• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

I'm a big fan, but if he doesn't buy in then he has to go.
Ironically I likened him to souness.

I saw Souness play in the youth team along with Perryman when we won the FA Youth Cup, he dominated games and stood head and shoulders above other players, Souness was a lot better passer, tackler and kept the ball. He had more awareness of what was going on around him, it was a very bad day he left us for Middlesbrough .

We do have a habit of doing that over the years.

We also have a habit of writing off players prematurely. Bale, Kane, Lamela, Walker, Rose, even Carrick was written off by some in that 6-9 month spell between being signed and being obviously excellent.

He was described as the next Franz Beckenbauer by MJ, Burley said he was the best young thing around. The hype that surrounded him was way over the top and he now finds himself in the Championship. Stop! Hammer time though.

His injuries took a real toll. Swings and roundabouts and what ends up happening isn't always the only possible outcome. Sandro also ended up in the Championship (now back in the PL of course), another one where injuries took a real toll. In an alternate universe Kane doesn't get or take his key chances and gets sold and is just another over hyped young player.

Bentaleb has had his attitude praised by both Sherwood and Pochettino and has obviously been rated highly by both. If he keeps his head down and keeps working hard he has a very high ceiling in deed.

I saw Souness play in the youth team along with Perryman when we won the FA Youth Cup, he dominated games and stood head and shoulders above other players, Souness was a lot better passer, tackler and kept the ball. He had more awareness of what was going on around him, it was a very bad day he left us for Middlesbrough .

Bentaleb turned 21 in November. Meaning that two years ago he would have been 18 at the start of the season and eligible for the FA Youth Cup. That's the season Sherwood started using him in the Premier League in December having just turned 19.

Let's just say that I think the Bentaleb we saw in those games in the PL was head and shoulders above anyone playing in the FA Youth Cup at the same time... But he'd already moved ahead of that level of competition and instead featured in our U21 side more or less since signing for us at 18 and of course was playing PL football instead of FA Youth Cup football in his last year of being eligible for that competition.

I think we are overthinking the situation with Nabil. He is still young and it shows at times in the way he plays. He lost his place due to injury and now has to earn it back because other players have come in and performed well. We have a great manager who doesn't care about reputations which keeps the squad especially the young players keen to impress. I for one feel he is a very talented player he just has to show Poch he is worthy of his place on a consistent basis.

I agree he has potential, but he's immature, he seems to believe he is the finished product and can do as he wants. This can be a great asset to a player as many good young players are held back by lack of confidence, but his lack of discipline has cost the team and unless he can learn to think as a team player he will not make it here under our manager. In a way it's a similar situation to when Souness and Perryman were here, there was no rotation then with two England international in midfield there was only room for one other and Perryman got the spot as he was more mature and a team player. I don't doubt he could leave us and become like Pogba but it would take a change it attitude for him to do it.

I agree he has potential, but he's immature, he seems to believe he is the finished product and can do as he wants. This can be a great asset to a player as many good young players are held back by lack of confidence, but his lack of discipline has cost the team and unless he can learn to think as a team player he will not make it here under our manager. In a way it's a similar situation to when Souness and Perryman were here, there was no rotation then with two England international in midfield there was only room for one other and Perryman got the spot as he was more mature and a team player. I don't doubt he could leave us and become like Pogba but it would take a change it attitude for him to do it.

Based on?

Based on?
Passing without looking, trying dummies in the wrong situation, losing the ball 10 yards from his own penalty area and failing to mark runners, I make the assumption that he has been told these are faults, of course I could be wrong and this is exactly what the management want from their midfield, but if he has been told and still continues to carry on in this manner he his immature and lacking in team ethic. As I've said before I want all our players do well but I do see their faults, I loved Dawson but I could see his short comings.

Passing without looking, trying dummies in the wrong situation, losing the ball 10 yards from his own penalty area and failing to mark runners, I make the assumption that he has been told these are faults, of course I could be wrong and this is exactly what the management want from their midfield, but if he has been told and still continues to carry on in this manner he his immature and lacking in team ethic. As I've said before I want all our players do well but I do see their faults, I loved Dawson but I could see his short comings.

A 19/20 year old deep playmaker getting some of those decisions wrong doesn't sound like a wrong attitude, discipline, lack of willingness to learn or anything like what you suggested above. To me at least...

Immature I can see. He's very young and still short on experience playing that role for a team at our level. Even relatively short on experience playing first time football full stop. But the kinds of mistakes you describe happens even to world class players, but of course at a different frequency.

For Bentaleb to learn to make the right decisions he will sometimes make the wrong decisions. Just like all our young players.

Edit: Seems shocking to me that all these mental problems were evident from Bentaleb's game last season. Yet Pochettino clearly kept playing him and rating him. I thought Pochettino was big on the whole attitude thing? How does that make sense to you? Pochettino didn't see what you could so clearly see? Or Pochettino just didn't bother too much with attitude when it came to Bentaleb?

A 19/20 year old deep playmaker getting some of those decisions wrong doesn't sound like a wrong attitude, discipline, lack of willingness to learn or anything like what you suggested above. To me at least...

Immature I can see. He's very young and still short on experience playing that role for a team at our level. Even relatively short on experience playing first time football full stop. But the kinds of mistakes you describe happens even to world class players, but of course at a different frequency.

For Bentaleb to learn to make the right decisions he will sometimes make the wrong decisions. Just like all our young players.

Edit: Seems shocking to me that all these mental problems were evident from Bentaleb's game last season. Yet Pochettino clearly kept playing him and rating him. I thought Pochettino was big on the whole attitude thing? How does that make sense to you? Pochettino didn't see what you could so clearly see? Or Pochettino just didn't bother too much with attitude when it came to Bentaleb?

Ok I submit he's great and should play every week, but then my life and happiness doesn't depend on our results.

The debate seems to be going strong on a few threads at the moment but thought it best to post here. Seems like a lot have forgot any sort of contribution that this young lad made for us last season. Could be worth checking out a video or two to remind people of important moments as well as general involvements in the game*

*Hint of the day; Perhaps try Arsenal away for starters

The debate seems to be going strong on a few threads at the moment but thought it best to post here. Seems like a lot have forgot any sort of contribution that this young lad made for us last season. Could be worth checking out a video or two to remind people of important moments as well as general involvements in the game*

I suspect you mean Arsenal at Home, but i take your point..

He was a very important player for us last season, no question. However, two things have happened

- His contract negotiation, there are a lot of rumours that he played a little too much hard ball, gave a little too much attitude.
- In his absence the team has markedly improved

He needs to put his head down, work hard, take his chances and figure out what role/type of player he can be for us.

I was just listening to the Alli 4-4-2 interview and he said Bentaleb and Lamela have a long running two touch competition (keepy-uppy we used to call it) that is very competitive and some times a bit heated. Alli also mentioned he was often the last player off the training pitch. Not a lot to go on but it might give a little peek in through the window of his personality.

Back