• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New England manager = Roy Hodgson

In fairness to him, he also bought well on the cheap on several occasions. Rob Lee and Andy Cole were signed in the 1st division, from other clubs outside the top flight and cost next to nothing. Yet became key players for several years. All the while we were spunking the same kind of money on Dozzell, Cundy etc.

Comparative to the times they weren't that cheap. Granted they weren't top price but they were the equilavent of spending ?ú6m to ?ú8m in todays market.

You really believe that?

Yes. Keegan was appointed 13 years ago. The FA executive is now comprised of different people. You may as well go back another 4 years to the appointment of Venables and say that they might be keen on Harry because Venables was the media choice too. And he did well. There is nothing to say the Keegan decision will have come into it in the slightest.

Good point, although i think it has more to do with him not being good enough and they did not want another KK situation.

No, that's your belief. In English football at least, I wouldn't say Hodgson's record is any better than Redknapp's. Indeed considering Spurs are Redknapp's first bite at a competitive club, where Hodgson has had two bites of very competitive clubs and been fired quite early on from both, I don't think it's unreasonable to state that Redknapp is possibly better than Hodgson.

Yes. Keegan was appointed 13 years ago. The FA executive is now comprised of different people. You may as well go back another 4 years to the appointment of Venables and say that they might be keen on Harry because Venables was the media choice too. And he did well. There is nothing to say the Keegan decision will have come into it in the slightest.

Well we disagree on that, and i guess we shall find out soon.

No, that's your belief. In English football at least, I wouldn't say Hodgson's record is any better than Redknapp's. Indeed considering Spurs are Redknapp's first bite at a competitive club, where Hodgson has had two bites of very competitive clubs and been fired quite early on from both, I don't think it's unreasonable to state that Redknapp is possibly better than Hodgson.

Woy can set out a tactical team look what he did with a bunch of average players at Fulham, and yes it is my belief that he will do a better job for England.

Comparative to the times they weren't that cheap. Granted they weren't top price but they were the equilavent of spending ?ú6m to ?ú8m in todays market.

But good value when you look at what other clubs were getting for the same price, at that stage. This was a bit more of a competitive era where big spending didn't always pay dividends, unless you got it right. There is no better example than that than the man who replaced Keegan. Dalglish. They'd never finished outside the top 6 under Keegan and yet they finished 13th in his first full season and then they were in the bottom 3 when he was sacked the following season IIRC. And the spending did not let up under Dalglish or Gullit who followed him, for that matter. They just wasted it. This is where I trace their decline back to, actually. All of money was flushed down the toilet and it wasn't rewarded with CL football. They were playing catch up after that and really made it, despite Robson turning it around somewhat, for a period.

Woy can set out a tactical team look what he did with a bunch of average players at Fulham, and yes it is my belief that he will do a better job for England.

Look at what Redknapp did with a bunch of average players at Portsmouth and West Ham.

Look at what Hodgson did at Blackburn and Liverpool.

I think that Redknapp is a better coach at setting out a team to attack and Hodgeson is better at setting up a team to nullify the opposition. I think that Redknapp is a better motivator but Hodgeson is probably more tactically aware. Horses for courses but both have their strengths.

Look at what Redknapp did with a bunch of average players at Portsmouth and West Ham.

Well he never had a chance at Liverpool but he had more points when he was sacked then King Kenny got over the same amount of games, and in his only full season he finished 6th at Blackburn.

However seeing as we are talking about international football i am not saying he is better or worse at club football; but i have no doubt he will do a better job at international level.

I think that Redknapp is a better coach at setting out a team to attack and Hodgeson is better at setting up a team to nullify the opposition. I think that Redknapp is a better motivator but Hodgeson is probably more tactically aware. Horses for courses but both have their strengths.

And that is what is needed at international level and what i am saying.

Damn stuck with a Manager who has had us challenging for top four in the last three seasons.

He inherited a great team with players hitting their prime after the squad was left in the lurch with Ramos who failed miserably through both communication and not wanting to be here.

I would go as far out as saying any half descent manager could have had similar results with our squad.

Tactically however I haven't been overly impressed still favouring the 451 and lacking the goals, relying on Bale, VDV and Modric for most games.
I would also say the transfers under him haven't been overly impressive apart from the magical work from Levy to get VDV, something harry didn't even know much about until deadline day.

I will say he did well with Scott parker though. Crouch, Pienar, Chimbonda, Keane, Bassong, Palacios, Defoe, Kranjar, Saha all backwards steps.

If we don't get champions league (something we shouldn't even be debating) we can say bye bye to Bale and Modric at the very least.

That will leave us back to square one, finishing 6th-11th in the league.

So is it confirmed that Roy's the new manager yet? :-k or is this just talks? Can still see something happening with Harry, we all know what the FA are like.

In fairness, Redknapp has had periods of struggle too - towards the end at West Ham and at Southampton. I think Hodgson is a similar mixed bag. Not so bothered about the foreign jobs. In Italy in particular they seem to change their manager every few months. See that documentary on QPR with the Italians running it! Madness! And as I recall, he finished 6th with Blackburn, after they'd been midtable before that and then they sacked him early in the next season. Reflects more poorly on them now, looking back. And he did a decent job at Fulham.

In fairness, Redknapp has had periods of struggle too - towards the end at West Ham and at Southampton. I think Hodgson is a similar mixed bag. Not so bothered about the foreign jobs. In Italy in particular they seem to change their manager every few months. See that documentary on QPR with the Italians running it! Madness! And as I recall, he finished 6th with Blackburn, after they'd been midtable before that and then they sacked him early in the next season. Reflects more poorly on them now, looking back. And he did a decent job at Fulham.

Similar to us this year. They were actually battling for the title but won only twice in their last eleven matches (and one of them was on the final game of the season) and slid to 6th.

He inherited a great team with players hitting their prime after the squad was left in the lurch with Ramos who failed miserably through both communication and not wanting to be here.

I would go as far out as saying any half descent manager could have had similar results with our squad.

Tactically however I haven't been overly impressed still favouring the 451 and lacking the goals, relying on Bale, VDV and Modric for most games.
I would also say the transfers under him haven't been overly impressive apart from the magical work from Levy to get VDV, something harry didn't even know much about until deadline day.

I will say he did well with Scott parker though. Crouch, Pienar, Chimbonda, Keane, Bassong, Palacios, Defoe, Kranjar, Saha all backwards steps.

If we don't get champions league (something we shouldn't even be debating) we can say bye bye to Bale and Modric at the very least.

That will leave us back to square one, finishing 6th-11th in the league.

I would say you're wrong, especially regarding Crouch. Given Ade's woeful form of late, I wish Crouch was at the club as an alternative.

Perhaps they will speak to Harry as soon as our CL aspirations are dashed?
Maybe they've even spoken to him already!

Roy is a funny one, technically the better choice by a mile, but I just dont think he can hack it. He couldnt handle the press/fan scrutiny at Liverpool - England is 10x worse.

This leaves us with very uncertain times as well. Redknapp clearly wanted to go, has had one foot out the door for a while now.

Can he settle back in again? Should we let him?

I would say you're wrong, especially regarding Crouch. Given Ade's woeful form of late, I wish Crouch was at the club as an alternative.

What, you mean you miss all 4 goals that Crouch scored for us in the league last season?
Adebayor's overall game is far superior and he has added a presence that Crouch never could.

Back