Wilkins as a commentator.

Was in the early 90's and an England game. The game was really crap and England were poor. At the end of the first half Wilkins was giving his summary "England have played well, kept it tight, and there were a lot of positives out there". They cut to commercials....only there is a technical error and a bit of a delay. And you can hear Wilkins and the commentator talking between themselves and clearly hear Wilkins say "That was fudging awful wasn't it? England have been dreadful." After that moment, I never believe a single word that comes of Wilkins mouth when he is giving punditry.

okay to be honest about the footballing team etc etc, but if he was to have a go at the nation then there would be problems i think

I'm not really sure about the last part. I think Levy will be seriously tinkled off if we finished 5th or lower given where we were. And I think Levy will prefer a manager who takes a longer term view than Harry

The bigger question I think is what Harry wants
- Does he think that he's taken Spurs as far as he can?
- Does he think that, until we have the bigger stadium, we wont be able to pay top wages and therefore attact the top top players....in which can he may as well retire now because he'll be 68 or 69 by then
- How much hunger does he have for the Spurs job? Does he still view it as attractive after almost getting the England job?

If Harry wants to leave then he'll try to aggitate for a pay-off, despite it being unusual for someone getting paid on resignation

It could be best for all if Levy and Harry agree to some amicable way of parting company in a couple weeks time

Nope, I am talking about fanbase and revenue. Liverpool should be the second best team in the land under normal circumstances. With City and Chelsea not playing by the rules (those two should be first and second), Liverpool should be 4th.

okay i stand corrected. but the footballing talent in the squads pointed to something very diferent for me year on year

I would happily say everything I've said on here to his face - they're all perfectly fair comments in my eyes.

If he were able to explain himself to my face then my first question would be to ask why he doesn't clear all this up publicly to all fans? Either he means what he says or he doesn't think it's worth clearing things up - either way that's a complete lack of respect for us.
But I was talking about those who abuse him. I can't see much of the vitriol penned on here being articulated to him in real life.

He shouldn't have to clear up what he says, as it's really not so important to address what every media outlet chooses to put out, off the back of a conversation he had the previous day.

How is he to know what a furore he's caused by using the word, 'should'? BrainofLevy wrote it far better but much of this myopic criticism has come about because of Harry's inability to articulate his words properly.

Back