• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

The most overrated one on our books was the plodder, where's me tin hat. :eek:

Stuart Nethercott, that guy was just dreadful, i mean woeful. that game v Southampton where he air kicked it and Le Tissier scored. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Stuart Nethercott, that guy was just dreadful, i mean woeful. that game v Southampton where he air kicked it and Le Tissier scored. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Indeed; all memories that show how far we have come.....i almost feel ready to erase the late 90s from my memory....

Indeed; all memories that show how far we have come.....i almost feel ready to erase the late 90s from my memory....

No chance, i mean often going to matches i would actually laugh at how bad we were, some of the goals we conceded, it was true entertainment, to be that bad at times.

No chance, i mean often going to matches i would actually laugh at how bad we were, some of the goals we conceded, it was true entertainment, to be that bad at times.

I guess that's true; and i guess it helps us to generally enjoy the present upturn a lot more

Without trying to derail this thread even more, do many of you remember big discussions about Huddlestone, O'Hara and Livermore and what levels they would end up in professional football?
VERY interesting looking back now...

Ha i wrote Huddlestone but thought "no he cant mean big bad Tom"

We have a winner, I know he played more then some of the others but the hype that surrounded him when he came here was really over the top ( imo). Because of that I do think he was the most overrated of them all.

We have a winner, I know he played more then some of the others but the hype that surrounded him when he came here was really over the top ( imo). Because of that I do think he was the most overrated of them all.

Surely Postiga was more over rated, or indeed Rebrov. Being Johnny Foreigner with a big price tag and at the same time being dreadful.

Surely Postiga was more over rated, or indeed Rebrov. Being Johnny Foreigner with a big price tag and at the same time being dreadful.

Not really Rebrov ( Dynamo Kiev, 75 caps for Ukraine, alongside Shevchenko they were a great strike pairing), Postiga ( Porto, Valencia, Lazio, 71 caps for Portugal) I know neither one hit it off here but they did well elsewhere. Now look at the plodders record ( Derby, Spurs, Hull and 4 caps for England).

Not really Rebrov ( Dynamo Kiev, 75 caps for Ukraine, alongside Shevchenko they were a great strike pairing), Postiga ( Porto, Valencia, Lazio, 71 caps for Portugal) I know neither one hit it off here but they did well elsewhere. Now look at the plodders record ( Derby, Spurs, Hull and 4 caps for England).

Ok i get you, didnt reach the heights for us and ultimately the quality or lack thereof was proven by the rest of their careers.

Harsh. He was among our best players in the year we qualified for the CL and a significant contributor to our decent run in said competition. I'd say in those two years he went a decent way towards justifying the hype. He added a measure of flair and invention to our midfield, something we were quite often lacking otherwise.

The long-term injury and weight issues that followed were a big reason he lost his way.

Harsh. He was among our best players in the year we qualified for the CL and a significant contributor to our decent run in said competition. I'd say in those two years he went a decent way towards justifying the hype. He added a measure of flair and invention to our midfield, something we were quite often lacking otherwise.

The long-term injury and weight issues that followed were a big reason he lost his way.

He was described as the next Franz Beckenbauer by MJ, Burley said he was the best young thing around. The hype that surrounded him was way over the top and he now finds himself in the Championship. Stop! Hammer time though.

He was described as the next Franz Beckenbauer by MJ, Burley said he was the best young thing around. The hype that surrounded him was way over the top and he now finds himself in the Championship. Stop! Hammer time though.

I think he, of all the talents, is a prime example of mentality not being where it needed to be to fulfill his potential. I still, BTW, think Bentaleb has a very bright future, as his attitude is one of a fighter. We shall see. I trust the manager.

Sad you feel unable to offer even a passing acknowledgement to the contribution of a player who helped take us further in Europe than we'd achieved for a couple of decades, preferring only to focus on the negatives.

Hey ho. Takes all sorts I suppose.

I think he, of all the talents, is a prime example of mentality not being where it needed to be to fulfill his potential. I still, BTW, think Bentaleb has a very bright future, as his attitude is one of a fighter. We shall see. I trust the manager.

I hope you are right mate I really do, but at this moment in time he still has a long way to go to convince me that the hype is justified.

Back