• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

Well i have been a critic of Redknapp for a while ( but have never gone in for abuse) i have also been saying for the last year or so that there is no way the FA will offer him the job, i have read through this thread and the one thing i have noticed is that those who accuse the Redknapp dissenters of blindness are just as guilty of being blind with their inability to see Redknapp's faults.

Some idiot has also said that those who criticise Redknapp do so from watching all games on a computer and never actually attend games, well i am a season ticket holder and very rarely miss a game home or away, so he has got that wrong.

There's honesty when you're asked an opinion, and there's also social conventions, laws, and normal behaviours that ensure things keep functioning smoothly.

If someone asks me an opinion, I'll happily give it. I will always be honest, because that way it ensures that in life people who like 'you for you' gravitate towards you and people that don't particularly like/agree with your style personaltiy generally still clear. People can smell a lie, awkwardness or dishonesty a mile off and it makes them uneasy. It's always best to be honest in a social situation. And personally I like that honesty from Harry. If he says Bongani couldn't get a game from Reading, well it's true. Saying 'I only have Bongani, who is an excellent option to have but I've actually never taken the opportunity to play him for some unknown reason' it would clearly be gonads. It wouldn't motivate Bongani to hear he is on the same level as King and Gallas. He isn't as good as them and being told that he is won't make it so. Honesty is the best policy when motivating people too, and hearing that he the manager doesn't rate him on the same level as his other centre backs may make him step his game up. It may not, but in won't make it worse because he wasn't going to get a chance anyway unless he became good enough. Wenger has admitted today that Arsenal were over-reliant on RVP. Some people on here that don't like hearing the truth may have sympathy for the Arsenal players (maybe if they were Arsenal fans in this example) because it means that guys like Song, Walcott, Koscielny have been put down. But in actual fact it won't make them play worse to hear that, because they know it's true. All it might do is make them step up to have more of an impact themselves.

But when it comes to social conventions, people don't go around telling everyone else they are a **** because a lot of the time, it isn't true. If they were really being honest with themselves, they'd understand that they don't really know that person, and if they did, there's probably plenty of people that think the same about themselves, and so nothing needs to be said. Also, if they were being honest with themselves, they probably wouldn't want a smack/to get arrested/to have people dislike them. So it is left alone.

In the case of Harry, he's only said the truth. He hasn't articulated himself well, but that's because he isn't the most articulate person. But what he has said isn't untrue and it isn't offensive. Some people just can't handle the truth.

I cant.

View attachment 529

But I was talking about those who abuse him. I can't see much of the vitriol penned on here being articulated to him in real life.

He shouldn't have to clear up what he says, as it's really not so important to address what every media outlet chooses to put out, off the back of a conversation he had the previous day.

How is he to know what a furore he's caused by using the word, 'should'? BrainofLevy wrote it far better but much of this myopic criticism has come about because of Harry's inability to articulate his words properly.

What does 'should' mean ?

But I was talking about those who abuse him. I can't see much of the vitriol penned on here being articulated to him in real life.

He shouldn't have to clear up what he says, as it's really not so important to address what every media outlet chooses to put out, off the back of a conversation he had the previous day.

How is he to know what a furore he's caused by using the word, 'should'? BrainofLevy wrote it far better but much of this myopic criticism has come about because of Harry's inability to articulate his words properly.

I agree, there's no need for the abuse on here - that would make us as disrespectful as him. I'd like to think Spurs fans are (on the whole) better than that.

As for clearing things up, this forum isn't the only place that disgruntled fans have been making their feelings known. The club are generally pretty good at keeping an eye on various forums and knowing what opinions are currently held. Harry doesn't personally have to check every forum, but you can be pretty sure someone at the club does and someone will have made it clear to Harry. It takes no time and no effort to make an apology (or even just to clarify comments taken out of context) - it does take some humility though and a realisation that you're not always doing/saying exactly the right thing. If he's not very good at articulating things, there are a number of press relations staff at the club who can prepare a statement for him if he makes it clear to them what he wants to clear up/apologise for.

you know what, the more i think about it , the more it i dont believe he needs to have a go at fans and in the same interview tell those hopeful fans they are idiots and that their club 'should' be somewhere else other than where those fans want it to be

i think that was wrong.

obviously he's telling the truth but bad delivery IMO. we are a big club but we havent earned the right to expect top 4 every year....it should be within reach every year but we arent a 'top 4' team.

this year however we clearly are,....the belief has risen abbit and the talent can match any team out there when on song.

4th was the target at the beginning of the season and it should be how we are judged come the the end.

look at city and united and scum.....peaks and troughs...no is on high form forever unless they are barca

Conspiracy against spurs. Why now? Arsenals hardest game left away to West Brom, now their minds will be elsewhere. David Dein influence on the FA.....

I agree, there's no need for the abuse on here - that would make us as disrespectful as him. I'd like to think Spurs fans are (on the whole) better than that.

As for clearing things up, this forum isn't the only place that disgruntled fans have been making their feelings known. The club are generally pretty good at keeping an eye on various forums and knowing what opinions are currently held. Harry doesn't personally have to check every forum, but you can be pretty sure someone at the club does and someone will have made it clear to Harry. It takes no time and no effort to make an apology (or even just to clarify comments taken out of context) - it does take some humility though and a realisation that you're not always doing/saying exactly the right thing. If he's not very good at articulating things, there are a number of press relations staff at the club who can prepare a statement for him if he makes it clear to them what he wants to clear up/apologise for.

You call it being as disrespectful as him, I call it a bit of what goes around comes around. Polski mentioned it was because he's not very articulate, but I can assure you Harry is no stupid man, yes he painted himself this picture of someone very dumb when it came to his trial but he is not daft in the slightest. He knows exactly what he is saying, and when his managerial skills are questioned is when he gets very defensive and pukes up his bile. Its all about Harry and always has been. He never answers his critisism, he deflects away to his 2 pts from 8 games speel. That is someone that knows exactly what he is saying and doing.

An applogy is exactly what is needed and an end to his media whoring. Personally, I'd rather have him shown the door.

Anyone know what the 'I'm not a wheeler dealer I'm a football manager' said in the press conference there ?

Listening to Talksport, they're all in total denial. "This is just a ploy to smoke out Redknapp" and so on. Sound like jilted lovers.

Sickening aint it.

It's almost worth him staying now so we can be portrayed as the bad guys - love it!

Now we can fudge Harry off and they can all say how we're ****s for denying him England, even though it wrecked our season.

Harry will be massively tinkled off but it serves him right. He's been speaking and acting as if he'd been appointed for a couple of months now.

I'm not one for conspiracies but this has all worked out amazingly well for Arsena. Firstly after Harry being linked they take full advantage of our resulting slump in form to take 3rd, now as they look to tie it up in the remaining 2 matches they face a soon to be managerless WBA. A potentially tough match with Hodgeson in charge and a CL/3rd place decider.

Completely agree - Harry has been England Manager in his head and it HAS SHOWED!

I'm just hoping the positive upside is that we scrape Champs League and then Levy has a decision to make.

The way Harry has behaved is appaling. And the FA have been spooked by his constant rent-a-gob drivel

The factfile :

1947: Born on August 9 in Croydon.

1965-75: Player with Crystal Palace, Gravesend and Northfleet, Maidstone and South African side Berea Park.

1976: Starts managerial career with Halmstad in Sweden, winning two championships.

1980: Joins Bristol City as assistant manager.

1982: Appointed manager at Ashton Gate but dismissed within four months after poor run of results when club is taken over by new owners. Returns to Sweden, where he manages Orebro and then Malmo, who won five consecutive championships and two Swedish Cups under him.

1990: Leaves Sweden for Switzerland, taking over at Neuchatel Xamax.

1992: Becomes manager of Switzerland, whom he takes to the 1994 World Cup finals in the United States. Also in charge when they qualified for Euro 96.

1995: Appointed manager of Inter Milan.

1997: Agrees to become Blackburn manager (left) in the summer. While still at Inter, his side lose to German club Schalke in the UEFA Cup final on penalties.

1998: May: Takes Blackburn into European competition for the first time since 1995 but Rovers win only two of their final 11 Premier League matches to fail in chase for title.

November: Sacked by Blackburn with the club bottom of the Premier League, having taken just nine points from 14 games.

1999: Shortlisted for Austria job. Returns to Inter on April 27 as technical director until the end of the season.
Joins Swiss side Grasshopper.

2000: Appointed coach of Danish side FC Copenhagen. Linked with England job after resignation of Kevin Keegan.

2001: May - Takes Copenhagen to the Superliga title.

August: Takes over as coach of Serie A club Udinese.

December 10 - Udinese and Hodgson part company.

2002: April - Appointed manager of the United Arab Emirates.

2004: January - Sacked after leading side to fifth place at the Gulf Cup.

May - Joins Norwegian side Viking FK.

2005: August - Agrees to take over as boss of Finland national team.

2007: November 30 - Quits after failing to secure qualification for Euro 2008.

December 30 - Appointed Fulham manager.

2008: Fulham win four of their last five Premier League games of the season to stave off relegation.

2009: Guides the Cottagers to their highest ever top-flight finish, seventh, and ensures Europa League qualification.

2010: March 18 - Oversees a stunning second-leg comeback against Juventus in the Europa League quarter-final as a 4-1 win takes Fulham into the quarter-finals 5-4 on aggregate.

May 12 - Hodgson's side go down 2-1 to Atletico Madrid in extra-time in the Europa League final in Hamburg.
J
uly 1 - Announced as new manager of Liverpool on a three-year contract.

September 23 - Dumped out of the League Cup on penalties at Anfield by League Two side Northampton.

October 3 - Poor form continues with a 2-1 defeat to newly-promoted Blackpool - again at Anfield.

October 15 - US company New England Sports Ventures, owner of the Boston Red Sox, complete their takeover of Liverpool.

December 29 - Criticises Reds fans after another home defeat - this time 1-0 to Wolves.

2011: January 8 - Liverpool announce Hodgson has left the club.

February 11 - Takes over as West Brom coach after the Baggies part company with Roberto Di Matteo.

May - Takes West Brom to 11th in the table after a strong end-of-season run.

April 22 - Leads his side to a 1-0 win over Liverpool on his first return to Anfield.

April 29 - West Brom grant the Football Association permission to speak to Hodgson about the vacant manager's position.

Infinitly better qualified that Harry - not even close!!!!!!

Look at what Redknapp did with a bunch of average players at Portsmouth and West Ham.

Look at what Hodgson did at Blackburn and Liverpool.

YOur credibility is absolutely shot if you can put the two CV's side by side and conclude Roy's achievements are less than Harry.

Myopic doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
Roy is a funny one, technically the better choice by a mile, but I just dont think he can hack it. He couldnt handle the press/fan scrutiny at Liverpool - England is 10x worse.

This leaves us with very uncertain times as well. Redknapp clearly wanted to go, has had one foot out the door for a while now.

Can he settle back in again? Should we let him?

You reckon Harry is any better?

Paper thin skin!!

Back