• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I do like how animated Poch was yesterday. I liked the way he called Eriksen over and gave him a bit of a dressing down and it seemed to have an impact as within minutes Eriksen's quick closing down led to our goal.
I also take my hat off to him re Mason. When i saw the team i emailed a couple of mates and said it was a ridiculous decision and that it would cost us the game - to the contrary, i think his performance on Wednesday (Poch bringing him on as a sub) and then again yesterday will mean Mason suddenly becomes an option and pushes players like Bentaleb etc to be better.
After the West Brom game i was pretty down about things, but the results on wednesday and yesterday have me feeling a bit more positive about Poch. Still need a striker and need to sort out how to set up our attacking three behind the striker, but generally i am encouraged. If we'd won one of the WBA or Sunderland matches, we'd be looking pretty good.
My only concern is whether this group of players can play Poch's pressing game week-in, week-out. They seem to press/chase for 10 mins and then revert to Sherwood/AVB mode for 20 mins. Whenever we play the pressing game , we look really good.

Not really Sherwood mode imo (not looking for a Sherwood discussion).

Rather rare under Poch to see forwards or attacking midfielders go pressing on their own leaving gaps. We press high as a unit when we press high and we defend deeper as a unit when we defend deeper.

My first thought was Dembele, but also Soldado. Dembele's natural game doesn't fit into the Pochettino style of football as I see it.

Hmmm. Originates from Jason Burt who was so far up AVB's bum it bordered on embarrassing. This smacks of the first opportunity to have a dig at the club that did his mate wrong...

Frustrates me that poch doesn't change things. We were awful the second half, mason I visible, ade terrible, why did it take him to the 80th minute to make a sub? Very very frustrating.

I felt the same GY. We were clearly rocking and they had 3 or 4 good chances to score from 65 mins onwards. I would have liked to see Poch be a bit more decisive and bring on Dembele earlier to help shore up the midfield.

Pochettino's first priority was the defence. I think he sat down over the summer and prioritised it. Hence the defensive signing. While we are still conceding some sloppy goals, we look so much more resilient with strong individual performances. Rose, Kaboul, Naughton have looked much improved.

The midfield has to be the next priority. I don't feel we have a strong heart yet. Capoue is predominately defensive and doing a good job. His partner is tbc. But the deeper two are not running games yet. Dictating play as you'd love them to. If they were I think we'd create more scoring chances, and concede less dangerous possession (where the opposition nick the ball and have a free run at our defence).

Its early days for Poch still. He's effectively coaching two sides. Does that dilute his work? Does he need more coaches and support staff?
I have every confidence in him still. It will take time. Especially building on such shaky foundations.

In terms of what is going on I am fairly optimistic that we will have a good 2nd half of the season, of course I cant legislate for unknown injuries. While this rotation policy might be annoying some with different sides for the league and cup games I think over the course of the season our players will benefit from everyone of the squad being involved and more importantly we wont be affected by fatigue as the season progresses.

Compare us to Chelsea,City,Liverpool, and the other lot, like us they are playing similar amounts of games to us with European involvement but are not rotating like we are...nowhere near as much. Arsenal with their injuries are really stretched at the moment. We can always hope our players are fresher in the second half of the season.

Its very clear that freshness and time to plan really helped Liverpool last season have a really good 2nd half of the season even though they slipped up at the end, trying not to get to hopeful as I am sure we are in for a rough time at the Etihad in a couple of weeks, however today's performance was a step in the right direction, I actually think its very important our europa league team can qualify.

Really pleased we/poch got the win today to take the pressure off, no one will expect us to do anything at the etihad, so we can hopefully play with a bit of freedom.

The win today and the performance has given me hope that we will improve as the season progresses and that poch is making positive strides with us! VIVA LA SPURS!

^ this.

i've always maintained that this is a transitional season, and the evidence is poch giving everyone a fair chance at games.

i do believe that Poch will consolidate the squad in the winter alongside our progress through the cups and we will see a much stronger first eleven.

meanwhile its good to see poch trying out new formations/strategies/new player positions here and there, I'd rather the tinkering be done in the first half of the season so that we can mount a proper surge up the table for a positive end to the season.

i still have some doubts about the balance of the team and if poch is ready/can make some hard calls; but its still early days, will withold judgement for now.

Hmmm. Originates from Jason Burt who was so far up AVB's bum it bordered on embarrassing. This smacks of the first opportunity to have a dig at the club that did his mate wrong...

To be honest though, forget the headline. If you read the article it is actually pretty positive about the club.

Says that although there are some in the squad who are doubtful, the club are prepared to back the manager over any players.
Say the club realise they need stability so they're giving Poch a season or two to work with the squad and see who will fit his system and who will won't.
Says that the club gave him a 5 year deal and want to give him time regardless of results (as long as they're not particularly dire i guess) until he has a squad he is happy with.
Says that in the opinion of the club, the players are the ones who have to prove their worth to the club, not Poch.

So i wouldn't get hung up on the headline or on Burt, as what Burt has written is pretty much that any player who does't buckle up and get with the Poch programme will be shown the door by Spurs.

To be honest though, forget the headline. If you read the article it is actually pretty positive about the club.

Says that although there are some in the squad who are doubtful, the club are prepared to back the manager over any players.
Say the club realise they need stability so they're giving Poch a season or two to work with the squad and see who will fit his system and who will won't.
Says that the club gave him a 5 year deal and want to give him time regardless of results (as long as they're not particularly dire i guess) until he has a squad he is happy with.
Says that in the opinion of the club, the players are the ones who have to prove their worth to the club, not Poch.

So i wouldn't get hung up on the headline or on Burt, as what Burt has written is pretty much that any player who does't buckle up and get with the Poch programme will be shown the door by Spurs.

I'm not worried about the article, as indeed it does seem great that the club is willing to back a manager and realises they can't be held to the whims of underachieving players any more.

It does concern me though, a point raised on the top of this page, as to why our players can give it ten mins worth of pressing before laying off, as opposed to keeping it up. Why can Saints players do this last season but ours can't?

It's clear there's a strategy with Poch and i'm quietly optimistic we will do well under him. **** the players that are moaning about strategies/formations etc etc (sell them if needs be).

i agree and i think its time we gave the gaffer more say. that includes levy and baldini and especially the players.

As long as we can see games like against the Scum and Southampton, where tactic/plan was obvious to see, and where our ability to both attack and defend is there, Poch can get lots of time for me.

I do think we are short a ball playing CM (for behing/alongside Eriksen), a pacy LW option and a striker that fits our setup and can be a consistent threat.

Agree with KD too. Ive seen on a number of occasions that what Poch wants from us requires 100% team effort to work, if one player isn't for the team it doesn't work.

I'd rather we got rid of those who aren't for the team and the system regardless of how good they are and got someone hungry, willing to learn and impress.

Not singling him out but just using as an example. If Dembele is given a role and be isn't performing in his role of say, pressing a man and releasing the ball quickly when received and throughout the game he fails to do this, I want him hauled off. If he isn't for the team and is going to continue playing within himself than I want him gone. Regardless of talent or rep.

I'm happy with Poch so far. Really like the way he conducts himself in interviews and I think there is clearly a philosophy building. Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela are growing into this and you can see it every week.

It's clear there's a strategy with Poch and i'm quietly optimistic we will do well under him. **** the players that are moaning about strategies/formations etc etc (sell them if needs be).

Yep agree I said this as well, if there are players who dont want to buy in, then sell them and get in players who will

I'm not worried about the article, as indeed it does seem great that the club is willing to back a manager and realises they can't be held to the whims of underachieving players any more.

It does concern me though, a point raised on the top of this page, as to why our players can give it ten mins worth of pressing before laying off, as opposed to keeping it up. Why can Saints players do this last season but ours can't?

Because last season wasn't Pochettino's first season at Southampton and it was his players and his squad. He'd got rid of anyone who didn't fit the system (e.g. Ramirez), kept those that listened and did what he wanted and then supplemented them with some signings of his own.

Our squad right now have had a couple of months working with Poch. Some of the players are flourishing, such as Rose, Capoue etc. Others aren't doing so well. They might get better, or they might not and it will be time to replace them until the whole team just clicks.

I love this (describing watching Aguero play):

"It’s like Mozart. Seriously. It is positive. Not Beethoven. Beethoven is too crazy."

Back