• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I may be proven wrong but not that I recall. The Times seem very sure of themselves in a way other media outlets aren’t.

That said, I’d have put the mortgage, wife and kids on Toby being a United player by now so nothing is certain.

I think things will be more clear in the next 6/7 weeks; until then papers do have to be shifted and websites clicked on.
Either way, WE are in the driving seat NOT Man Utd Board or their cheerleaders in the Press.

I don't want Poch to go. I don't want Poch to go :(

However, imagining a future without Poch is one that we may well have to face one day. Howe has Bournemouth playing good football but they never look the best defensively. They do have a brick keeper in Begovic and before him Boruc let in some absolute howlers to undo the good football they played, so I'm unsure if it's all poor defending. On top of that Howe has done it all on a relatively small budget, which would put him in a good place working with Levy and knows the Premier League. On the downside he has no experience with European football.

On the opposite side of that you have a coach like Jardim who is currently a free agent with European pedigree but no knowledge of the Premier league. Then there are a plethora of up and coming coaches who would look to carry on with what Poch has already built here.

Oh and on the subject of him getting respect at UTD. Poch is not the up and coming coach that he was when he took over here. The players at any club know what working with him means and know that he gets results. Young players like Rashford would buy into his methods instantly and were there any holdouts, there would be the same tipping point there that happened here with the old stick in the muds being ousted by the young'ns.

I just hope all this doesn't fudge our season up. Poch has said the right things publicly and with players like Dele, Eriksen and Kane off limits to UTD (don't think Levy wouldn't put a clause in Poch's deal to UTD that didn't include poaching our players) he may think again. As far as the organisation goes, even the UTD fans reckon Woodward and the board are the bigger problem at UTD. This too could be a sticking point in any contractual agreements down the line.

Mauricio Pochettino wants United job but would cost £34m

Mauricio Pochettino wants to be considered for the Manchester United manager’s job next season despite having four-and-a-half years left on his contract at Tottenham Hotspur.

The Argentinian is understood to regard the opportunity of moving to Old Trafford as too good to turn down, although it would cost United £34 million in compensation to prise him from Tottenham, which would take the club’s total bill for sacking José Mourinho earlier today past £50 million.

Pochettino refused to rule out the possibility of moving to United when asked about his intentions in a press conference today and is believed to have given the prospect serious thought already.

Despite his attachment to Tottenham and good working relationship with chairman Daniel Levy the 46-year-old is understood to have deep frustrations about the way the club his run, particularly regarding the lack of backing he has received in the transfer market, a tightly-controlled wage structure, the failure to offload players he no longer wanted last summer and delays to the opening of their new stadium.

Pochettino will have to continue operating within such financial restrictions at Tottenham for several years even after the stadium is open, which would not apply to him at Old Trafford.

While United may not appear to be the right fit for a manager who values a strong work ethic and team unity above a superstar culture, Pochettino has doubts about whether he can achieve all his ambitions at Tottenham, who have not won a trophy for ten years. Despite being criticised by some observers for prioritising Champions League qualification ahead of silverware, Pochettino is very ambitious and is not content with finishing in the top four every year.
Pochettino is also coveted by Real Madrid, who are also planning to make a permanent managerial appointment at the end of the season, but views the United job as a greater opportunity as it is becomes available less frequently.

My emphasis

If anyone is on Twitter, please call out this cun1 @MattHughesTimes

"it is thought that" Poch would find the job too good to turn down = the jorno thinks that. There are no sources. Spurs are obviously not the source, and United would not be able to say that with any certainty right now. Ergo Matt Twunt Hughes made it up.

Then the jorno says Poch "didn't rule out" going to united in his press confrence. Watch the confrence, I posted it in the OMT. Poch says 'my focus is solely on Spurs' words to that effect. Lost respect for the Times in putting together a tabloid piece like this. Please call out @MattHughesTimes

I thought the Times has been a tabloid for years, no?

The Times are reporting he wants the job. That’s come from his camp. So he either will go or he’s trying to use the situation to get what he wants (squad investment I’d bet).

If he is going, it’s a bad situation. Levy won’t want to go into the new stadium with a lame duck manager or with Poch having to be put on gardening leave or something. I can’t see Poch lying to the media just to avoid that sort of situation because he values his integrity. This will be an interesting few weeks.

What is Poch’s camp? Does he have an agent now?

I thought the Times has been a tabloid for years, no?

On this evidence yes!

You mean in size? In content it's often seen as less sensationalist as classic tabloids. But they are all w-hores to selling stories, whether they use posh language, or whether the story is true or not! Sales come first.

Last edited:
I don't want Poch to go. I don't want Poch to go :(

However, imagining a future without Poch is one that we may well have to face one day. Howe has Bournemouth playing good football but they never look the best defensively. They do have a brick keeper in Begovic and before him Boruc let in some absolute howlers to undo the good football they played, so I'm unsure if it's all poor defending. On top of that Howe has done it all on a relatively small budget, which would put him in a good place working with Levy and knows the Premier League. On the downside he has no experience with European football.

On the opposite side of that you have a coach like Jardim who is currently a free agent with European pedigree but no knowledge of the Premier league. Then there are a plethora of up and coming coaches who would look to carry on with what Poch has already built here.

Oh and on the subject of him getting respect at UTD. Poch is not the up and coming coach that he was when he took over here. The players at any club know what working with him means and know that he gets results. Young players like Rashford would buy into his methods instantly and were there any holdouts, there would be the same tipping point there that happened here with the old stick in the muds being ousted by the young'ns.

I just hope all this doesn't fudge our season up. Poch has said the right things publicly and with players like Dele, Eriksen and Kane off limits to UTD (don't think Levy wouldn't put a clause in Poch's deal to UTD that didn't include poaching our players) he may think again. As far as the organisation goes, even the UTD fans reckon Woodward and the board are the bigger problem at UTD. This too could be a sticking point in any contractual agreements down the line.

In a hypothetical world where there is a danger of Poch leaving, I would go for Bielsa personally. Poch's mentor is surprisingly only 63 and could manage us for a good few years until the selection of managers begins to look more clear and appetising. Would be as close to a seamless transaction as we could get.

There's no point taking it out on him, he's just doing his job. He was probably given half an hour to cobble something together and it will be one of half a dozen United stories they run tomorrow.

Its the back page headline and he's posting on Twitter in the last half an hour discussing it, giving it credence. When clearly it is speculation dressed up as news. It is not journalism, but gosip.

In a hypothetical world where there is a danger of Poch leaving, I would go for Bielsa personally. Poch's mentor is surprisingly only 63 and could manage us for a good few years until the selection of managers begins to look more clear and appetising. Would be as close to a seamless transaction as we could get.

Very different tempraments though, I couldn't see him working well with Levy.

An interesting discussion to be had is how does this situation differ from when Capello resigned from his job with England?

Could the speculation derail us in a similar way?
Can poch's head be turned in the same way that it seemed Redknapp's was?
Is Poch simply too professional for that?
Could some of our players be distracted? Are we heading for another Saha/Nelson January window??:eek:

Ok that last bit is slightly sick, but what about the other bits? Discuss...

Its the back page headline and he's posting on Twitter in the last half an hour discussing it, giving it credence. When clearly it is speculation dressed up as news. It is not journalism, but gosip.

Of course but it is also his job to print the piece on social media and generate web traffic.

What is Poch’s camp? Does he have an agent now?

He doesn’t have an agent as I mentioned already. However, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have people close to him that could put out messages to pursue an agenda which may, or may not, be to leave us for United.

Would be an absolute car crash and worse than if Jose was to come here...

Back